Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

DIY Chrome Delete

37K views 104 replies 26 participants last post by  chiapet15 
#1 ·
Starting on some customization for my two day old car. I'm doing a full chrome delete because I don't think chrome has much contrast with white and it looks way sportier in black. I'll post pictures and details as I go, but it will definitely take way more time than I had planned. Also have been busy this weekend so not much progress yet. I'm doing a few unique things that others may want to try and will show it all in this thread.

#4 ·
I also covered the door sill plate. Again I didn't want any chrome and I like the red accent so I put a red piece underneath for the lettering. You can slightly see the edge of the piece underneath (on side cameras also) but not too significant and probably much easier than trying to cut the full size accurately. This was a little harder to position because I didn't have the lettering to guide me so just kinda centered on the plate. It does wrap down over the edges of the plate and needed good heat to make it stay there. (Same with camera housings.). A hot hairdryer works just fine.
Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Trunk

#5 · (Edited)
I used 3M 1080 satin smoldering red, in case anyone is wondering. I like it a lot. Reminds me of the mulitcoat red paint. Slightly dark tint but brightens in bright light and has a little sparkle. Though I'm pretty sure it is at least one shade darker than the actual red paint.

I tried the precut interior door pieces, but really wasn't happy with the first one I did because the cut around the button didn't look very good. I may try again without covering the buttons. Mostly I wanted these to cover the manual latches, but hasn't been an issue so far as people ask how to open it.

#6 ·
Did the rear logo tonight. This definitely takes a little patience. I worked out the technique on this one and will take some in progress pictures and add some notes when I get to the front badge. (BTW license frame is going black and I would like to put red TESLA letters across the bottom of it.)
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Fin Font Wing Symbol Slope

#8 ·
I also covered the door sill plate. Again I didn't want any chrome and I like the red accent so I put a red piece underneath for the lettering. You can slightly see the edge of the piece underneath (on side cameras also) but not too significant and probably much easier than trying to cut the full size accurately. This was a little harder to position because I didn't have the lettering to guide me so just kinda centered on the plate. It does wrap down over the edges of the plate and needed good heat to make it stay there. (Same with camera housings.). A hot hairdryer works just fine. View attachment 9616
View attachment 9617
That was a great idea putting that red underneath. Wish I thought of that when I put mine on...haha

#9 ·
This looks great. I wish you were out here so I could see it.

#11 ·
I wasn't excited about any chrome at all showing, so instead of using the little T inserts for side markers I first put down a piece of red then the precut piece from RPM. RPM Tesla has video for install of the side camera wraps.
View attachment 9614
View attachment 9615
Hi there, how did you install the side camera wrap so nicely. I bought the same wrap from RPM Tesla but in satin white. The vinyl keeps bunching up at the edge. I followed RPM's video, but no luck. Thanks!

Attachments

#12 ·
I almost decided to go with white for those also; figured I can always change it, but I really like the black carbon there now. Use a hairdryer for some heat and a plastic squeegee to gut it tucked in there good and it is still hard. A long fingernail might work better but be careful because you can cut into it also with that. Also push down rather than slide across or it will get bunched up. It is hard to get to stick back there too. Mine have a couple spots where they don't quite stick but you don't really notice it back there, probably imperfections are hidden better in black also. I also didn't have the long edge where the light is quite matched up perfectly and just cut off the excess with a hobby knife.

I will probably do the handles next and then get to mirrors and window trim. I know mirrors will be the hardest. Surely a couple failed attempts before I am satisfied.

#13 ·
So best tip for the logo is just put a piece over it and cut around with just the right amount of overhang then tuck it down the side and under. It is pretty close tolerance on how much can be tucked vs show some chrome vs too much and sticks out. Cut carefully and try not to touch/scratch the paint. inside corners, I just cut a slice and they split and show a tiny bit of chrome. Outside corners, I cut to one side so that one part folds down and around the corner and the adjoining side folds over it. Don't cut quite all the way to the top edge as it will stretch and conform some. Also on this one I didn't use heat until I had it all down and I don't think it came out as well so use heat as you are folding the sides down. The good news is that the edge doesn't have to be perfectly smooth as it tucks in a tiny bit.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Bumper Trunk

Fin Sleeve Font Tree Symbol

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

#14 ·
I also covered the door sill plate. Again I didn't want any chrome and I like the red accent so I put a red piece underneath for the lettering. You can slightly see the edge of the piece underneath (on side cameras also) but not too significant and probably much easier than trying to cut the full size accurately. This was a little harder to position because I didn't have the lettering to guide me so just kinda centered on the plate. It does wrap down over the edges of the plate and needed good heat to make it stay there. (Same with camera housings.). A hot hairdryer works just fine. View attachment 9616
View attachment 9617
Wow. Your red-on-CF looks amazing. Not a bug fan of CF by itself but the side markers and door sills like great with the red. Someone needs to sell this...

#15 · (Edited)
The white handle wraps from RPM Tesla match pretty well, probably as good as you are going to find in vinyl. 99% sure that it is 3M 1080 Gloss White with Gold Sparkle. I also have a sample of 3M 1080 Satin Frozen Vanilla which is the same color in satin. Satin might actually work better if you don't mind less gloss as it doesn't reflect funny at some angles. Avery Satin White Perl is close and I think I may prefer it, but just a tad yellow; the gloss version just doesn't look right.

It is a little difficult to put on. Make sure you use some heat to get the edges to go down smooth. Watch the video they have for directions. And careful with the ink lines for alignment. I think some of the alcohol wipe on my hands or the door smeared the ink around, but it did clean up.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

#16 ·
Even with not a perfect match and you can see a couple wrinkles in the corners, I love the (almost) matching handles way better than chrome. Would be great if they make it an option someday or someone makes after market painted ones if not too hard to install.

#21 ·
Additional note on the handles... I would recommend using the pieces from RPM Tesla because they do work reasonably well and after doing it I can say that it definitely would be hard to cut out while wrapping. I just wish they would add a little extra wedge shape in the template to fold back on the end so that no chrome shows when you pull it out.

#22 ·
I probably won't get to anymore until next week. Then the fun part of the window trim and mirror. Didn't order templates for it as I couldn't justify the price for those so will see how it goes. Then I will do wheels and some interior work.

#24 ·
So I haven't done anything else besides print these awesome templates out which should be a big help...
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/open-source-diy-model-3-console-wrap-template.6976/
I figure I can cut with a straight edge most of it and it should go relatively smoothly and will probably still use a knife at application to trim around the cup holders precisely.

For now here is a pic of the handle wraps when you get just the right light and angle that you can see they are much more reflective than the paint and look almost chrome. But really I am satisfied with the color and you rarely get this effect.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#26 ·
Not to hijack this thread but I find this to be relevant to the topic: has anyone tried this chrome delete kit?

https://unpluggedperformance.com/product/diy-chrome-delete-model-3/
Not a bad idea for precut templates, but for that price you may be able to find someone to do it. The vinyl is less than $50 worth. I took a first shot at the long trim over the windows tonight. I made a couple small miscuts and will probably redo it because it is not perfect, but doesn't look bad at all. So precut would be nice, but the price is quite high and not sure how the mirror is going to work because it is going to need a lot of stretching to fit smooth and so will definitely also need some trimming regardless. I'll post a photo tomorrow and hopefully work on it some over the weekend.

#27 ·
I'm finally making a little progress, but still busy with too much else. Anyway made it through about half the passenger side. I redid the over the door and it worked well. But first I did the rear part which was mostly spread on and trim and tuck. Start with this rear piece because you can get it on, trim at the seam before the door and then start there for going over the doors aligning it nicely. I also redid the rear door once because I cut too narrow and there were tiny bits of chrome showing underneath and I will probably redo it again because this time there is some dirt that blew in and stuck under it, but good enough for now. I attempted the mirror (need to do that before the front door) and was going great, then... not so great, so will have to try again which I expected. I think I will need two or three pieces to cover it nicely but should be able to get the top and front in one piece to look nice. Once I figure out the technique on this side, I will post pics and tips and maybe a video for aplying all pieces when I do the other side. Also started the console wrap and that is way easier to apply, plus I can work with the AC on for super hot days like now. Amazing how much better it looks without that gloss finish. I used the templates posted in another thread ( https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/open-source-diy-model-3-console-wrap-template.6976/ ) and just printed the PDF at 100%, laid that on top of the vinyl, cut with a straight edge. I still had to trim a little off one side and rough cut the cup holders to just trim them once all firmly in place and it worked great.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Material property

Car Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Gear shift

#28 ·
Finally finished! ...one side. ...almost... ...maybe...
So mirrors are, of course, very hard to do. It has a couple imperfections and it would have been easier with four hands but not sure you can fit them in there anyway. You pretty much just have to attack it and start stretching and see what works. I think more heat would have helped some. It is tough to get it going then the excess gets tight and I trim that a little for relief then that starts to tear where it was cut. From two steps back it looks great. I may take a shot and see what plastidip looks like on the mirror. Not sure how it will handle folding (though my auto fold is off) because there is a felt pad under that will rub the surface and might start rubbing it off. I still need to redo the rear window trim because of dirt under it, but it isn't bad really. I will probably try the driver side mirror and if it doesn't go any better I will try plastidip or see what the shop will charge me when I get ceramic and bumper PPF. I don't think the other pieces are very tough but still takes a lot of time, patience, and going slow. Don't forget the drain hole (?) under the mirror. Also, man that PA tag is going to ruin my color scheme. Wish they still had the DARE plates (black plate, white numbers, red/white logo).

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive side-view mirror

#36 ·
Finally finished! ...one side. ...almost... ...maybe...
So mirrors are, of course, very hard to do. It has a couple imperfections and it would have been easier with four hands but not sure you can fit them in there anyway. You pretty much just have to attack it and start stretching and see what works. I think more heat would have helped some. It is tough to get it going then the excess gets tight and I trim that a little for relief then that starts to tear where it was cut. From two steps back it looks great. I may take a shot and see what plastidip looks like on the mirror. Not sure how it will handle folding (though my auto fold is off) because there is a felt pad under that will rub the surface and might start rubbing it off. I still need to redo the rear window trim because of dirt under it, but it isn't bad really. I will probably try the driver side mirror and if it doesn't go any better I will try plastidip or see what the shop will charge me when I get ceramic and bumper PPF. I don't think the other pieces are very tough but still takes a lot of time, patience, and going slow. Don't forget the drain hole (?) under the mirror. Also, man that PA tag is going to ruin my color scheme. Wish they still had the DARE plates (black plate, white numbers, red/white logo).

View attachment 11052 View attachment 11053 View attachment 11054 View attachment 11055 View attachment 11056
Your DIY wrap looks great, even better than the pro job that I paid for. Nice work! I've been tempted to try this myself but the time, effort and patience of getting it right was more than I willing to attempt. Yours really came out nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.