Disappointed in the lack of qi wireless phone charger

eye.surgeon

Country
Country
For a tech-oriented company, I'm surprised at the lack of wireless qi phone charging in the M3. Many cars have been offering these for years and it's rapidly replacing conventional charging. The cost to Tesla would probably be $10. Having two old-school wired charging spots in the M3 is already looking quaintly outdated and the car isn't even in mass production yet. Within a couple years that feature is going to look like having dual cassette players in your car.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So my thoughts...

The most popular selling phone just added Qi wireless charging within the last few weeks.

Give it time and I’m sure Model 3 will have it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My thoughts:

I was excited by Qi charging when I got my Nexus 5 about four years ago. After trying it out, I've come to the conclusion that it's a terrible alternative. It's very inefficient, and it really lags behind the new high-power charging options that started coming out about the same time. I think it's going to remain unpopular.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My thoughts:

I was excited by Qi charging when I got my Nexus 5 about four years ago. After trying it out, I've come to the conclusion that it's a terrible alternative. It's very inefficient, and it really lags behind the new high-power charging options that started coming out about the same time. I think it's going to remain unpopular.
In my short one week experience with Qi, that’s my impression as well. I see it as a replacement for when I would otherwise just put my phone down on a desk or counter. Nothing more and nothing less.

Jayc

Country
Country
There is a USB power port so it should be straightforward to setup a Qi charge mat. But just imagine if it charges the phone at 1/10 the rate compared to corded then you will probably not use it in the long run.

eye.surgeon

Country
Country
The latest Qi protocol features fast charging. It's plenty fast enough for your car where you're mostly looking at topping up or maintaining your battery while driving. At the VERY least they should offer both. Having owned a model S for 3 years, sadly I'm not surprised though--Tesla has been way behind in infotainment tech for some time. My daughters Civic trumps my model S infotainment system in many ways.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The latest Qi protocol features fast charging. It's plenty fast enough for your car where you're mostly looking at topping up or maintaining your battery while driving. At the VERY least they should offer both. Having owned a model S for 3 years, sadly I'm not surprised though--Tesla has been way behind in infotainment tech for some time. My daughters Civic trumps my model S infotainment system in many ways.
I still go back to what I said above. The most popular phone in the world just got wireless charging a few weeks ago. It doesn’t even support fast charging yet until a future iOS update.

I think there are bigger things to worry about for production of Model 3 right now.

I’m sure the car eventually gets this and if you want it sooner, adding it yourself shouldn’t be too hard.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla has been way behind in infotainment tech for some time.
Google's Nexus & Pixel phones gave up on Qi 3 years ago. Apple is just now introducing it. I see no reason why Tesla would bother with such an unpopular charging protocol. They covered the big three. I'm sure third parties will offer other solutions as well.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm going to agree with the op- i love qi charging on my s6. I get to work and i drop my phone on the charger. I get home and i drop it on the charger. I always have a fully charged phone (isn't that one of the advantages of an EV also?). Never have to untangle a wire from all the other crap on my desk, and because my s6 has a micro usb, never have to spend 30 seconds flipping the connector over 3 or 4 times trying to figure out which is the right direction.

I'm sure that EM and Franz are iPhone users, like 20% of the rest of the world, and would never consider Qi because Apple didn't believe in it until a couple of days ago.
It's too bad because the phone support in the three would be perfect to have built a qi charger into.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get to work and i drop my phone on the charger. I get home and i drop it on the charger. I always have a fully charged phone
This.

I haven't even thought about the charge state of my phone since I got my first qi compatible phone (Nexus 4). For me wireless charging is the first priority for a new phone.

Matthias Fritz

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
is there such a big difference in placing a phone on a charge pad in vertical position or placing a phone on a charge port in vertical position? maybe you like it having in horizontal position laying down there, but you shouldn't place your eyes on the phone while driving anyways. or do you usally just throw your phone there from a distance and that's the reason for cable free charging? ;)

Jayc

Country
Country
I like the idea of wireless charging but in a car showcasing the best of efficiency and upgradeability via OTA updates, the fact that wireless charging is inefficient and wireless charging technology cannot be upgraded via software alone means it might not be a good match.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mathias -
My desk charger at work is on a 45 degree angle, not flat. Makes it easy to see the screen from my chair.
My Car charger is at nearly 90 degrees facing me, making it easy to see the map display, etc.

I don't like the idea of plugging/unplugging my phone 2-4 times a day, because the USB port is the weakest part of most phone designs (well, other than the screen). I've seen too many people with damaged/worn ports from charging ("It works OK as long as you set a a quarter on the connector while it's charging"). Qi solves the problem elegantly for me - and the added inefficiency is so small as to be insignificant:
https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/technology/why-not-a-wire-the-case-for-wireless-power.html

eye.surgeon

Country
Country
I like the idea of wireless charging but in a car showcasing the best of efficiency and upgradeability via OTA updates, the fact that wireless charging is inefficient and wireless charging technology cannot be upgraded via software alone means it might not be a good match.
You will lose more energy from heat in your Model 3 charging cable in one charging session that you will on a Qi charger in your entire life.

Jayc

Country
Country
You will lose more energy from heat in your Model 3 charging cable in one charging session that you will on a Qi charger in your entire life.
Yes but that is still an avoidable loss. Sum up hundreds of insignificantly small deltas and you send up with significant quantity. Also note, energy lost from car charging cable does not affect range :)

Same principle goes for weight reduction, save 1% weight in every body panel and that might be significant even if HV battery is several hundred times heavier.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Meh
not even slightly disappointed
Compared to the six phones that can use currently the QI std, there are many, many things much more important for the Model3.
Anyway - phone charging enabled by USB. The bigger problem is how to keep a phone in place to wirelessly charge - something that cables don't have an issue with.
The current solution involved a trivial cable - no problem.

Missing wireless charging with premium interior package is definitely a minus point for high tech Tesla vehicle.

Only the first generation wireless charging was somewhat slow: 3.5-5W.
At the same time, most phones could be charged at 5W anyway.
Today, fast wireless charging supports 12-15W charging, problem solved pretty much forever.
(phones are not going to have 25-50W charging in 2025 because a) li-ion limit b) thermal limit* c) no reason).
Actual reason for having wireless charging is a) convenience b) port wear&tear.

Model 3 has ideal spot and positioning for fast wireless charging. Though it requires higher voltage from USB, which
is not confirmed on M3. Also reasonable cooling capability is expected for fast wireless charging surfaces, for phone too.
All that can fit to Model 3 dual phone resting area. Though Tesla has to make all that available. 9V2A capable USB,
bay with ventilation, passive or active.

*even though wireless actively cooled charging could raise thermal limit, I bet smartphone manufacturers
will design wired (without cooling) charging speed as the upper limit for their devices anyway.
Today, with 10W charging, phones already get hot. It won't get better with batteries that can fit 10-20% more juice.
And phones won't get larger just to dissipate more heat.

Google Pixel XL was sold as 18W charging capable phone. Users report limitations down to 10W (similarly like
Tesla limits SC speed for some frequent customers). Some get 18W for few minutes only. Internal resistance is too
big at that rate, that is with 3450mAh battery, which is already huge. Largest phones have 5000mAh, 17-19Wh.
Which means rapid wireless charging of 15W is adequate. Comparable rate as Tesla SC speed.

Also Apple has a long way to progress as it only supports wireless charging up to 7.5W. Others also have to get to
that 15W with their flagships. But that is question of time.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Missing wireless charging with premium interior package is definitely a minus point for high tech Tesla vehicle.

Only the first generation wireless charging was somewhat slow: 3.5-5W.
At the same time, most phones could be charged at 5W anyway.
Today, fast wireless charging supports 12-15W charging, problem solved pretty much forever.
(phones are not going to have 25-50W charging in 2025 because a) li-ion limit b) thermal limit* c) no reason).
Actual reason for having wireless charging is a) convenience b) port wear&tear.

Model 3 has ideal spot and positioning for fast wireless charging. Though it requires higher voltage from USB, which
is not confirmed on M3. Also reasonable cooling capability is expected for fast wireless charging surfaces, for phone too.
All that can fit to Model 3 dual phone resting area. Though Tesla has to make all that available. 9V2A capable USB,
bay with ventilation, passive or active.

*even though wireless actively cooled charging could raise thermal limit, I bet smartphone manufacturers
will design wired (without cooling) charging speed as the upper limit for their devices anyway.
Today, with 10W charging, phones already get hot. It won't get better with batteries that can fit 10-20% more juice.
And phones won't get larger just to dissipate more heat.

Google Pixel XL was sold as 18W charging capable phone. Users report limitations down to 10W (similarly like
Tesla limits SC speed for some frequent customers). Some get 18W for few minutes only. Internal resistance is too
big at that rate, that is with 3450mAh battery, which is already huge. Largest phones have 5000mAh, 17-19Wh.
Which means rapid wireless charging of 15W is adequate. Comparable rate as Tesla SC speed.

Also Apple has a long way to progress as it only supports wireless charging up to 7.5W. Others also have to get to
that 15W with their flagships. But that is question of time.
Just to clarify Apple only supports 5W wireless charging currently. It has been confirmed 7.5W will be possible on the iPhone X/8/8+ with the release of iOS 11.2 (currently in beta).