Did they patch my roof tint?!?!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I love my Model 3 with a deep passion. I love and believe in Tesla! That is part of why I was ok with a horrible home delivery experience (her Uber arrived before I finished signing papers) and zero contact or follow up by my delivery advisor starting a full week before my delivery. I had a few paint chips, slightly crooked hood gaps, and fray on my interior. I tried reporting it and got no response. I said well f*** it cause I love the car...

It wasn’t until today (first cloudy day post delivery) that I noticed something that makes me mad. I almost called customer service instantly but decided to wait til morning so I can cool my temper and check on these forums that I’m not crazy.

It appears that my roof tinting got damaged and was patched (bubbles included) with a square piece of tinting... I feel like this pushed my patience and understanding one step too far. I plan on calling Tesla in the morning and not getting off til someone makes me feel like I’m not an idiot fan boy willing to take mistake after mistake on a $60K purchase.

I would appreciate feedback on this.. does this not look like a patch job? Am I crazy to be annoyed?

Attachments

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I love my Model 3 with a deep passion. I love and believe in Tesla! That is part of why I was ok with a horrible home delivery experience (her Uber arrived before I finished signing papers) and zero contact or follow up by my delivery advisor starting a full week before my delivery. I had a few paint chips, slightly crooked hood gaps, and fray on my interior. I tried reporting it and got no response. I said well f*** it cause I love the car...

It wasn’t until today (first cloudy day post delivery) that I noticed something that makes me mad. I almost called customer service instantly but decided to wait til morning so I can cool my temper and check on these forums that I’m not crazy.

It appears that my roof tinting got damaged and was patched (bubbles included) with a square piece of tinting... I feel like this pushed my patience and understanding one step too far. I plan on calling Tesla in the morning and not getting off til someone makes me feel like I’m not an idiot fan boy willing to take mistake after mistake on a $60K purchase.

I would appreciate feedback on this.. does this not look like a patch job? Am I crazy to be annoyed?
the tint is integral in the glass, not an applied tint after the glass is made. it is hard to tell from the photos, with the reflections, but would first think it is a residue or robot handprint from the glass installation.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That is a good thought and I hope you’re right. I’d preferred a simple fix over a large issue! How could I verify that? If it’s a simple matter of cleaning, what products are safe to clean it will? What products aren’t safe?

It’s a distinct square in an otherwise beautiful glass roof

Gavyne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Use rubbing alcohol, it'll wipe off. Mine had the same thing, and it wiped off easily. Best way to explain it would be it looked like adhesive residue. Kind of like if you were to peel off the temp license sticker we use in California, they often leave residue on the windshield. But rubbing alcohol takes care of them without any issues.

VoltageDrop

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think that is residue from a previously applied (and removed) sticker or label.....I believe I had that on the back window....they are gone now (but I did have the windows tinted and they did clean the windows before the tint (required))......I agree with the folks above....try cleaning it first and see what happens.....

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would guess previous posters are correct. The Model 3's seem to be really bad with the stickers and chrome cover plastic from the factory. Early on many people had a big square or rectangle on the dash from a piece of paper Tesla would leave up there. Looks like my 1 week old has some squares on the steering wheel. I saw a model 3 with the plastic on it just after shipping and I'm pretty certain it is what was covering the chrome emblem on the steering wheel. Hope they are getting feedback and will adjust their methods or have a better clean up process.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That definitely looks like residue from that white plastic that pieces of specialized glass are covered in when they're delivered to the factory (or repair shop, if you have to order one). I would guess at the factory, they leave that on as long as possible so they don't scratch the glass during assembly.

My Model 3 arrived with sticker residue on the driver's side dashboard, in a half rectangle that's sized like it probably had delivery information printed on it. I asked the service center what I could do to remove it, and they suggested gently cleaning it Maguier's Detailer (by name). It took two attempts, but it did remove all of the glue.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The robots at the factory use suction cups to move and install the glass. I get the same thing when I use my industrial suction cup mount for my DSLR in my Tesla

That stuff should come right off with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla goes mega overboard with stickers. If the sun comes up the right way my windshield has multiple spots where one was and a few suction cup marks. Keep forgetting to clean it.

Invisible Glass works great.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After two months I'm still finding the occasional residue square on my glass that apparently only show up in a certain light. Rubbing alcohol for residue, windex/rainx for general cleaning.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think your car used to smoke. Give it a few weeks/months as it transitions from cigarettes to the patch and then again from patch to free and clear. Make sure to be supportive.

... this joke seemed funnier in my head.

Last edited:

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
All my glass was delivered quite clean but as condensation builds on the cold glass I can see where the stickers and suction cups were placed as it has a microscopic leftover square or circle here or there. After a good cleaning with windex-automotive on microfiber they all wiped right off.