Did you select "Advanced" Software Update Preference?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

What did you select?

• Total voters

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that 2019.16.3 is out, has anyone gotten a notice to install that has Advanced set?

I haven't, doesn't look like that feature is working (yet).

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that 2019.16.3 is out, has anyone gotten a notice to install that has Advanced set?
I haven't, doesn't look like that feature is working (yet).
If the theory that 2019.16.3 is targeted at cars with HW3 is correct, it could just be that the caveat attached to the "Advanced" preference applies here:

Note: The latest software version will vary based on vehicle configuration including hardware and geography

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the theory that 2019.16.3 is targeted at cars with HW3 is correct, it could just be that the caveat attached to the "Advanced" preference applies here:
Good point.

Yet looking at the data, seems like a mix in this case:

3 - AP 2
37 - AP 2.5
1 - AP 3

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good point.
Yet looking at the data, seems like a mix in this case:
3 - AP 2
37 - AP 2.5
1 - AP 3
And that touches on the other ongoing mystery: why Model 3s with HW3 report having HW2.5 through the API (and therefore to TeslaFi), while Model S/X with HW3 report the correct code for HW3. o_O

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I think the way it has been before this option was available was that after a SW version passes initial quality control, they send it out to the early adopter people. Then, if there aren't obvious and serious problems, they start releasing it to the rest of the owners. But they don't release it as fast as they could because they want to mitigate the size of the problem if some undetected bug starts recking havoc. So the releases have been slower than some people would like.

This new option simply lets "the rest of the owners" chose whether they want to be in the initial release after the early adopter program or wait to see if Tesla is going to stop the rollout until an updated version is available.

I chose "Standard" rollout because it should prevent me from needing to research the early rollout to see if I want to install the latest upgrade. If I hear of an update being released that has features I simply can't wait for, I can always change my preference to "Advanced". Likewise, if I feel the version I'm on is particularly buggy, I can change my preference to "Advanced" before any new versions are released.

But kudos to all you fearless souls who have signed up to be my personal guinea pig! :D

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is this finally working?

64791241_788662201529980_3809340841399418880_n.jpg

Once it finished:

Inked64507276_308745120012169_5749100238669348864_n_LI.jpg

Click there brings you to the normal software update display

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I got 20.1.2 a week or more ago, and set it to advanced. About four days ago, I got a notice that a NEW software was avaialble now. I don't know what the version is, haven't done the update yet.

epmenard

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Advance preference changed nothing for me. Still takes 2-3 weeks to get it once general rollout starts. Still on 2019.16.2 though 80% or so have moved on to greener pastures.

I think it's a dummy feature like buttons on traffic lights for pedestrians meant to reduce customer irritation from having to wait...

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I set my updates to “Advanced” on 16.2. I do think I was one of the first few hundred or so to get 20.2.1 given following the rollout on TeslaFi. Whether those two facts are related is indeterminate.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure what that is, but as long as it works for you...:)
It's the Windworn Moonstone of Galanthreon, which the High Forest Elves of Everthorne have used for millennia to align the ethereal spirit-energies of the Eternal Flora along the central lay-lines of the Lower Sphere.

(Also known as a Google WiFi access point.)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's the Windworn Moonstone of Galanthreon, which the High Forest Elves of Everthorne have used for millennia to align the ethereal spirit-energies of the Eternal Flora along the central lay-lines of the Lower Sphere.

(Also known as a Google WiFi access point.)
well, lets hope the elves can give your signal a little boost to make the car happier.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
well, lets hope the elves can give your signal a little boost to make the car happier.
Actually, with the Wi-Fi point this close to the car, the touchscreen showed five bars of Wi-Fi strength for the first time, and it was connected on the 5 Ghz channel (versus the usual 2.4 Ghz). Seeing both of those filled me with hope! 🌈

A few minutes later, the car fell asleep.

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this feature (Software Advance) feels like placebo - does anyone feels that as a result of that setting their are getting software updates more regular/faster?
looking at ver 28.2 ... roughly 40% of the user population have it so clearly its widely deployed and its been out for sometime.

i have that setting, located in WA on Model 3 - cant imagine that is such a rare configuration. I would think others in WA in same configuration have it.

Net is, this is not better that before. Had it been, I would expect most of us, who are existed to get the latest and greatest would roughly get it the same time. I think Elon is doing some expermentation on us and it seems to be working ...