DIY Lift / Jack Pads

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I need 4 lift pads. Mainly these are for taking to local garages when I need state inspection or tires. (And I need inspection now because I took delivery out of state.) Also probably use to do tire rotation myself with a few borrowed jacks. I really like the reverse logic pads, but didn't want to spend $100 for a set. What I like about them is that they will stick in place. http://www.reverselogic.us/tesla.html#!/Jack-Pad-for-Tesla-Model-3/p/102248217/category=28120348

So I read about some folks using hockey pucks... great base but still need to put a peg on it to ensure proper position. So after trying a few rubber bumpers, I found a rubber grommet at the local hardware store that fits perfectly. I used...
  • hockey pucks
  • grommets that are 1-1/32 inch outside diameter (detailed specs in attached picture)
  • wood screws 5mm x 30mm
  • #10 washers (small ones)
  • larger washers (not sure what size as I found them in my bucket of random hardware)
The small washers fit snug inside the grommets and simply help position the lower portion and keep it from sliding around on the screw. The larger washer covers enough of the grommet top to hold securely. The screws were perfect; any thicker might be tough to screw into the hockey pucks and length was good to get enough bite though a little longer would be okay also and not go through the puck; important part for the screws is have bigger threads to bite into the puck rather than fine threading.

Do not over tighten the screws; These bushings just fit snug as is and compressing them will make them wider and not fit or very tough to remove. If they wear a little it would probably be easy to tighten a little and make them spread, but for as much as I plan to use them, I expect it to be fine as is.

So in all this cost maybe $30 (and I bought a 12 pack of pucks since best value and may make some for other folks). The hockey pucks I bought from Amazon were even in a nice little mesh bag (actually two bags of 6) that I threw the pads in to keep in the car. I also plan to make a mirror hang tag with instructions for use and other important directions and warnings for the car. I believe the holes are exactly one inch. I can't fit a 1" flat wood boring drill bit in but a 1" rubber bumper slides right in and out.

img_20180624_123747-jpg.10636

img_20180624_123945-jpg.10637

img_20180624_124128-jpg.10638

img_20180624_123348-jpg.10639

Last edited:

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's a great setup - I've been considering doing the same, but couldn't really decide what to make the pads out of (grew up in SoCal, doncha know, so "Hockey Pucks" are an unknown to me). But the hard rubber will make for an excellent stable support.
Thanks, I think I'll steal this idea.

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure how common these grommets are to find. A 1" rubber bumper might work if you tighten it down some to spread it a little more. I just didn't feel like wasting time experimenting.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Out of curiosity, have you actually tried lifting the vehicle with these pads, either using one with a floor jack or 4 with a garage lift? I just want to make sure that the hockey pucks are strong enough to take the weight without crushing or breaking up...

Also, what hardware store did you get the bushings from?

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I made a similar set of hockey pucks for my P85. They worked great when I recently rotated my tires. No problem with the weight on them.
Did you rotate front to back only so you only had to lift up one side of the car at a time or did you lift at all four jack points to swap the fronts across to the back and the back straight forward?

Rick59

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Can someone confirm the diameter of the Model 3 jack hole? Tried my Model X jack pad (photo above post) and it wouldn’t go in. It’s 1” diameter.

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd like to make a set of these, but I can't find the grommet. Is it important to be that exact size? What about 1" or 1-1/16"?
Guess that link doesn't work and I don't see them on that site anymore.
http://www.screwsandbolts.com/Knock-Out-Bushing-Rubber-Grommets-p/64376.htm
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...r-bushings-10-count/64367/p-1444439897500.htm

I think 1-1/16" would be way too tight. Mine are a little snug to get out. 1" rubber grommet would probably work because if you can tighten it down a little to expand to the perfect fit that you like.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm thinking I'll just screw a short piece of 1" dowel rod onto a piece of 2x4 and call it a day. :)

You guys are much too fancy. :p
The jack pad area is much smaller than a 2x4 and oddly shaped. The centering hole is not important. I think a hockey puck on its own is still the best DIY solution

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The rubber grommets are mainly to make it stick in the hole for easy jack positioning. Otherwise just put something like a puck on your lift and carefully raise it into the proper position. My mechanic liked them when he did my inspection.

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Come to find out hockey pucks turn extremely well with a razor sharp wood chisel; at least until your drive belt starts coming apart and leaves you stranded waiting for parts. The smaller diameter isn't tall enough to tell if it'll hold itself in the car or not but it's promising. Would anybody be interested in a set of these? They'd be pretty cheap.