DIY PPF protection?

warrior15r

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was interested in doing a DIY as well. I was able to install precut headlight protection from RPM tesla and had no problem. My front bumper was professionally installed with suntek. I was debating doing the hood and front fenders myself. Anyone had any luck on DIY hood and fenders? They don't look too challenging. I was leaning towards going custom cutting myself.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you did the headlights, you won't have any problem doing the hood. Bulk is the way to save since it's pretty easy to trim. No real stretching involved but you'll need to remove the logo or cut around it. Probably the trickiest part of the hood.
I haven't done the front wings yet but they seem more like a piece of work.

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got some BULK XPEL that I wanted to do for Front bumper and the entire vehicle doors etc directly from XPEL.

I installed on the HOOD and its a lot of work to get it right with just 1 person and involves skilled labor or steady hands and patience.

lost interest and didnt want to waste the couple grand worth of clear bra again.

if you guys want i can sell them. ( Not sure if I am violating any policies, just trying to help each other)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
May I ask which solution you use? I know theres a slip and tack but I dont know the difference between the two and when/where you use it. I plan on doing my own rear bumper as my front was professionally done. Thanks!

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hand sanitizer diluted just enough with water so your sprayer will operate. This solution will allow movement of the film as long as the film hasn't been "squeegeed". You won't use the tack solution much, it's used when you really need some edge to stick quickly like when you wrap an edge.
It worked pretty well for me.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I got some BULK XPEL that I wanted to do for Front bumper and the entire vehicle doors etc directly from XPEL.

I installed on the HOOD and its a lot of work to get it right with just 1 person and involves skilled labor or steady hands and patience.

lost interest and didnt want to waste the couple grand worth of clear bra again.

if you guys want i can sell them. ( Not sure if I am violating any policies, just trying to help each other)
If you still have it, what you have XPEL left over and how much do you want for it?

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you still have it, what you have XPEL left over and how much do you want for it?
these are what i have

1. 36"x20' (Xpel) ( Unopened original box)
2. 36" x10' (suntek) (No box loose package)
3. 60" X10' (suntek)(No box loose package)
4. 2",2.5"&4" X10' Xpel roll films

Im thinking maybe 10-15% discount OBO

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If anyone has done DIY wrap for hood can they post some pictures?
You want to see the finish? Because otherwise, not much to show on a picture.
I would say that the hood is probably the easiest part to wrap or to initiate yourself. It's impressive because it's a big piece but fairly straigtforward to install, the crest beeing the only challenge.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You want to see the finish? Because otherwise, not much to show on a picture.
I would say that the hood is probably the easiest part to wrap or to initiate yourself. It's impressive because it's a big piece but fairly straigtforward to install, the crest beeing the only challenge.
Yeah finish, if you can share some pictures?

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You would'nt want to see them... currently renovating my kitchen so anything having to do with the car (including washing:() doesn't come first.
I will be happy to snap a few next time I wash it, proper color too;).
You won't get the clear clarity or gloss at least with the Xpel I installed, can't speak for other products. Protection was my first goal and I would say that from 10 feet the difference is not noticeable (other than a few booboos caused by my inexperience)