• It's nice under the right lighting

Votes: 31 15.8%
  • It's nice in real life but not in pictures

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • It's ugly

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • It's nice in pictures but not in real life

Votes: 13 6.6%

Didn’t the silver metallic get nicer...? ;-)

69K views 269 replies 57 participants last post by  Rick Steinwand 
#1 ·
So I was watching Ben @ Teslanomics taking delivery of his model 3. Congrats to him btw if he reads this! While he was shooting his video I couldn't help but keep noticing the silver model 3 behind him with the sport wheels! Silver was something I was interested in awhile back but once I started seeing pictures of the silver I just wasn't very excited about it. :( All of a sudden, I saw this video and I started to get impressed with it! So is it just me or does it look better? Is it the lighting? Maybe it just looks a lot better because it matches the sport wheels? What are your thoughts?

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

See less See more
#2 ·
I saw a silver 3 the other night near the end of my evening commute home in Palos Verdes, California. Definitely looked nice under the street lights. I think silver looks the best at night and under lights and generally looks better in person than in pictures. I currently have a Ford Fusion plug in hybrid in charcoal grey and was thinking I would go with midnight silver but I am now planning on getting silver with sport wheels. A very clean and classic look that in my opinion fits the 3 quite nicely. My garage is a mancave so I park outside and silver will also hide dirt the best. Silver appears to be the least popular color so the car will be less common. Here are some more pictures that might help you decide how much you like silver.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
w. .

#3 ·
I saw a silver 3 the other night near the end of my evening commute home in Palos Verdes, California. Definitely looked nice under the street lights. I think silver looks the best at night and under lights and generally looks better in person than in pictures. I currently have a Ford Fusion plug in hybrid in charcoal grey and was thinking I would go with midnight silver but I am now planning on getting silver with sport wheels. A very clean and classic look that in my opinion fits the 3 quite nicely. My garage is a mancave so I park outside and silver will also hide dirt the best. Silver appears to be the least popular color so the car will be less common. Here are some more pictures that might help you decide how much you like silver. View attachment 5082 View attachment 5081 View attachment 5080 w. .
Looks great with the 19" wheels, but maybe not so great with the Aero/UWCs.

#9 ·
This is the picture that ultimately swayed me away from red. Along with the fact that a coworker was also between silver and red and has decided on red. And another co-worker bought a silver S, and I'm constantly staring at it out of the window.

#11 ·
Didn't I see those sheds and X in a"LikeTesla" video with the paint treatment?
Quite possibly. Looked familiar to me too. The picture is from the Google Photos album.

#13 ·
Silver on the 3 bar none has been the most uncommon color I've seen. Most common is MSM, red, blue (in that order)*.

I think lots of folks shy away from silver because it IS very common as a car color in general, but not so much with Teslas. It also really shows off the lines of the car best IMO. My absolute favorite color was the Alpha Silver, if only it didn't cost an arm and a leg! :p

*source: informal observations from driving by the Tesla factory parking lots

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
Coming from a country (Belgium for 3 more months until I move definitely to the South of France...) with not much light - and where, by the way, there are a lot of grey cars (in all of the shades), I'd offer that all car colors look nicer under the proper lighting! IMHO, metallic paint helps in this respect because it gives that 'shiny' effect...

So you're right, under the California sun, Silver does look quite nice... Now, as for wheels...? That's a personal choice... (Had to sign an NDA... o_O)

#19 ·
I've only seen pictures. In some silver does look great. In others it looks rather drab. Lighting definitely helps. One pic I saw quite some time ago was parked with silver BMW and it looked very dull side by side. I think the BMW paint has larger metallic flake and more depth, while the Tesla has very fine metallic dust and not as much depth to the shine. Under the right light it looks great, but other times is very unremarkable. I want a lighter color to help hide any blemishes and I think the white looks sharper than the silver so I'm going with white.

#21 ·
Well, silver is the best color for the 3 in any lighting...:p...says Quicksilver!

I don't know why charcoal grey is so popular, oh sorry, it's called MSM, :D
LoL. Agree to disagree. :p I'm happy with my MSM decision. ;-) I really like the metallic sheen. I did see a silver Model 3 here at work, and it's nice though. Like I keep telling people, all the Model 3 colors look beautiful. Except blue... jk!!!!

#25 ·
If I was to cheat on Silver, it would be with MSM. I've been all over the place with colors since the beginning though. MSM has always been my favorite color Model S. When the Model 3 was revealed, I wanted the red/orange reveal color (which obviously isn't available). I then changed my mind to red when pictures started showing up. Then my friend got a Silver Model S while waiting for the 3 and I fell in love with that. Not long ago I wanted silver with aero, but by time I configured I ended up with silver with sport. Funny to think I could have ended up with a completely different config if I had configured earlier on.

In any case, delivery is tomorrow morning!! No going back now, but I don't think I'll regret my decision at all. I like all of the colors a lot (some more than others depending on the light), but I like silver in all lighting situations.

#31 ·
More pictures needed in this thread! Here's some from my Freemont stalking last year and random saves from who knows where.... :cool:

Attachments

#32 ·
Nice! I'll post some high quality pics in the near-ish future. I'll be detailing, buffing, and applying a ceramic coating soon.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
#34 ·
New one from the Delivery Photos thread....

#38 ·
Must be really you. Silver on the 3 looks like a Honda Civic. Only one color should be made and it isn't black.

I will look for a wrap that is close to matching MSM. That way after 6 months you can convert to the real color and start to enjoy your car for the first time.:p:p:p:p
Who let the MSM fan boy in here... not sure who he's replying or responding to but no thanks, no buyers here......:rolleyes:

#45 ·
Back from the tint shop. Sorry about the colors being a bit off; my white balance is set for landscape and I didn't have time to adjust. Will be taking more pics, specifically of the tint inside and out for the tint thread.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Sky
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Sky Wheel
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Tesla

#47 ·
#52 · (Edited)
@Michael Russo or @garsh Any chance we can edit the thread title to....
Is it just me or did the Silver Metallic get nicer?

Just to be more specific and unique. ;) Thanks!

Also wanted to share the latest Silver Metallic minority report with help from our Model 3 spreadsheet data guru @Troy - Love it!

Font Circle Parallel Slope Diagram

#53 · (Edited)
@Michael Russo Any chance we can edit the thread title to....

Also wanted to share the latest Silver Metallic minority report with help from our Model 3 spreadsheet data guru @Troy - Love it!

View attachment 7601
That is a great chart! I guess that is why we've been saying if you want a Model 3 ASAP, get Silver Metallic!! :D:D

#54 ·
@Michael Russo or @garsh Any chance we can edit the thread title to....
(...$
Done... and even shortened it, as there are enough of you out there who seem to think the question was rhetorical anyways! ;)

As for me... well, you all know my favorite color for Model 3, as well as my new passion color for my S... :D

#55 ·
@ummgood Please add your new baby pix here, and show some more Silver Metallic love! :)

Reactions: Michael Russo
#56 ·
First let me say I feel truly sorry for all the other colors. The silver looks amazing. You can see every crease and every fold in the car. Plus I drove all day and had at least 2 bugs on the front and it still looked amazing. (I am sorry my lovely Helga for getting a bug on you)...

Anyone want to donate to my tire fund?
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

#57 ·
#59 ·
Here is Helga between two MSM cars.

I think at work all the cars are MSM or Dark Blue. Mine is the only silver (the CEO's wife has a P90DL X in silver but it is rarely in the garage). So I like how it sticks out.

Oh and this looks like a Tesla Oreo :)

#61 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.