Disillusioned by the long wait for the $35k Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla is still planning to sell a base model for $35,000. They have always sold the highest-optioned versions of the vehicles first, during production ramp-up, before selling base models. The production ramp-up for the Model 3 is not much different.

But if you can't stand to wait any longer, then it would be best if you requested your deposit back. You can always wait until the car is in full production and Tesla stores actually have cars on-site for purchase.

P.S. - I've edited the title to be less click-baiting.

AdamHolmes

Country
Country
Tesla is still planning to sell a base model for $35,000. They have always sold the highest-optioned versions of the vehicles first, during production ramp-up, before selling base models. The production ramp-up for the Model 3 is not much different.

But if you can't stand to wait any longer, then it would be best if you requested your deposit back. You can always wait until the car is in full production and Tesla stores actually have cars on-site for purchase.

P.S. - I've edited the title to be less click-baiting.
You should have gotten rid of the whole post.

"Scam" "bait and switch", stating that Tesla will not make a 35k version when the have been clear about their intentions from day one.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your deposit is fully refundable so there is no scam here and no pressure to order a car you don’t want with a “Hold My Place” option.

Frustrated can be a fair word to use here, but scam — overly strong in my opinion.

Elon has said starting out with the $35k would have crippled Tesla. They needed the higher margins first and the volume production scale to help bring margins to the base model car.

They also never in their wildest dreams thought they’d end up with over 400,000 pre-orders for a car.

The car is amazing — hang in there if you can. You won’t touch the Model 3 at $35k with any other car on the road. I just wouldn’t call a refundable deposit with a no pressure sales process a scam...

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You should have gotten rid of the whole post.

"Scam" "bait and switch", stating that Tesla will not make a 35k version when the have been clear about their intentions from day one.
I completely understand that feeling, and also wish I didn't have to see threads like this pop up... but I'd rather openly discuss members' frustrations and directly address misinformation and misunderstandings than pretend that neither exist.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The long wait has been frustrating for me too (I’ve wanted to own a Tesla since 2009), plus the fact that the Model 3 turned out to be more expensive than a lot of us expected. I would’ve liked to be able to choose options that should’ve been available much sooner, such as the white interior, and I’m getting worried about missing out on significant tax incentives that seem to have benefited the richer folks, many who have already taken advantage of the incentive, and leave us poorer folks in the dust...

But a lot of things still keep me positive by waiting a bit longer such as: the car keeps improving (2nd gen seats, MCU, for example), manufacturing process and quality control are getting better (aka decrease in panel gap issues), I gain more knowledge about the car from current owners’ reviews (best way to PPF, clean the car, aftermarket accessories), I don’t have to deal with problems such as swerving autopilot glitches, long braking distance, mismatched headliner material, or flickering center screens, I get the privilege to choose more options that weren’t available before, I have more time to make up my mind about the “tough” decisions such as picking an exterior color or going for the dual motor option or coming up with a clever name for the car, I get to save more money, etc...

And of course I don’t want Tesla to die!

Looking back at my experience test driving the Model S twice, two years apart, the second time felt so different and so much better than the first because of all the improvements made. I realized that Tesla’s rate of innovation is so high that the sooner I get my car the sooner it would leave me wanting as I see each iteration of improvements, new options, and new models become available.

Amazing how fast time flies looking back when none of us had never seen the Model 3 (or “Model E” as it was known back then). Now that the Model 3 has been in production for almost a year and production ramp up hitting the steep portion of the S curve heading for 6,000 units per week, it won’t be long before I get mine, and it will be better than I previously expected.

For those of you who are in a similar position, just hang in there a bit longer and we shall be greatly rewarded!

JBsC6

Country
Country
I’ve become after great anticipation disillusioned by the supposed requirement of awd to require the extra 90 mile battery for 9 grand.

I don’t want to pay 9 grand for 90 extra miles of range I don’t need.

I am considering cancelling my reservation.

I’m growing tired of waiting after 2 and a half years and quite frankly just losing interest.

I wish those who have take. Orders or are still waiting the best of everything with regards to the ownership experience.

I haven’t asked for a refund yet but I feel that’s the direction I’m going.

I’m sure my reservation won’t be missed.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla is a business and they do need to make money. Most companies offer the higher optioned products first. Development and manufacturing of this car hasn't been cheap and the delays compound the issue over time making the higher config cars more necessary. With rebates and tax credits vanishing as time goes on it subsidizes a big portion of the added cost.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve become after great anticipation disillusioned by the supposed requirement of awd to require the extra 90 mile battery for 9 grand.

I’m growing tired of waiting after 2 and a half years and quite frankly just losing interest.

I wish those who have take. Orders or are still waiting the best of everything with regards to the ownership experience.

Totally respect any decision you make, it's your money after all.

And, you can always re-reserve, wait times are getting better.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Where are you getting this "supposed requirement" from?

And I'm curious as to what exactly you think the wait times remaining are. Because from the company's timeline - which they've actually been tracking well (if not exceeding) for the past several months - they should be hitting 5k/wk some time in June, and then 3-6 months later start delivering SRs.

But, if you don't want the car anymore, that's fully your choice.

JBsC6

Country
Country
Tesla is a business and they do need to make money. Most companies offer the higher optioned products first. Development and manufacturing of this car hasn't been cheap and the delays compound the issue over time making the higher config cars more necessary. With rebates and tax credits vanishing as time goes on it subsidizes a big portion of the added cost.
While I respect Tesla’s need as a business and can appreciate enthusiasts patience I’m just stating I’m loosing mine.

I’m getting this information from the reservation site and various places on the Internet .

I’m sure eventually in 2019 there will be the option of not getting the long range battery for 90 extra miles range at a cost of 9 grand just to get awd ....I’m just not going to be one of those people. As tesla is entitled to do what is their best interest so are we as consumers. Nothing personal.

For those that wait I wish you the very best. I believe this to be an excellent product.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I’m getting this information from the reservation site and various places on the Internet .
Unless things have changed, the reservation site has always said AWD with a choice of either SR or LR. And "various places on the internet" couldn't possibly be a more ambiguous - and dubious - source.

Exact wording from the config page:
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Choice of 220 or 310 mile range
Indeed, the timeframe for AWD SR/LR listed from the very beginning was, quote, "Jul-Sep 2018". If they hit 5k in June and start SR deliveries 3-6 months later, then the actual start of deliveries will be between September and December. Not by any stretch a massive delay - despite all of their production problems. The only thing that's really been delayed is SR without AWD. So if you were already planning to wait until Jul-Sep 2018, I'm confused as to how you'd think you've been facing a huge delay.

But again - if you don't want the car anymore, that's certainly up to how you feel.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I respect Tesla’s need as a business and can appreciate enthusiasts patience I’m just stating I’m loosing mine.

I’m sure eventually in 2019 there will be the option of not getting the long range battery for 90 extra miles range at a cost of 9 grand just to get awd ....I’m just not going to be one of those people. As tesla is entitled to do what is their best interest so are we as consumers. Nothing personal.

For those that wait I wish you the very best. I believe this to be an excellent product.
Not that you want it, but remember the long range battery isn’t just 90 miles for $9,000 — it’s 90 miles + faster charging + faster acceleration + more miles on your warranty. Again not aiming to shift you to long range, but just feel that’s an important point to make from a value proposition position.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see the bigger battery as insurance. With the drivetrain theoretically lasting a million miles I'll probably keep this car for a very very long time provided the reliability is good. When my Leaf goes back in 3 years this will become my second car. So with the larger battery there is more buffer for the battery to degrade. At 215miles at perfect conditions the quality of my trips to see family and friends could shift over time. 310 is enough to get there and halfway back.

Country
Country

I’ve felt the same frustration after the delays. It is a bit of an emotional roller coaster.

Unless the thought of Tesla having your $1k deposit is a problem, I’d just wait until the invite to configure comes and then decide.

Either way I respect your decision and good luck.

One other thing, I spend a bit of time in my friends TM3 and there is nothing else like it. Really amazing.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Please, people, stop trying to sell someone who doesn't want LR up to LR. It's annoying. 9k is a huge amount of money for some people. It's just like the people who insist that AP is a "must buy". And that of course you have to pick a paint option. And how can you turn down PUP? And on and on. If you listen to these people, you *must* buy a Model 3 that costs nearly as much as a Model S.

Some people here actually have financial limits. Just, stop.

Signed,
- Someone who also doesn't want LR.

P.S. - No, that's not an invitation to try to convince him to drop AWD for whatever your preferred options are.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please, people, stop trying to sell someone who doesn't want LR up to LR. It's annoying. 9k is a huge amount of money for some people. It's just like the people who insist that AP is a "must buy". And that of course you have to pick a paint option. And how can you turn down PUP? And on and on. If you listen to these people, you *must* buy a Model 3 that costs nearly as much as a Model S.

Some people here actually have financial limits. Just, stop.

Signed,
- Someone who also doesn't want LR.

P.S. - No, that's not an invitation to try to convince him to drop AWD for whatever your preferred options are.
I’m not sure if you’re referring to me, but to clarify I’m not pushing long range battery at all — just clarifying it’s more than just an extra 90 miles of range.

However in the US you do have to consider long range battery can be the difference between $7,500 and $3,750 on federal tax credit dollars assuming someone also wants PUP. To that end the difference is $5,250. Not a small amount either, but a factor no doubt.

If car 200k crosses the line in early July as many expect and standard range comes online 3-6 months after 5k cars per week its most likely the max credit on a standard range car will be $3,750.

C141medic

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I totally hear you. I just canceled last week. I was in the May-July group and have no regrets. I’m planning on waiting for the leases to open up. I realize it won’t be until 2019 but there’ll definitely be more choices for EV’s and hopefully more M3 configurations such as the SR.

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For me, Karen hit the nail on the head. I'm not giving up PUP or EAP, and 45-7500-2000(NY) is really the top of my budget. I'd spend the 9 on LR if I had it. The wife and I ran the numbers multiple times. We could do it, but shouldn't. We might end up bailing for 2 reasons: #1 we really need a new car sooner rather than later, I don't know how much longer we can wait. #2 the full rebate is ALMOST necessary to make the numbers work. I'll hold out as long as I can, praying that I can get the SR with full rebate, I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping and praying. If they hadn't switched AWD and SR, I would be getting my car soon. It sucks, but it is what it is. Tesla can keep my $1000 for a while, maybe I'll find some more money in the couch cushions. I guess I'll want it back eventually if I can't work something out.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...praying that I can get the SR with full rebate...
I'm still holding out hope that Tesla is pushing out crossing the 200,000 US sales threshold until July. If that happens, the full rebate is available through the end of this year. And if the production ramp-up continues making good progress, I think there's a decent chance that a day-1 line-waiter such as yourself might get an SR car before the end of the year.
:rainbow: