Did you buy a Tesla just to save the earth?

Did you buy your Tesla to save the earth?

• Yes. The primary reason I bought an electric car is to reduce my carbon footprint.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • No. I bought the car for its performance, technology, self driving, etc. It happens to be electric.

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Sort of. I'm not a big environomentalist, but I like that I'm doing my part

Votes: 15 26.3%

• Total voters

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am trying to figure out one of the demand levers for Tesla. Are environmentalist the only people buying it. Or is it also being purchased by all kinds of people who aren't really concerned about their carbon footprint. If so, the long term demand will be incredible...

turnem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I definitely bought it for the technology. I was interested in the EV side of things but that wasn't my main goal. Now that I've owned it for a bit I'm definitely more interested in the EV side of things than I was prior to owning a Tesla. It's got me thinking more about all things electric now.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
when gas hit 1.60 CDN/litre here (about 4.70 USD/gallon) I replaced my wife's ICE with a BEV - the tesla beat out the leaf, both are good cars, but the Tesla seemed more on the ball with regards to maintaining and developing this new technology.

when gas hit 1.70 CDN/litre here (about 5.00 USD/gallon) I replaced my ICE with a PHEV - a volvo because i've been driving them for 28 years and the mitsubishi dealers were horrid (along with the fact that the xc60 is a smidge better than the outlander).

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am overjoyed it doesn't use gas almost as much as I love the performance of driving it.. We're doing our best to modernize our home to be sustainability friendly as well...

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm very surprised at the early voting, with the majority voting the middle option about buying for the performance and technology,. Multiple votes were allowed, I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not, but if you vote more than once, then you don't truly know if someone checks Technology and Environmental - and if they "Wanted to save the Earth" more than they wanted to Drive a technology marvel.

I'd say edit your poll for a single vote will give better results, or at least not muddied results. It's not my poll however, so you'll have to know whether or not you'll get your answer by letting voters select both, but I don't think you will.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can't follow you there @GDN, the operating cost (ie: gas prices) is/was the reason for an electric car. "it happens to be a tesla", not "it happens to be an electric" as written in number 2.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can't follow you there @GDN, the operating cost (ie: gas prices) is/was the reason for an electric car. "it happens to be a tesla", not "it happens to be an electric" as written in number 2.
Hey - she had a question and wasn't sure, I read the statement as "cost less than" - doesn't matter what comes after that, it's cost, not carbon she was concerned with - carbon is option one. So after that - it might as well be technology that makes the operating costs less.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe it's smart to do anything you can to help the Earth, but I don't really go out of my way or spend a lot of extra money just for that purpose.

I'm a perfect candidate for an EV. I drive about 12 miles to work and back on city streets, mostly through traffic jams in the afternoon. Occasionally I get sent to work stores. It seemed silly to me that I would burn a large amount of fuel sitting still, that being sent to stores would cause a huge variation in transportation costs for the week, and that gas stations always seemed to be out of the way, or on the wrong side of the street, adding quite a lot of time to the journey. Driving fume-free is a nice bonus.

I've also added solar panels to the house - not because I have a lot of extra money to spend on them, but because it will cost 1/3 less than my monthly electric bill. And because being in Florida, it's incredibly silly to let the sun heat up your house, and then pay money to pump that heat back out (and also burning natural gas somewhere as well), when the sun can pump it out for me at no monetary or environmental cost!

So I'm doing all of these things not to be a better person, but to prove that I can save money and do something to help at the same time.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My carbon footprint is much larger than it should be, so I try and mitigate the things I can, even at a cost. (As an example, we were early adopters of Household LED bulbs, even when they were VERY pricey.)

Even with our stupid high gas prices, my ev won’t come close to saving me the premium I paid for it (very short commute).

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am I bleeding edge technologist but I am also a left-wing tree hugger. My original attraction was my hatred for Big oil, but the technology made it clear there was no going back. The future has been cast. Lately I have found myself in a very wild twilight zone of the Internet. I am building my own Powerwall, which has led me into discussions on solar and batteries that has been between left-wing environmentalists and far right wing’s anti-government preppers. It is a crazy space on the Internet where you have two factions focusing on this new emerging technologies, but from complete opposite perspectives.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am I bleeding edge technologist but I am also a left-wing tree hugger.
hey - I resemble that statement!

It is a crazy space on the Internet where you have two factions focusing on this new emerging technologies, but from complete opposite perspectives.
when the far one side and the far other side agree on something, maybe - just maybe - that thing is the right answer.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Madmolecule reminded me of another reason I forgot to include. I am one of those people who always asks the question “why does it have to be this way?” It’s a question that’s gotten me in trouble many times in my life. ;) Because the majority answer to that is usually to scold me for thinking I’m better than everyone else.

I added that thought here because it just occurred to me: That’s probably why there is so much hatred toward EV’s. Because their existence asks the question “why does it have to be fossil fuels?”, and the majority answer is angrily asking if you think you’re better than everyone else. That’s what a lot of people think when they see an EV driving around - that the driver thinks they’re better, and needs to be brought back to harsh reality.

No, I don’t think I’m better. Maybe I just want to walk on a street in an large city someday and not breathe fumes. Wouldn’t that be nice? Every goal like that has to start somewhere. If I can nudge things that way and save some money at the same time, why not?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do not think your poll has a response that fits me quite right.

I knew my next car was going to be an electric car because of the environmental aspect. I could have purchased a much cheaper EV if that was the only thing I cared about but I also care about the technology, like autopilot, and Tesla is the only EV you can easily do long distance driving with in the US.