DIY Lift / Jack Pads

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's much better if the jack pads are self-retaining so you can pop them into the bottom of the car and then align the jack to the jack pad. Easier to use and less chance of mistakes that way.
That’s true, did not think about that. My mazda did not have a hole to stick something in it.

processengr

Country
Country
Did you buy this bushing - specifically part number 9540K35? I'm sure it's just an anomaly, but once you put it in your car, the picture shows a busing with a tapered top, but I know the specs say otherwise. Curious if you'd actually purchased and had tested these? Thanks.
Hi all!
I have purchased the McMaster bushings. They worked great-here is a pix:

Tmo6

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My first tire rotation with the model 3! Got 2 2-ton trolley jacks, 2 jack stands for safety, lug wrench for 21mm lug nuts, 2 home made jack pads (one made with a hockey puck and 1 inch sink stopper per my previous post, the other made with 1/4" x 4" x 4" plywood with 1" sink stopper). Rotated each side front-to-back, with ZERO damage to underside of car/battery!
20181027_092351-jpg.16721
20181027_092354-jpg.16722
20181027_092457-jpg.16723

wackojacko

Country
Country
For my friends from canada, I picked up a rubber grommet from Lowes, https://www.lowes.ca/grommets/hillman-8812-rubber-grommets_g1185553.html, the 31/32 x 1/2 size. - best size is probably 1 inch exactly or maybe 1-1/16 but could not find that in store.

I used a few washers to fill the inside and a larger one on top and a screw through them into a hockey puck (very similar to what others have posted). It doesn't hold/suspend in the hole under the car but it does fit nice and with a "on my knee action" I should be line it up and jack up the car. Probably doing my winter swap tonight.

hanergy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My first tire rotation with the model 3! Got 2 2-ton trolley jacks, 2 jack stands for safety, lug wrench for 21mm lug nuts, 2 home made jack pads (one made with a hockey puck and 1 inch sink stopper per my previous post, the other made with 1/4" x 4" x 4" plywood with 1" sink stopper). Rotated each side front-to-back, with ZERO damage to underside of car/battery!
Can you take a pic of how the jack stand is holding up the car?

Vistan

Country
Country
All this discussion about jacking up Model 3s leads me to make the following observation (which is probably one step above an internet rumor):

I went out to the recently opened (and temporary) Tesla Service Center in Oceanside, CA to check things out. During a brief tour of the service area, I noted that they had no automobile lifts (because it IS a temporary facility, until the Carlsbad, CA Service Center opens in the spring of 2019). Instead, they use four hydraulic jacks to jack up the cars and place them on large round jack stands. I was told that they put a tech on each of the four jacks to raise all four corners in unison IN ORDER TO AVOID FLEXING THE CAR WHICH CAN CAUSE CRACKING OF THE REAR WINDOW. Don't know if this applies only to Model S, and/or Model X, and/or Model 3. They did have a model S and a model X up on the jack stands.

wackojacko

Country
Country
For my friends from canada, I picked up a rubber grommet from Lowes, https://www.lowes.ca/grommets/hillman-8812-rubber-grommets_g1185553.html, the 31/32 x 1/2 size. - best size is probably 1 inch exactly or maybe 1-1/16 but could not find that in store.

I used a few washers to fill the inside and a larger one on top and a screw through them into a hockey puck (very similar to what others have posted). It doesn't hold/suspend in the hole under the car but it does fit nice and with a "on my knee action" I should be line it up and jack up the car. Probably doing my winter swap tonight.
Just to follow up on my Jack pads. Turns our my jack is a little to high and I could not get the puck-pads to work with the rubber grommet attached, just a few MM too high. Ended up just removing the grommet and lining it up and jacking with just the puck - worked fine. Of course I run the risk of it moving/shifting in the future when lifting, I might try to find a lower profile screw and tighten it down more. I just needed to get the snow on as this might have been the last "nice" evening to do them.

wackojacko

Country
Country

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Just to follow up on my Jack pads. Turns our my jack is a little to high and I could not get the puck-pads to work with the rubber grommet attached, just a few MM too high. Ended up just removing the grommet and lining it up and jacking with just the puck - worked fine.
The fact that the rubber grommet was preventing the puck from sitting flush with the lifting surface means you shouldn't use those grommets, even with a lower jack. You don't want to transfer lifting force up into the centering hole. In other words, you need a shorter centering device to prevent possible damage.

wackojacko

Country
Country
The fact that the rubber grommet was preventing the puck from sitting flush with the lifting surface means you shouldn't use those grommets, even with a lower jack. You don't want to transfer lifting force up into the centering hole. In other words, you need a shorter centering device to prevent possible damage.
Sorry might not have been clear. I could not get the jack under the car with the puck installed. The puck was flush the grommet was fully up in the hole. It was a ground clearance issue. the grommet I used was only 1/2 inch in height and screw extended above maybe another 1/8 inch. It was real close I just did not want to force it and be stuck.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Sorry might not have been clear. I could not get the jack under the car with the puck installed. The puck was flush the grommet was fully up in the hole. It was a ground clearance issue. the grommet I used was only 1/2 inch in height and screw extended above maybe another 1/8 inch. It was real close I just did not want to force it and be stuck.
It sounds like you fit the puck (minus the grommet) just fine. That implies the grommet was not fitting all the way into the alignment hole.

wackojacko

Country
Country
It sounds like you fit the puck (minus the grommet) just fine. That implies the grommet was not fitting all the way into the alignment hole.
No, I put the puck with grommet was in the hole and flush with the underside of the car, and tried to slide the jack under and it would not fit. Tried with puck with grommet on the jack to slide under and it was just rubbing enough that I did not want to scratch/get stuck.

my jack is similar to this type.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62584.html

So the puck sits in the "cup" of the jack and it's the lip on the jack that is causing the issue.

I could clearly see the puck was flat on the underside of the car. It's a height issue with the jack style I have.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Kudos to all of you do-it-yourselfers!

For those who don't want to spend their time and money sourcing parts that may or may not work perfectly, forum member No-Petro has offered a quick and affordable solution. I just received a set of four of his version 2 jack pads and posted a short review here:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/review-of-ver-2-no-petro-jack-pads.9412/

They have a perfect fit!
I’d also like to give 2 thumbs up to no petro. Just tried them out and all 4 fit perfectly on the car. He even includes a nice little mesh bag to keep them together in your trunk or frunk. Jacked the car up, no problem. Should get years of use knowing how durable hockey pucks are. Will get to use them next week when I take my car to have my rims powder coated (could start a spirited debate about whether or not to powder coat the lug nut area :) )

5e41d764-d0f1-46c5-bc26-e0694ee943f8-jpeg.17307

Last edited:

Lon12

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Unfortunately I ran out of time before my winter tires arrived. I couldn’t find the rubber stoppers at any of the local hardware or plumbing stores.
So after scrounging around my house I came up with this.
I used a fairly durable plastic type foam from a shipping box. Cut 1” square then cut the corners till it was a snug fit. Usual deck screw and washer.
Red Green is my inspiration but couldn’t figure out how to do it with duct tape. :)
b5b5b02b-c163-4726-9038-caeb6cfacce3-jpeg.17389

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Unfortunately I ran out of time before my winter tires arrived. I couldn’t find the rubber stoppers at any of the local hardware or plumbing stores.
So after scrounging around my house I came up with this.
I used a fairly durable plastic type foam from a shipping box. Cut 1” square then cut the corners till it was a snug fit. Usual deck screw and washer.
Red Green is my inspiration but couldn’t figure out how to do it with duct tape. :)
"Remember, any tool can be the right tool."