Did you buy a Tesla just to save the earth?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Did you buy your Tesla to save the earth?

• Yes. The primary reason I bought an electric car is to reduce my carbon footprint.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No. I bought the car for its performance, technology, self driving, etc. It happens to be electric.

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Sort of. I'm not a big environomentalist, but I like that I'm doing my part

Votes: 16 26.2%

• Total voters

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Madmolecule reminded me of another reason I forgot to include. I am one of those people who always asks the question “why does it have to be this way?” It’s a question that’s gotten me in trouble many times in my life. ;) Because the majority answer to that is usually to scold me for thinking I’m better than everyone else.

I added that thought here because it just occurred to me: That’s probably why there is so much hatred toward EV’s. Because their existence asks the question “why does it have to be fossil fuels?”, and the majority answer is angrily asking if you think you’re better than everyone else. That’s what a lot of people think when they see an EV driving around - that the driver thinks they’re better, and needs to be brought back to harsh reality.

No, I don’t think I’m better. Maybe I just want to walk on a street in an large city someday and not breathe fumes. Wouldn’t that be nice? Every goal like that has to start somewhere. If I can nudge things that way and save some money at the same time, why not?
There is a whole Southpark episode about smug Prius drivers. In order to reach a wide audience and get rid of EV hate, the last thing you want is for people to think you're paying extra and making compromises in the name of environmentalism. Tesla is showing that there doesn't need to be compromises in terms of cost or convenience. The message needs to be better performance, more cabin/storage space, lower total cost of ownership, less maintenance, etc. I think most people care about the environment but not enough to influence their car purchase. In fact, the trend is the opposite. Everyone wants SUVs and Pickups. [American centric answer.]

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Everyone wants SUVs and Pickups.
I don't think that's entirely true.

Steve Jobs once said that people don't know what they want until they can see it and touch it. What happened to Tesla over the last 2 years demonstrates that perfectly - that no one thought EV's were viable in the mass market until Tesla suddenly started outselling everyone else with the Model 3.

The SUV and Pickup trend is a reactive trend, not a predictive one. Most people tend to be conformist, and when they see parking lots full of SUV's and Pickups, they don't want to be left out. Then the manufacturers start selling only SUV's and Pickups, and the press tells everyone that's what everyone buys, and what you need to buy. There are quite a lot of people who will buy what they're told to, or what they see everyone around them driving, just to not be left out. They feel like they have no choice.

I think that's also where part of the hate for Tesla comes from. Because we're driving the "forbidden fruit".

P.S. I might just be straying a little off topic now.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't think that's entirely true.

Steve Jobs once said that people don't know what they want until they can see it and touch it. What happened to Tesla over the last 2 years demonstrates that perfectly - that no one thought EV's were viable in the mass market until Tesla suddenly started outselling everyone else with the Model 3.

The SUV and Pickup trend is a reactive trend, not a predictive one. Most people tend to be conformist, and when they see parking lots full of SUV's and Pickups, they don't want to be left out. Then the manufacturers start selling only SUV's and Pickups, and the press tells everyone that's what everyone buys, and what you need to buy. There are quite a lot of people who will buy what they're told to, or what they see everyone around them driving, just to not be left out. They feel like they have no choice.

I think that's also where part of the hate for Tesla comes from. Because we're driving the "forbidden fruit".

P.S. I might just be straying a little off topic now.
and I can say I've NEVER wanted a truck or SUV.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Everyone wants SUVs and Pickups. [American centric answer.]
that is an annoying opinion for car makers to hold and I suspect the prime reason why the PHEV wagons made by Volvo are unobtanium in North America but readily available in Europe. my local Volvo dealer got an allocation of one (1) PHEV wagon only to have that replaced at the mothership by an additional PHEV SUV variant. Rumour has it December 2019 will see them touch North American soil, but this Volvo fan boy isn't holding his breath.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Much better to HAVE a friend with a truck than to BE a friend with a truck.
I've told my story on here - as much as I love this car I still really miss the pickup. My goal is to still own another one and it'll likely be used and have a gasoline engine. Tesla can dictate that story with looks and costs of their upcoming pickup, but I'm not holding my breath.

And while I think I'm a pretty friendly guy, my friends knew I wasn't helping them move with my pickup. Just gotta have a few rules in life.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So far only 20% of Tesla owners (who responded in my very unscientific poll) bought their car specifically for environmental reasons. That is great news. I was somewhat afraid that primary buyers were environmentalists. I wanted a self driving car and for that reason looked at Cadillac and Infiniti. In the end I found that Tesla is better at self-driving, is faster, costs less, handles better, is safer, and uses less "fuel." Now that I've had it a few months my range anxiety is almost gone and I love the fact that it is quiet and doesn't stink up the air. Plus I can run it in the garage with the door down and not die...

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I used to say that anyone I knew would get help from me for up to three moves. That was the limit.
I always helped anyone until I quit moving myself. When I quit loading my own boxes in my own pickup I quit loading anyone else's there either :) I dun got old.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will take a Model 3 with a trailer over a pickup any day. I bought a few eco-diesels for my service guys and they have been a major nightmare. I have purchased all the major brands of trucks for my company and they have all been extremely expensive to maintain and our an expensive liability.

On a different note, I only buy company vehicles with accident avoidance technology. Since this is new on most trucks it has forced me into some high end packages with leather etc. We drive close to a million miles a year and the claims and the lawsuits have gotten out of hand. Last year however, I had two employees back in to each other in a hotel parking lot in 2018 trucks with reversing cameras. The trucks would have kept them from hitting each other if they were moving forward but they still managed to defeat the technology. The trucks have better engineering, but we engineer better idiots every day.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
True. I think the US manufacturers convinced people that's what they wanted and were motivated to do so because of CAFE standards. They were pretty successful I think and environmentalism wasn't much of a deterrent.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Let keep this thread real - I'm guessing that the main thing most of us think about when we read and post in this thread is the EV vs Gas engine. The EV then "Saving the Earth". If you are hard core that is your answer then don't forget you just took only one small step, I'll admit one small step is better than nothing, but if this was about saving the earth I bet if we made this car a little less fast and a little less flashy and with a cheaper/lighter but uglier wheel we could all save a little more of the earth. If your goal is to save the earth then we just need basic transportation. The extra bells and whistles and Performance model and dual motor don't come without more "Earth" cost. Beat your drum but look in the mirror. This car saves some gas pollution but it isn't about saving the earth. The Prius was likely much better at that, but it wasn't flashy or fast or pretty.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I still fly in a plane. I have switched to grass feed beef, which is a small step but I am not man enough make the full vegan commitment, but I am trying. I agree this is only a small step, but very much in the right direction. If it takes badass performance to get some ev followers, it’s better than rolling coal to express your freedom

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This car saves some gas pollution but it isn't about saving the earth. The Prius was likely much better at that, but it wasn't flashy or fast or pretty.
Totally agree about the Prius not being flashy, pretty or fast. But the Model 3 is much more efficient than the Prius. Just look at the MPG/MPGe comparison: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/topten.jsp And the emissions are much lower. So, yeah, saving humanity (not the earth, cause the earth don't care if it's saved or not) is part of the appeal.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A couple of weeks back I started to look into the efficacy of charging y Volvo's battery from the gas engine while I drove. would that be better than driving petrol alone after the battery expired (31km - who hoo!). So I would drive battery, then petrol while charging and then return to battery.

To research this out, I looked into the efficacy of hybrid cars with no plug in capabilities such as the prius.

What I learned as a side bit of information is that hybrid cars with no plug in capabilities such as the prius are not really, or at no longer, considered to be EV cars. EV cars are now being defined as PHEV and BEV. That is some or all of their energy is sourced from electricity, not just converted from petrol.

So saving the earth via Priusen may once have seemed reasonable, that technology is now being aligned with ICE and not with EV.

Sorry Leonardo.