Did you select "Advanced" Software Update Preference?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

What did you select?

• Total voters

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Net is, this is not better that before. Had it been, I would expect most of us, who are existed to get the latest and greatest would roughly get it the same time. I think Elon is doing some expermentation on us and it seems to be working ...
I have Advanced selected and I'm still one of the ~4% stuck on 2019.20.4.2. :eek:

@MelindaV recently conducted a poll designed to determine whether selecting Advanced or having FSD made a difference in whether you were upgraded to 20.4.4 and 24.4, and IIRC the early results showed that neither really made a difference.

It may be possible that the Advanced switch is just a data-collecting mechanism for now, to get an idea for how many people would prefer one over the other, and how that preference varies by location / vehicle / configuration / etc. Why this would matter, and why they would need to run this test for multiple months, are two questions I cannot answer.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you've ever toured the retired Air Force One from the 1970's that they have in Seattle's Museum of Flight, you may remember that they added a temperature control for then VP Johnson who always complained about it. "Finally!" he said when they installed it.

It wasn't connected to anything.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think they just put that button there to amuse themselves to see how many people would actually change it. I've been stuck at 2019.20.4.2 since 6/26.

Like the Firesign Theater said - "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."
Still stuck on 20.4.2 as well. I flipped my preference to Standard for a couple of days to see if it made a difference... Nope. :)

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if the latest doesn't install in the next few days, I think you need to make a service appointment. something is clearly not right.
There is now a "software update" service type, so that sounds like the ticket. Hopefully can be done by a mobile tech.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny you mention Service Center.

I stopped by a Service Center tonight for a quick energy top off (great place - I called to ask if I could use their destination chargers after a movie and they, instead, reserved one of their Superchargers for me!) and, while I was there, my car connected to their WiFi. When I noticed that after about 10 minutes, I checked the software screen and it showed that it was downloading an update.

The progress bar looked full but it never completed the download and I couldn’t wait any longer; I had unplugged but I doubt that mattered. Interestingly, even though there were only two bars on the WiFi (that antenna needs to be better if OTA is going to require WiFi!), the speed was pretty good at 25-40 down.

So, even if you don’t make an appointment at an SC, consider loitering near one to try for an update.

**I should say, I had mobile service a couple weeks ago and the tech had pushed an update via his laptop but it never came through even though I improved WiFi signal to my garage.**

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
**I should say, I had mobile service a couple weeks ago and the tech had pushed an update via his laptop but it never came through even though I improved WiFi signal to my garage.**
when they manually push an update, it should be OTA and not require wifi - at least that was the case for one of mine that didn't download correctly and I requested my service contact resend it. it ended up downloading while parked at work without any wifi connection.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
when they manually push an update, it should be OTA and not require wifi - at least that was the case for one of mine that didn't download correctly and I requested my service contact resend it. it ended up downloading while parked at work without any wifi connection.
Yep. And if you start downloading the update on Wi-Fi but interrupt it to drive away (as I had to do this morning after a helpful Tesla rep manually sent 28.3.1 to my car), the download will continue over LTE and be ready to install when you reach your destination.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep. And if you start downloading the update on Wi-Fi but interrupt it to drive away (as I had to do this morning after a helpful Tesla rep manually sent 28.3.1 to my car), the download will continue over LTE and be ready to install when you reach your destination.
Well, it only started downloading over two weeks later and, since I drove away, it still shows downloading. I’ll have it hooked up to my WiFi for the next 5 days so we’ll see.

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What is the actual point of the advanced software update preference?

I have the download button on the upper part of my screen... Indicating I can download an update... But when I click it... And it takes me to the software screen... It just tells me to please connect to Wi-Fi to download the software update.

My car is been on Wi-Fi for 3 days and nothing's ever been downloaded.

Mike

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What is the actual point of the advanced software update preference?

I have the download button on the upper part of my screen... Indicating I can download an update... But when I click it... And it takes me to the software screen... It just tells me to please connect to Wi-Fi to download the software update.

My car is been on Wi-Fi for 3 days and nothing's ever been downloaded.

Mike
Disconnect and reset your WiFi connection. Sounds like something with it isn’t actually ‘connecting’. Or go somewhere else and connect to another WiFi signal.