DIY Lift / Jack Pads

jsmay311

Country
Country
Here's my contribution...

1. I didn't have any hockey pucks laying around, but I did have some 2x4 lumber that I could cut into short 3-4 inch lengths to use instead. Seems to work just as well, especially given that the jack point surfaces protrude below the adjacent frame rail, battery pack, and trim pieces.

2. I couldn't find a grommet at the local hardware store that matched the OP's, but I did find a 1-inch diameter rubber stopper at Home Depot that also works well.

Just cut the stopper in half, and screw the fatter half to your 2x4 with the fatter end (which is 1-inch in diameter) facing up. (If you don't cut it in half, it will be too tall and bottom out inside the frame rail.) I found it fit well into the hole and held the 2x4 in place.

screenshot-2018-09-07-at-10-55-27-pm-png.14218

screenshot-2018-09-07-at-10-55-41-pm-png.14219

screenshot-2018-09-07-at-10-55-57-pm-png.14220

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's my DIY jack pad.
A piece of 2x4, a 3/4" long piece of 1" dowel rod, one layer of electrical tape over the dowel rod, and a screw.
It stays in the car quite nicely this way.

I'll ship everybody a set of 4 for $50. ;)

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

2Kap

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's under an inch so probably not big enough to stick. Maybe if you tighten a washer down over it, but not very thick so probably still won't work.
Ah ok. I saw some slightly over an inch, so I’ll try those. I got my hockey pucks coming in from amazon tomorrow. Thanks!

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hockey pucks turn out to be incredibly tough. They're solid vulcanized rubber. They should have no problem holding a car up.

A couple suggestions:

1. Rubber stoppers are a great idea for the pin. Wood dowel or plastic rod would be good too.

2. Don't allow anything to press on the top of the hole. The purpose of the pin is mostly to locate the puck in the center of the lifting area, etc.

3. Consider using a magnet or o-ring to hold the puck in, like the commercial ones.

Last edited:

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a common automotive two-post lift (Bendpak asymmetric), with the standard rubber-surfaced lifting pads (about 4" in diameter).

I have old cars that certainly show damage from careless lifting. But I am careful. Do I need pads as described here? I can't imagine Tesla designing a car otherwise; wait - yes I can!

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Plastics can be pretty strong.
You'd have to make sure you print them using "full-fill" - you don't want to print hollow ones. ;)
Strange you would mention that. Previously I printed one in PETG and gave it to a friend, but the description said it was printed in ABS, so decided to print one in ABS last night, to see if it felt different, except forgot to change the infill to 100%. I doubt my lightweight version (25% infill) will hold up.

ABS and PETG are pretty much interchangeable, but when you want to lift more than a ton, maybe it makes a difference.

P&J

boy does this bring back memories --- I was selling a set of 4 hockey puck jack pads (Hi tech removable eye bolt so they would stay flat) in 2000 for Corvettes which had the same panel break issues.

As the world turns -- now updating my set of Corvette pucks with the 1 inch grommet. Pucks will take the weight. A set I sold the local tire shop has been going for 18 years with no failures.

The interweb was a fun place 18 years ago :)

Last edited: