Did you buy a Tesla just to save the earth?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Did you buy your Tesla to save the earth?

• Yes. The primary reason I bought an electric car is to reduce my carbon footprint.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No. I bought the car for its performance, technology, self driving, etc. It happens to be electric.

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Sort of. I'm not a big environomentalist, but I like that I'm doing my part

Votes: 16 26.2%

• Total voters

MarkB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I still fly in a plane. I have switched to grass feed beef, which is a small step but I am not man enough make the full vegan commitment, but I am trying. I agree this is only a small step, but very much in the right direction. If it takes badass performance to get some ev followers, it’s better than rolling coal to express your freedom
If enough people take enough small steps, that’s actually huge.

At least those people acknowledge that there is an issue, and are ultimately helping everyone (even the folks not taking the small steps) move in the right direction — or at the very least slow down moving in the wrong direction.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think its a mistake to focus on CO2. If only 50-70% believe that humans are causing global warming, the ones that don't are going to have a negative reaction to being told they should buy an EV to save the earth. But it's pretty hard to argue that air pollution doesn't cause premature death. What percentage of people like to hear loud cars, motorcycles, and buses and smell their exhaust while they walk down the street knowing there is a chance it will kill them? If you like that you can go to an NHRA event. (I'm not knocking NHRA, I'm a fan.)

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think its a mistake to focus on CO2. If only 50-70% believe that humans are causing global warming, the ones that don't are going to have a negative reaction to being told they should buy an EV to save the earth. But it's pretty hard to argue that air pollution doesn't cause premature death. What percentage of people like to hear loud cars, motorcycles, and buses and smell their exhaust while they walk down the street knowing there is a chance it will kill them? If you like that you can go to an NHRA event. (I'm not knocking NHRA, I'm a fan.)
With respect, focusing on facts and science is never a mistake. Unless you're just talking about marketing. People who disbelieve the science of climate change aren't going to listen anyway.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What I learned as a side bit of information is that hybrid cars with no plug in capabilities such as the prius are not really, or at no longer, considered to be EV cars. EV cars are now being defined as PHEV and BEV.
Toyota makes a plug-in Prius. And I just realized it gets a 133 MPGe rating, when both modes are combined. Not sustainable on a road trip, though.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
yep, that would be the Prius-Prime. Wanted to get one for my Mother-in-law so that she could be gas free (she only drives 30km a day tops) and even use our plug in charger, but she looked so very very tiny in that model of Prius, and the cargo area in the back was 10" higher for battery room so she would have had a higher lift for groceries in and out. So we got her a Prius-C instead. halves her gas, so better than naught.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
With respect, focusing on facts and science is never a mistake. Unless you're just talking about marketing. People who disbelieve the science of climate change aren't going to listen anyway.
Yes, marketing. But I suppose for selling cars its best to not market any of that. It doesn't seem like manufacturers don't do it except in targetted places where they know the audience will be receptive.

If you go to Tesla's webpage they do not put any green, eco-friendly marketing on the front page or in the car information pages. They do have a page dedicated to CO2 emission reduction based on city with no discussion and nothing about air or noise pollution.

I don't see much on the Prius, Leaf, iPace or e-tron webpages either. The BMW i3 is an exception.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
M3OC Rules said: I think its a mistake to focus on CO2. If only 50-70% believe that humans are causing global warming, the ones that don't are going to have a negative reaction to being told they should buy an EV to save the earth. But it's pretty hard to argue that air pollution doesn't cause premature death. What percentage of people like to hear loud cars, motorcycles, and buses and smell their exhaust while they walk down the street knowing there is a chance it will kill them? If you like that you can go to an NHRA event. (I'm not knocking NHRA, I'm a fan.)

I agree. You hit on the point of why I started this poll. I am not 100% convinced humans CAUSED global warming climate change. (For that matter, I'm not even 100% convinced the climate is actually changing.) But I do hate smelling fumes and hearing loud ICEs...

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A smaller footprint on our planet was a factor but if it had driven like a tank, I wouldn't have bought it....
A cute anecdote: while washing the car in the driveway one day, a 20 something young man stopped and thanked me for doing a small part in saving the planet.
The concept is contagious and since our purchase, I have installed solar panels on the roof to make the house a net zero and also putting in a grey water system to water our yard to conserve water.