Did you select "Advanced" Software Update Preference?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

What did you select?

• Total voters

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the 2019.16 and up software you can now select to be "Advanced" and get software updates just as soon as the SW is staged for your car and your region. You don't have to select this, but it is an option.

fullsizeoutput_17a3.jpeg

Last edited:

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had to think about it, though--I almost chose standard. Last Fall, there was a cold-weather update with a lot of reported issues with windows and the charge port, and I intentionally did not accept updates until the newer versions came out. We'll have to see what the difference is between standard and advanced. If it's typically a few days to a week, maybe I'll set it back to standard. If it's a month or more, then I'll probably leave it on advanced.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had to think about it, though-
Agreed. While I love the idea of the over the air updates, I've never really appreciated the fact that I didn't get to read the release notes or even know the version that I was committing to install until after it was already on the car. Sites like this and TeslaFi take away some of that guess work -- but it should be more clear.

This version is available, and here are the release notes -- do you wish to continue?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had little choice but to pick Advanced. For some reason I’ve been really late in the distribution run for really buggy versions. I’d get it, then a possible fix would hit the wild days later, but I would miss it entirely (because the car upgraded too recently), and then the next version after that would be just as buggy, and that’s the one I’d get, late in the cycle again.

So if I’m going to be living on the edge anyway, I may as well really go for it!

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had little choice but to pick Advanced. For some reason I’ve been really late in the distribution run for really buggy versions. I’d get it, then a possible fix would hit the wild days later, but I would miss it entirely (because the car upgraded too recently), and then the next version after that would be just as buggy, and that’s the one I’d get, late in the cycle again.

So if I’m going to be living on the edge anyway, I may as well really go for it!
Maybe what should happen is this:

Tesla should split releases in to "bug fixes/stability improvements only" and "includes new features." Standard setting should make it so that the car is slow to get new features, and once it does it should get the most recent bug fix release based on the new features release. It should then get additional bug fixes for that feature set as quickly as the "advanced" cars.

I think that gets at the intuitive meaning behind "standard." Instead, right now, I feel like standard means not only do you get new buggy features more slowly, but you also get bug fixes to old features more slowly...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe what should happen is this:

Tesla should split releases in to "bug fixes/stability improvements only" and "includes new features." Standard setting should make it so that the car is slow to get new features, and once it does it should get the most recent bug fix release based on the new features release. It should then get additional bug fixes for that feature set as quickly as the "advanced" cars.

I think that gets at the intuitive meaning behind "standard." Instead, right now, I feel like standard means not only do you get new buggy features more slowly, but you also get bug fixes to old features more slowly...
or its all just a placebo effect, like the referral award of getting priority access to new firmware releases.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so I assume everyone clicking the first two options are not going to complain in the future about bugs, right?
I don't get why you might assume that. Wishful thinking perhaps? Or humor?

Just because someone got an item before you or I did why would that take away their right (or reason, nay, obligation) to complain (opine, ID errors, faults, omissions,...) that the item [still] has issues?

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I debated this but, since Tesla doesn’t tell us what update is available and I haven’t, personally, had a bad update yet, decided to go advanced to see how it plays out. Picked the second option above because, ultimately, I think the forum users generally lean toward being among the early adopters with a willingness to provide feedback.

No, I don’t see the “perk” of being part of the development team but getting a tested update as soon as possible is usually nicer than waiting. The winter update had me worried but I didn’t suffer any of the ills reported.

We shall see and, yes, Melinda, if appropriate, I will still complain (and switch back to standard). 😜

jdcollins5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will choose Standard until they get less buggy on their early releases. I prefer to let the early access folks take care of reporting all of the initial bugs.😀

I guess I have been about average when they start the big pushes after the early releases.

Country
Country
I picked advanced just to see what it actually does. I've been on the early end of new releases as far as I can tell for whatever reason. When I called in about my AP constantly going out on .12 even the phone rep said "you were one of the first to get .12 so just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get .16 soon to resolve that issue" for .16 I seemed to be closer to the end of the pack(referencing teslafi data that is)

If 16 remains stable I think I'll forgo any updates for a while unless there is some major feature I would actually use, even advanced summon isn't one of them. The new sentry always on is great. I think the best feature as of late.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked advanced just to see what it actually does. I've been on the early end of new releases as far as I can tell for whatever reason. When I called in about my AP constantly going out on .12 even the phone rep said "you were one of the first to get .12 so just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get .16 soon to resolve that issue" for .16 I seemed to be closer to the end of the pack(referencing teslafi data that is)

If 16 remains stable I think I'll forgo any updates for a while unless there is some major feature I would actually use, even advanced summon isn't one of them. The new sentry always on is great. I think the best feature as of late.
That shouldn't be an acceptable answer.

Tesla service is overwhelmed. The easiest answer they can give someone is to wait for the next firmware update. Sometimes that works, either because there's something in the current hardware interacting with the current firmware (not necessarily a full-fledged bug; maybe a combination of a minor fault in hardware with a firmware that doesn't handle that minor fault gracefully), or because the first firmware had a botched install (in which case reinstalling would work too), or because something went wrong in calibration after install (in which case reinstalling would work too), or because some problems fix themselves over time. But in some cases the "wait for the next firmware" strategy leaves the owner with a longer period with a problem than is necessary, in some cases it masks an underlying problem, and in some cases it doesn't fix the problem at all.

Tesla should ramp up service the way they ramped up first production and then delivery. I understand that they have cash flow issues, but it's vital to the long-term future of the company.

Country
Country
That shouldn't be an acceptable answer.
I forgot to put in the rest of her reply. "Keep doing what you're doing and you'll get .16 within the next 30 days."

I had no TACC, no blind spot, no AP. Forum members said well the feature is in beta so what do you expect.

None of it is an acceptable as an answer. But after 6 months of ownership plagued with service nightmares, poor customer service, paint issues they won't resolve, the car gets driven maybe a few times a week. Once the first year or 2 of deprecation levels out I'll be selling a VERY low mileage Model 3

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What Tesla really needs is button to roll back to a previous version.
I'd like a button that reinstalls the version you're currently on. I'm still of the opinion (based only on circumstantial evidence) that many problems are caused by installation processes that go wrong somehow (including calibration problems immediately after the installation).