Destination Chargers: real time info??

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tronkus

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Dear M3 community,

It might be a stupid question or at least a very quick one to check for the ones already using M3, but I googled that and have no clear answer.

Though it is clear that the M3 screen provides Tesla Superchargers real-time info (that can be more or less accurate) about stalls available, what about the Destination Chargers? Are they showing stalls available in real time or just the total number of stalls, that can be being used or not at that particular time?

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Dear M3 community,

It might be a stupid question or at least a very quick one to check for the ones already using M3, but I googled that and have no clear answer.

Though it is clear that the M3 screen provides Tesla Superchargers real-time info (that can be more or less accurate) about stalls available, what about the Destination Chargers? Are they showing stalls available in real time or just the total number of stalls, that can be being used or not at that particular time?
Tesla can set them up to do that but it would probably be too costly right now to do so. Maybe that’s something we’ll see in a few years but with a different type of destination charger. FWIW, I set up my home charger to display if it’s in use or not so many chargers can be retrofitted to do that.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Dear M3 community,

The destination chargers are the same as the personal Wall Connectors but are provided (or purchased) by properties for their customers use. They have no data ability and are not under Tesla’s control (but the property owner). So even if they did have data capabilities, it would be left to each facility to have it connected.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla can set them up to do that but it would probably be too costly right now to do so. Maybe that’s something we’ll see in a few years but with a different type of destination charger. FWIW, I set up my home charger to display if it’s in use or not so many chargers can be retrofitted to do that.
I'm not sure why you would want to do that but how did you do it?

Tronkus

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Thanks for the answers guys. That is what I expected. Though it shouldn’t be difficult to share this info in real time and it would be extremely helpful (specially in places where you have few DCs)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The closest equivalent is Chargepoint; if you have the Chargepoint app then you can see real-time status of their charging stations, which are the most common 3rd party network

kort677

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
chargepoint can do this because their units are networked and company owned. the tesla "destination chargers are not networked nor are they company owned. many chargepoint units are pay per use while the tesla destination chargers are provided at no cost.
most of the destination chargers were added by businesses to draw in tesla owners and at some point tesla was giving away the hardware to spur the installation.
adding a networking component would be an added cost to these businesses and could limit the number of places willing to assume the additional costs.