Delivery Dilemma - Would love your advice

Should I accept or decline?

• Total voters
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello, have been lurking for a bit so first post. Appreciate all the wisdom shared here.

Took a test drive of a model 3 performance on 8-29-18. Fell in love.
Got my affairs in order and ordered a silver model 3 performance loaded on 9-7-18. Initially it said I would be lined up for a Nov - Dec delivery which was fine by me. A couple days later Elon announced they were stopping silver and black and I got an email on 9/12 that I could get my Tesla delivered on 9/29. WHOA.. That was fast!
Communication with my delivery rep was quick and fantastic.
Car arrived on the lot today 9/25 and they called to ask if I could pick it up tomorrow. Sure!

Now, I live about a half mile from the tesla delivery center so I went over there this evening to see if I could see the car. (Yes I'm a little kid inside).

There are a few things that jump out at me when I lay eyes on the car. What do you think I should do. I really would like to take the car. Are these things easily repairable? Will tesla hassle me about it? Should I delcline the vehicle? Sigh...

Number one is the gap between the hood and front bumper. It seems really big to me. Easily the biggest gap on the car. I eyeball the next two model 3's on the lot and take pics for comparison.

What do you think? I think this would bother me. (Mine is the 3rd pick silver)

screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-10-02-41-pm-png.15063
screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-10-02-28-pm-png.15064
screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-10-01-38-pm-png.15065

I decide to sleep on it and continue looking over the car. Overall LOVE IT! beautiful! But then something catches my eye on the drivers panel below the door. Ugh... Looks like the delivery driver trashed the bottom of the car loading and unloading it. The scars run the length of both doors with deep gashes and indentions. Check the other side of the car and ditto. Also some deep scratches on the battery shield. See some poor pictures below. Sorry this was starting to be bad light.

screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-9-59-54-pm-png.15066
screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-9-59-48-pm-png.15067

screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-9-58-51-pm-png.15068

The other thing I noticed was a pretty substantial misalignment between the passenger front and rear door with the back of the rear door metal showing. Also these doors have paint drips. I don't care so much about the paint drips, but the door should probably be fixed.

screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-9-56-46-pm-png.15069

The last thing, I'm not sure is normal is the battery charging door. It was really badly aligned and stuck out almost a half inch from flush. Didn't seem right.

screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-9-54-36-pm-png.15070

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
all of the alignment items they can easily adjust (although have no idea what the 'door alignment' photo is showing). the underside scratches I would not even bother worrying about. first time you scrape a speed bump in a parking lot, it'll look like this.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are all being very hyper critical of our Tesla for a couple reasons. They are very expensive and we know that Tesla will fix anything no questions asked. Point these flaws out to the SC, have them order what they need to order and in the interim drive it like you stole it

HappyDad

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 2-cents:

I understand your situation and it is a tough one IMO. I said 'tough' because of the full fed credit expiring end of 12/2018. I thought of the same situation when expecting my delivery. Asking myself if there are issues, should I reject or accept and get them fixed by Tesla. Because if I reject, I risk missing the 12/31/2018 delivery deadline, and I will be penalized by spending at least $3,750 more for the same Tesla. Hard to swallow this hefty penalty for no fault of the buyer.

If I were you I would weigh if you can live with these issues initially until Tesla service resolves them, or reject and wait for next delivery understanding the 12/31 monetary risk.

All the best!

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ask them what they can/will fix?
Everything but the under car damage may be just tweakable by them.
If the under-car damage isn't visible when walking around the car, I wouldn't worry about it.

HappyDad

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ask them what they can/will fix?
Everything but the under car damage may be just tweakable by them.
If the under-car damage isn't visible when walking around the car, I wouldn't worry about it.
But be sure under-car damage did not compromise or damage battery which is practically the entire bottom.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My advice:

Accept the car. It's going to suck to have to give it back to them (possibly for several days and maybe weeks) to fix various body issues, but there's no guarantee that a second car wouldn't have similar or worse issues.

Report the issues. Make sure Tesla agrees to fix all of the issues for you. If so, then you'll end up with a great car in the end. All of the panel misalignments should be easily fixable by the body shop. Others are saying to ignore the deep scrapes in the rocker panel. Personally, I'd still ask them to replace or repaint those. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to replace that plastic rocker panel piece.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I've never had a car with damage on delivery before. I'm excited about the car but am a little nervous about the potential headaches. I'd like to see the underside on a lift before purchasing and get their commitment to resolve the hopefully minor body issues. Hopefully they won't give me a hard time about this.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never had a car with damage on delivery before.
It's not that cars from other automakers never arrive with damage. It's just that dealerships usually have all of these kinds of issues fixed before delivering to the buyer. Tesla really should be fixing these issues before delivery too. They're just completely overwhelmed with the growing delivery logistics and lack of capacity at delivery centers.

I think this is just the price that we have to pay right now to be early adopters of an otherwise awesome and game-changing car.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not that cars from other automakers never arrive with damage. It's just that dealerships usually have all of these kinds of issues fixed before delivering to the buyer. Tesla really should be fixing these issues before delivery too. They're just completely overwhelmed with the growing delivery logistics and lack of capacity at delivery centers.

I think this is just the price that we have to pay right now to be early adopters of an otherwise awesome and game-changing car.

I agree. It is a world class, game changing car. With the massive production and distribution push, some things are going to slip through the cracks. I'm a Elon / Tesla supporter, investor, and evangelist and this buying experience has been wonderful so far. I'm really impressed with all of my interactions with employees of the company. I hope the delivery person today continues that trend.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those gaps should be easily aligned and they may even get to it before you see the car today.

Those scratches on the underside appear to be the Sill Skirts. Correct me if I am wrong, but they are plastic pieces that run the length of the car between the wheels. these attach are and replaceable. I know this as mine were damaged by a shop doing my 1st tire rotation.
I ordered the parts through Tesla but it has been almost a month and still haven't received them. They have nothing to do with the battery shielding

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those scratches on the underside appear to be the Sill Skirts. Correct me if I am wrong, but they are plastic pieces that run the length of the car between the wheels. these attach are and replaceable. I know this as mine were damaged by a shop doing my 1st tire rotation.
Yep, that's what's being shown in the photograph.

"Sill skirts", eh? I'll have to remember that name. It was smart to make them plastic & easy to replace. These cars are going to take a lot of damage in that area.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, that's what's being shown in the photograph.

"Sill skirts", eh? I'll have to remember that name. It was smart to make them plastic & easy to replace. These cars are going to take a lot of damage in that area.
Technically "M3 base rocker lower cover assembly" $230 each
and I was quoted $35 for each to install.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is a little pick of the whole car (I haven't named her yet, trying not to get emotionally attached). Other than the nose gap, she's purty. :)

View attachment 15077
She's a beauty. Treat her right!* ;)

*This is my "I'm at work with no time to reply" way of saying ACCEPT THE CAR!!! :)

Also, point things out and let Tesla take care of stuff for you. They've been good about that in most situations I've read here.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I've never had a car with damage on delivery before. I'm excited about the car but am a little nervous about the potential headaches. I'd like to see the underside on a lift before purchasing and get their commitment to resolve the hopefully minor body issues. Hopefully they won't give me a hard time about this.
You mention that you never had a car with delivery damage before, but have you ever done the detailed look on the other cars?

The Model 3 is often mentioned as a lego car, as such, there are many places where things can be easily adjusted.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those gaps should be easily aligned and they may even get to it before you see the car today.

I ordered the parts through Tesla but it has been almost a month and still haven't received them. They have nothing to do with the battery shielding
Thats great insight. Thank you! It makes me feel better to know that Cathey’s can be easily replaced. There are also deep scratches on the battery cover not shown in the pictures.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You mention that you never had a car with delivery damage before, but have you ever done the detailed look on the other cars?

The Model 3 is often mentioned as a lego car, as such, there are many places where things can be easily adjusted.

I’ve historically bought Japanese built Toyota’s and Lexus vehicles with a J VIN. Built quality has been really good and never any panel alignment issues or visible delivery damage. They may have fixed it before I saw it. Who knows.

lairdb

Country
Country
My advice:

Accept the car. It's going to suck to have to give it back to them (possibly for several days and maybe weeks) to fix various body issues, but there's no guarantee that a second car wouldn't have similar or worse issues.

Report the issues. Make sure Tesla agrees to fix all of the issues for you. If so, then you'll end up with a great car in the end. All of the panel misalignments should be easily fixable by the body shop. Others are saying to ignore the deep scrapes in the rocker panel. Personally, I'd still ask them to replace or repaint those. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to replace that plastic rocker panel piece.
I'm supposed to pick up a P+ tomorrow (full disclosure: wife has had her LR for several months; minor issues fixed promptly.)

I'm inclined to agree with you -- but what is the best method for "Report the issues"? Call Roadside? Call CS? Email servicehelpna? (Please don't say "email your Delivery Advisor". I have not received an email or response to mine in weeks and I'm not sure they even work there any more.) I'm totally willing to accept minor fixable things, and to give them a patient chance to fix them -- but I want some sort of assurance that they're on-the-record.

(Incidentally, in case it matters: my local Service Center is not the same place as my local Delivery Center; I have the feeling that's not common.)

Last edited: