Discrimination Against Tesla Owners!

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Off subject a little but how will dealers respond when Mfrs want to send out OTA updates to cars they have built like Tesla? Will the dealers have to do it?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Off subject a little but how will dealers respond when Mfrs want to send out OTA updates to cars they have built like Tesla? Will the dealers have to do it?
That's a good question. I bet they'll try to fight it in some states.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe Ford is doing over the air updates today. Their old method with Sync 2 systems was that you could download an update to a USB drive, spend an hour in the car and do the update. This was buggy at best, but if you didn't do it yourself, you had to pay the dealership to do it, there were no free upgrades.

On Sync 3 which is their latest infotainment platform across their line up, they were moving to Wifi updates. I followed the Pickup guys pretty close until about 2 years ago. I believe Ford started installing Sync 3 with the 2016 or 2017 model year pickups and I remember their discussions about what it would take to connect to their home wifi's or hotspots. 2 years ago reports were very sketchy and very few had it working, but it was the plan and the roll out. I also don't recall if these updates were just for Sync or if they could update other modules/computers in the truck. It was in it's infancy.

So yes, other manufactures are moving to over the air updates, however limited in scope. I could see how this might bubble up and become part of the bigger conversation on all of the interactions between purchaser and manufacture vs dealership.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a 2011 F150 and remember that whole conversation. I was never able to get much out of Sync. It has a pretty impressive list of features but I had trouble getting them to work. Best thing I did was to install a Kenwood Nav head. Was driving it the other day and the tech seemed so dated. LOL. Looking at a Y or X to replace it. Probably X.