Didn’t the silver metallic get nicer...? ;-)

What do you think of the silver?

• It's always nice

Votes: 124 67.8%
  • It's nice under the right lighting

Votes: 30 16.4%
  • It's nice in real life but not in pictures

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • It's ugly

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • It's nice in pictures but not in real life

Votes: 13 7.1%

• Total voters

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I was watching Ben @ Teslanomics taking delivery of his model 3. Congrats to him btw if he reads this! While he was shooting his video I couldn't help but keep noticing the silver model 3 behind him with the sport wheels! Silver was something I was interested in awhile back but once I started seeing pictures of the silver I just wasn't very excited about it. :( All of a sudden, I saw this video and I started to get impressed with it! So is it just me or does it look better? Is it the lighting? Maybe it just looks a lot better because it matches the sport wheels? What are your thoughts?

upload_2018-1-18_14-22-45-png.5078

Andy M

Country
Country
I saw a silver 3 the other night near the end of my evening commute home in Palos Verdes, California. Definitely looked nice under the street lights. I think silver looks the best at night and under lights and generally looks better in person than in pictures. I currently have a Ford Fusion plug in hybrid in charcoal grey and was thinking I would go with midnight silver but I am now planning on getting silver with sport wheels. A very clean and classic look that in my opinion fits the 3 quite nicely. My garage is a mancave so I park outside and silver will also hide dirt the best. Silver appears to be the least popular color so the car will be less common. Here are some more pictures that might help you decide how much you like silver.
img_1508-1-jpg.5082
m3-silver-charging-jpg.5081
silver-model-3-1-jpg.5080
w. .

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw a silver 3 the other night near the end of my evening commute home in Palos Verdes, California. Definitely looked nice under the street lights. I think silver looks the best at night and under lights and generally looks better in person than in pictures. I currently have a Ford Fusion plug in hybrid in charcoal grey and was thinking I would go with midnight silver but I am now planning on getting silver with sport wheels. A very clean and classic look that in my opinion fits the 3 quite nicely. My garage is a mancave so I park outside and silver will also hide dirt the best. Silver appears to be the least popular color so the car will be less common. Here are some more pictures that might help you decide how much you like silver. View attachment 5082 View attachment 5081 View attachment 5080 w. .
Looks great with the 19" wheels, but maybe not so great with the Aero/UWCs.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw a silver 3 the other night near the end of my evening commute home in Palos Verdes, California. Definitely looked nice under the street lights. I think silver looks the best at night and under lights and generally looks better in person than in pictures. I currently have a Ford Fusion plug in hybrid in charcoal grey and was thinking I would go with midnight silver but I am now planning on getting silver with sport wheels. A very clean and classic look that in my opinion fits the 3 quite nicely. My garage is a mancave so I park outside and silver will also hide dirt the best. Silver appears to be the least popular color so the car will be less common. Here are some more pictures that might help you decide how much you like silver. View attachment 5082 View attachment 5081 View attachment 5080 w. .
Thanks for sharing those! I agree definitely under lights it looks the best, but even some of those pictures in the sunlight looked pretty sweet. This decision is getting harder and harder.

ölbrenner

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like silver and placed an order for silver with the 18" aeros. I'm a pragmatist, so easy decision! I like that it is the least common color too.

Unfortunately a co-worker is ordering the exact same config so might need some way to differentiate. (Hopefully a hitch with bike rack. *cough*)

sclyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is the picture that ultimately swayed me away from red. Along with the fact that a coworker was also between silver and red and has decided on red. And another co-worker bought a silver S, and I'm constantly staring at it out of the window.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Silver on the 3 bar none has been the most uncommon color I've seen. Most common is MSM, red, blue (in that order)*.

I think lots of folks shy away from silver because it IS very common as a car color in general, but not so much with Teslas. It also really shows off the lines of the car best IMO. My absolute favorite color was the Alpha Silver, if only it didn't cost an arm and a leg! :p

*source: informal observations from driving by the Tesla factory parking lots

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Coming from a country (Belgium for 3 more months until I move definitely to the South of France...) with not much light - and where, by the way, there are a lot of grey cars (in all of the shades), I’d offer that all car colors look nicer under the proper lighting! IMHO, metallic paint helps in this respect because it gives that ‘shiny’ effect...

So you’re right, under the California sun, Silver does look quite nice... Now, as for wheels...? That’s a personal choice... (Had to sign an NDA... o_O)

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 5083

Silver with aero covers removed. Not sure I’ve seen this combo before (or it’s just been a while). Kind of like it.
Has that car been in an accident, or is that just the light playing tricks? Looks like a scrape below the door handles from front to back wheel wells and maybe a damaged rear bumper.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has that car been in an accident, or is that just the light playing tricks? Looks like a scrape below the door handles from front to back wheel wells and maybe a damaged rear bumper.
Just a reflection of a parking space line.
If you look a little closer, you'll see a handicap parking symbol just below that "scratch".

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've only seen pictures. In some silver does look great. In others it looks rather drab. Lighting definitely helps. One pic I saw quite some time ago was parked with silver BMW and it looked very dull side by side. I think the BMW paint has larger metallic flake and more depth, while the Tesla has very fine metallic dust and not as much depth to the shine. Under the right light it looks great, but other times is very unremarkable. I want a lighter color to help hide any blemishes and I think the white looks sharper than the silver so I'm going with white.