Diagnostic Port and Data Access

Calibr8r

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The known only way around it is a man-in-the-middle, which means literally cutting the sensors and splicing in a box to spit out modified signals.
I work with these 'tuning boxes' in my field. Its a basic arduino intercept and emulate scenario. The main unknown issue is how the system does plausibility checks and diagnosis of any sensors that are intercepted. Many boxes go into a sleep mode and if they are not awake when the system checks the sensors, they will get an open circuit fault. Its very doable if you can source the connectors to create the harnesses required (not always an easy feat).

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I work with these 'tuning boxes' in my field. Its a basic arduino intercept and emulate scenario. The main unknown issue is how the system does plausibility checks and diagnosis of any sensors that are intercepted. Many boxes go into a sleep mode and if they are not awake when the system checks the sensors, they will get an open circuit fault. Its very doable if you can source the connectors to create the harnesses required (not always an easy feat).
Oh yes certainly doable, just not a simple plug and play that can confidently be installed by any end user.
Especially if Tesla changes its comms in firmware updates.

Just look at the auto opening trunk hardware that is now available. They monitor CAN (which the end user must splice into manually), and they have already had to issue a firmware update as Tesla already changed the messages they were monitoring. Not the end of the world for something that just monitors, but with a man in the middle device that means suddenly that device does not work at all...now your ABS sensors don't work and you have a major safety issue.
This is much more simple with traditional brands without constant updates and innovations, that don't change their comms for generations.

amund7

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'd really like to see someone figure out a way to turn on Track Mode on a non-performance car... I'd buy that device in an instant!

But what happens if you unplug one ABS sensor, if those are easy/at all possible to get to?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd really like to see someone figure out a way to turn on Track Mode on a non-performance car... I'd buy that device in an instant!

But what happens if you unplug one ABS sensor, if those are easy/at all possible to get to?
I would love track mode too, or whatever fun mode there could be for RWD.
You can unplug an ABS sensor from behind a wheel. It will disable traction control, yes, but it will also disable ABS brakes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
photo_2019-08-17 20.48.32.jpeg
Hello!
My model 3 has some minor issues
I bought it at auction after an accident
the airbags worked, I replaced them but the car does not take charge and will not start
I know that everyone has a model 3 problem and can be solved
But I live in Armenia, no one can help me. And I never did a car repair
But I'm a software engineer, and I think I can solve this problem myself
I want to know this android application can help me?
Or do I need to use some kind of desktop application?

I will be happy with any useful information!

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 28475
Hello!
My model 3 has some minor issues
I bought it at auction after an accident
the airbags worked, I replaced them but the car does not take charge and will not start
I know that everyone has a model 3 problem and can be solved
But I live in Armenia, no one can help me. And I never did a car repair
But I'm a software engineer, and I think I can solve this problem myself
I want to know this android application can help me?
Or do I need to use some kind of desktop application?

I will be happy with any useful information!
I‘m sure your pyro fuse blew as it is triggered with air bags and physically disconnects the battery. I think easy to replace under the rear seat but not sure if you will be able to buy one easily