Different levels of service for model 3 vs. others?

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called today to see if I could swing by my service center to get my license plates installed. With prior vehicles I've swung by Mercedes or BMW and they would put them on in about 10 minutes, no appointment needed. The service advisor asked me what model I have, and then said the first appointment isn't until next week. I got the distinct feeling that if I had said "Model S" I would have been told to stop by later today. I could of course be wrong, but it was strange, and I've gotten that "vibe" from the service center here before. They do seem to be overwhelmed with many vehicles parked all over so perhaps it's just a bandwidth issue....

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suspect it had little to do with model s vs 3 and more to do with asking a service center to install license plates when they’re probably pretty swamped at the moment.

No offence, but won’t it take you much longer to drive to a service center than to install the plates yourself...?

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can install the one on the back but it's my understanding that installing the one on the front requires drilling a hole or a special attachment.. I don't want to do anything to mess up my gorgeous M3. I'm in no rush -- I just thought it was interesting that one of the first questions was about what model I'm driving.

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can install the one on the back but it's my understanding that installing the one on the front requires drilling a hole or a special attachment.. I don't want to do anything to mess up my gorgeous M3. I'm in no rush -- I just thought it was interesting that one of the first questions was about what model I'm driving.
No the front uses a peel and stick adhesive. They did it for me at delivery. Very easy to do though.

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll go into the frunk and check it out... thanks much.The guy at the service center indicated some of the mount kits require drilled holes, which I'm not doing, and some have adhesive... will go check out my kit. Listening to the earnings call now... GO TESLA!

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup mine is definitely attached with adhesive and they did it for me at delivery.

Also my apologies, i read your post as you wanting them to screw the plates to the holders and I’m thinking “why would you ask the service center to do that??”

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just did it myself and it looks OK.... I had a hard time centering it (math challenged) and was surprised there isn't a single Youtube video on how to do it... no mention of it in the manual, and the directions on the back of the holder itself were hard for me to decipher (step 3 drawing). I'm not the smartest person in the world but not the dumbest. Seems like maybe someone should make a video on this.... would get lots of hits I'm guessing!

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Measure between two points on car, divide by 2, measure that distance and mark with something like tape.
Measure the license plate, mark the middle.
Align the two middles.

It's a lot easier than trying to subtract out the license plate width and then figuring all the details out.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 2 front parking sensors are great to measure from to get the dead center point. As suggested use painters tape to mark the left and right plate mount edges. Hold the plate mount in place and have someone else measure again from each plate mount edge to each sensor edge. Adjust painters tape as necessary.