Did it...Front license plate

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Made a trip to the DMV yesterday and swapped over my personalized plate for the 3 that I've had on another car for a year...

Installed the plates on the front and rear last night...Centered the front between the two sensors on the bumper, peeled off the backing for the double faced tape and mounted it...

4 screws on each plate with chrome covers...

Since I seem to be in the California minority about mounting the front plate, here is a photo that shows what it looks like...

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Looks good. Did you notice any hit in energy consumption? The cD for the Model 3 is so low if ugly hubcaps can make a big difference I wonder what the front license plate does.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Made a trip to the DMV yesterday and swapped over my personalized plate for the 3 that I've had on another car for a year...

Installed the plates on the front and rear last night...Centered the front between the two sensors on the bumper, peeled off the backing for the double faced tape and mounted it...

4 screws on each plate with chrome covers...

Since I seem to be in the California minority about mounting the front plate, here is a photo that shows what it looks like...

View attachment 5363
Doesn't look bad from that angle. How about a quarter front/side view?

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks good. Did you notice any hit in energy consumption? The cD for the Model 3 is so low if ugly hubcaps can make a big difference I wonder what the front license plate does.
Haven't driven that much yet, but whatever it is, it is...I will keep an eye on it...

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice! But hnnnnghhh.... I really want to nudge the front plate up a bit so the last two inches aren’t hanging below the edge of the bumper. :p Darn these front plates getting in the way of aesthetics!
You gonna put yours on?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the areo difference would be so minor that even a very slight change in the way you drive would have more of an effect. The efficiency of the areo wheels are due in part to the covers but also lighter weight wheels, which have more of an effect on the efficiency combined with less rolling resistance.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I think the areo difference would be so minor that even a very slight change in the way you drive would have more of an effect. The efficiency of the areo wheels are due in part to the covers but also lighter weight wheels, which have more of an effect on the efficiency combined with less rolling resistance.
I wouldn't be surprised if the front license plate causes a 5% drop in efficiency especially for people that do a lot of highway driving. Just imagine the force you feel when you stick your hand out of the window. The license plate is probably 3 times the surface area and at a key aerodynamic point for the car. Even the small winglets on airplanes increase fuel efficiency by about 5% by changing aerodynamics. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/qtr_03_09/article_03_1.html

The engineers tweaked every crease and curve to drop the cD of the Model 3 to a record low for production vehicles and now politicians are screwing that up by requiring old fashioned plates on the front. What they should do instead for front plate requiring states is develop a license plate "sticker" than can conform to the original shape of the bumper and maybe build in RFID so it can double as an EZPass.

https://electrek.co/2016/04/28/tesla-model-3-aerodynamic-drag/

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wouldn't be surprised if the front license plate causes a 5% drop in efficiency especially for people that do a lot of highway driving. Just imagine the force you feel when you stick your hand out of the window. The license plate is probably 3 times the surface area and at a key aerodynamic point for the car. Even the small winglets on airplanes increase fuel efficiency by about 5% by changing aerodynamics. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/qtr_03_09/article_03_1.html

The engineers tweaked every crease and curve to drop the cD of the Model 3 to a record low for production vehicles and now politicians are screwing that up by requiring old fashioned plates on the front. What they should do instead for front plate requiring states is develop a license plate "sticker" than can conform to the original shape of the bumper and maybe build in RFID so it can double as an EZPass.

https://electrek.co/2016/04/28/tesla-model-3-aerodynamic-drag/
I agree that it will cause some disruption to the airflow but you are not sticking it out in the wind like you would your hand. The air already has to flow around that area, it's just not as smooth now. As for wiglets and aerodynamic devices they are also in direct contact with the air. Changing the profile of the front bumper is only going to disrupt some of the laminar airflow around that area. I'd be really surprised if it made enough difference to register at all on the wH/Mile readout.