Directions from google maps

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Recently I have a couple of times looked up where I wanted to go on my phone because it's easier to type on the smaller screen and then tried to share the directions to my car. Everything on the phone end seems to go well, it says directions sent, but when I get in the car its trying to take me somewhere else. Today I looked up directions to an office about 20 minutes away in Needham, MA and I wanted to try and see what happens so I waited until I was in the car to send the directions. When I did what came up was a random address in Georgia.

Any one else experience this?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
when you share the nav from another device, it just uses the destination, not the other device's established routing I believe.
as far as it wanting to send you to GA (assuming you otherwise had a local destination on the phone), maybe make sure the phone is showing the full location (address, city, state) and not something generic that would trip up the car's nav.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's worked every time I've used it. You using Google Maps or Apple Maps to send it? I typically use Google Maps (iPhone X). It's impressive how fast it shows up on the car.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's worked every time I've used it. You using Google Maps or Apple Maps to send it? I typically use Google Maps (iPhone X). It's impressive how fast it shows up on the car.
Using google maps on my galaxy s8. When the feature first came out I used it multiple times and it worked perfectly. It was one of the first things that I showed my father-in-law that really wowed him.

Now I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I select my destination in google maps, look up the directions, then click share and choose Tesla. It loads and says directions shared to "my cars name". But when I get into the car the destination is a random point somewhere else in the US. It isn't a big deal but its definitely frustrating.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the issue is the way the address is formatted when sent. I've had this issue where the car shows the address in a search box and the city is on the wrong line for example. Once I correct it or just give it the number and street the car usually figures it out. On rare occasion the car has not been able to find the location with what gets sent, in that case I just do a voice command and it usually pops right up.

sduck

Country
Country
Now I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I select my destination in google maps, look up the directions, then click share and choose Tesla. It loads and says directions shared to "my cars name". But when I get into the car the destination is a random point somewhere else in the US. It isn't a big deal but its definitely frustrating.
Doesn't sound right. All you can send is the destination, so the "look up the directions" part is superfluous. Just click on your destination - on the pop up window, choose share, and then to Tesla. If there isn't an immediate pop up window, pressing and holding on the map where you want to go will create a waypoint, which usually works. It's worked correctly 100% of the time for me, and I use it all the time - it's one of the "Oh Wow!" things about the car. I even showed it to one of google's map software engineers, who threw dozens of tricky things at it just to see if they'd work, and they all did (he bought a model 3 the next day).

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was definitely doing it wrong. Tried yesterday to just put the destination into google maps on the phone and then share it and it works perfectly, thanks everyone for the input.