DFW Electrician Recommendations for Wall Charger?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

breadfan35

Country
Country
Hey all!

The wife and I are looking to get our wall charger installed sometime before the Model 3 delivers ideally. Have any of you in the DFW area had one installed and would recommend the electrician you used? I have no clue what to expect on pricing (outside of the wall charger itself at $500). I assume it's a case by case thing mostly.

Do I need to secure the wall charger unit before contacting the electrician? I know Tesla has a few they recommend, but I wasn't sure if the recommended companies could sell the wall charger too. If I have to secure it beforehand, do they keep/sell any of them at the Tesla store or is my only option to purchase online?

Thanks for any advice or info!

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey all!

The wife and I are looking to get our wall charger installed sometime before the Model 3 delivers ideally. Have any of you in the DFW area had one installed and would recommend the electrician you used? I have no clue what to expect on pricing (outside of the wall charger itself at $500). I assume it's a case by case thing mostly.

Do I need to secure the wall charger unit before contacting the electrician? I know Tesla has a few they recommend, but I wasn't sure if the recommended companies could sell the wall charger too. If I have to secure it beforehand, do they keep/sell any of them at the Tesla store or is my only option to purchase online?

Thanks for any advice or info!
Check with @tfederov, I think he had a HPWC installed and also waiting for his Model 3.

Impatient

Country
Country
Yes, get the wall charger first. That way it's on hand for the electrician.

When we got our first Tesla we had the electrician install a NEMA 14-50 on the garage wall, and in anticipation of acquiring a wall charger later, I had him add a 100 amp breaker and run copper in the wall and just cap it off. Then, a few months later, I bought the wall charger and attached it myself to the wiring that the electrician had run previously. At that point, I turned the breaker off for the 14-50 outlet and we don't use that any more. (Except for the time period when I replaced the one wall charger with two of the Gen 2, load sharing wall chargers.)

My electrician was Freedom Electric in Allen, TX. I was pleased with his work with one exception: the wiring he ran for the 100 amp circuit was one gauge too small. He ran 4 gauge, which was technically too thin for drawing 80 amps continuous. When I replaced the single wall charger with two Gen 2 models I replaced the 4 gauge with 3 gauge. (I would have liked to run 2 gauge but that stuff is just too darn thick, especially since my installation was flush on the wall with the wiring coming through the back of the unit.)

CF&D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am building a new home and I've specified a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I'm now wondering about the benefits, if any, of the $500 Tesla Wall Charger. Thoughts & recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, does the Tesla Wall charger plug into a NEMA 14-50, or is it separately wired?

breadfan35

Country
Country
I am building a new home and I've specified a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I'm now wondering about the benefits, if any, of the $500 Tesla Wall Charger. Thoughts & recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, does the Tesla Wall charger plug into a NEMA 14-50, or is it separately wired?
I am by no means an authority. I just tend to research things a lot so don't take this as gospel...

The benefit of the wall charger is 1.) cosmetic - as it looks better (IMO) and 2.) it has the ability to take on and output a higher charge. As I understand it, the long range Model 3 can only take a max of 48 amps netting roughly around 44 miles per hour charging. A NEMA 14-50 using the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle with the NEMA connector is capped at 32 amps netting around 30 miles per hour charge.

If you are going Model S or X, or any car with dual charging, the Wall Connector can take up to 100amps (I believe), but the Model 3 long range again caps at 48. I believe the standard range Model 3 will cap even lower.

I have seen installs where the Wall Connector is plugged into a NEMA 14-50, but have been told by many this goes against Tesla's recommendations of wiring the Wall Connector directly to the fuse box. I'm not sure how big a deal that part is, but I've heard it from a few different ppl so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It basically comes down to do you NEED the 14ish extra miles an hour of charging, do you prefer the nicer finished look of the Wall Connector and do you mind spending $500 for those two things over installing just a NEMA 14-50 and using your Gen 2 MCB that came with your car, or spending only $300 for a second Gen 2 MCB.

Last edited:

breadfan35

Country
Country
*Follow up*

I found this video that was posted yesterday that confirms and better lays out the information I posted above. Hope this is helpful for anyone still deciding.

JMZMartin

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The video helped a lot actually. I'm curious about something. My dryer is in an alcove on the opposite side of my garage pretty much where the charging port would be when the M3 is parked. Would it be possible to split that wire run and put a second plug in the garage? I'd have to drill a hole in the alcove wall but that's not a deal breaker. Or should I simply have the new plug and breaker put in the garage on the far side wall where everything would be consolidated since that's where the panel is located.

I don't know. This isn't my area of expertise. o_O

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am by no means an authority. I just tend to research things a lot so don't take this as gospel...

The benefit of the wall charger is 1.) cosmetic - as it looks better (IMO) and 2.) it has the ability to take on and output a higher charge. As I understand it, the long range Model 3 can only take a max of 48 amps netting roughly around 44 miles per hour charging. A NEMA 14-50 using the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle with the NEMA connector is capped at 32 amps netting around 30 miles per hour charge.

If you are going Model S or X, or any car with dual charging, the Wall Connector can take up to 100amps (I believe), but the Model 3 long range again caps at 48. I believe the standard range Model 3 will cap even lower.

I have seen installs where the Wall Connector is plugged into a NEMA 14-50, but have been told by many this goes against Tesla's recommendations of wiring the Wall Connector directly to the fuse box. I'm not sure how big a deal that part is, but I've heard it from a few different ppl so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It basically comes down to do you NEED the 14ish extra miles an hour of charging, do you prefer the nicer finished look of the Wall Connector and do you mind spending $500 for those two things over installing just a NEMA 14-50 and using your Gen 2 MCB that came with your car, or spending only $300 for a second Gen 2 MCB.
Just a little point. If you do run a pigtail to the wall connecter and plug it in to a 14-50, you will be able to pull 40 amps (on a 50 amp breaker. Still not the 48 max the car will take by hardwiring it (60 amp breaker) but still faster than the new UMC.

JMZMartin

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Other than Freedom Electric does anyone have another DFW / Denton county electrician they recommend? I'm still deciding between NEMA outlets and the full wall connector. But having a couple of estimates to compare will help.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Other than Freedom Electric does anyone have another DFW / Denton county electrician they recommend? I'm still deciding between NEMA outlets and the full wall connector. But having a couple of estimates to compare will help.
Tesla will recommend one or more electricians if you put in your location here: https://www.tesla.com/support/find-electrician. I would get one bid from there plus two more from elsewhere. I haven't completed my installation yet, so I don't have a recommendation.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mike at MD Electric has been very good, based out of Carrollton. (214) 797-1417‬. Did a great job on a complete house retrofit for me a few years back - aluminum to copper and new panel. Then came back and added my 14-50 earlier this year.

breadfan35

Country
Country
I used ABR Electric. I Got quotes from 3 different Electricians, all of whom where part of Tesla's recommended list and ABR gave the best price and was able to put the unit where I wanted. I was pleased with their work and professionalism.

https://www.abrelectric.com/

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today in this old house:

I plan to install a 14-50 and it needs to run almost 30 feet through my attic from the back of my house to the carport. So far I had a quote for $850 from mister electric, and a 6-20 line would have cost $650. My house is old and most outlets are not properly grounded so I can't even use 110v outlets to charge it unless I upgrade that also. Still need to see if i need to upgrade my 100 amp box. I have a bunch of fridges for beer brewing and run off 4 window units so I assume that I may have to pick between using my dryer or charging my car on some nights.

My friend referred me to his electrician and will see if that saves me any money.

I did check with oncor to see about my load usage, but they just determined that my transformer needs to be upgraded since it is near max capacity since I am installing an EV charging plug. I am still trying to understand my max load usage, but so far it shows 1.54kwh as my maximum draw during the summer. Probably when I had my dryer on.

smartmetertexas.com has all the data if anyone is interested in monitoring their electrical usage. My electric company does not have that.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If Oncor is your wires company then your usage will be in Smartmetertexas portal. The data comes from the wires company (Oncor) who reads and owns the meter. Typically the load data is in kWh for each 15 minute interval. In that case you need to multiply your energy (kWh) by 4 to get your demand (what Oncor uses to size your transformer).
So 1.54 kWh over 15 minutes is 1.54 X 4 = 6.16kW.
BTW a dryer usually draws about 5kW so that is a reasonable value.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When comparing that figure to amps (6kwh in one hour), how much does that work out to? or how does a dryer compare to a 14-50 amp charger? I assume at that rate I should not charge and run the dryer at the same time unless I upgrade to a 200 amp box. What is the amp draw on a standard dryer? Are newer ones more efficient? Mine is old. Will do some research on this myself, but throwing out that question if knowledge is available.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When comparing that figure to amps (6kwh in one hour), how much does that work out to?
Roughly, 6kW / 240V = 25 amps.

The Mobile Connector that comes with the car will draw 32 amps max. So that will make your new maximum about 57 amps.