Delivery Checklist

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Country
Country
To start a discussion:
1) What do you think has caused the issue?
2) What should Tesla do in this case?
3) What should the buyer do in this case? What would you do?
4) What should Tesla do to prevent this happening again?
5) Can we support the buyer in any way?
6) Will you be using the P.D.I. checklist upon delivery of your Model 3? I will.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
To start a discussion:
1) What do you think has caused the issue?
2) What should Tesla do in this case?
3) What should the buyer do in this case? What would you do?
4) What should Tesla do to prevent this happening again?
5) Can we support the buyer in any way?
6) Will you be using the P.D.I. checklist upon delivery of your Model 3? I will.
1) A void in the original sheet of aluminum, perhaps the end of the roll.....or, the roll of aluminum had a thin spot and this thin area gave way when the part was formed.
2) I would wait for the engineers report from a technical point of view. From a customer satisfaction point of view, I would replace the vehicle with a new one and use the current damaged vehicle as a teaching point along the supply, production and delivery chain. FWIW, I factory ordered a (Cartier Designer Series) Lincoln Town Car in the spring of 1986. The delivery was delayed for "insert excuse here". Years later, I came to find out that a mishap had taken place and it was corrected at the factory level. Also, for a "top of the line" Ford product, it was delivered with misaligned trim and other cosmetic issues.......
3) I would not be a PITA, BUT, I would be insisting on a new vehicle.
4) Review the whole chain of events (much like cockpit resource management in aviation) with the aim of not pining blame on one particular individual, but with improving the systemic issues that obviously are present in the QC side of Tesla.
5) Unknown other than moral support.
6) Yes, I will use a PDI checklist and I shall inform Tesla of same prior to me showing up to take delivery..

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
How about mine from 2014:

Standard Items

Configuration
VIN: <confirm it matches order>
85 kWh
Grey body/Tan leather/Obeche wood matt trim
19' Michelin Primacy Tires
Twin Chargers
Panoramic roof
Parking Sensors
Sub-zero weather package
Premium interior lighting
Tech package​
Should be Included
UMC and J1772, NEMA 5-15, NEMA 14-50 adapters
License plate frame & front plate mount
Manuals
Standard floor mats
2 fobs
Footwell cover
Software version 5.9
85 badge on rear of car
Titanium undercarriage​
Check over
Car color/features show correctly in 17” display
Inspect paint/exterior for bubbles, scratches etc.
Inspect interior frayed fabric, leather, dirt, etc.
Inspect windshield
Test charge cable (UMC) fit
Test charge port open/close
Test door handles extend/retract
Open/close glove box
Check door open/close/fit all doors
Test all seat belts
Check map lights​
Setup
Slacker username/password configured
Enable phone app access
License plates
Sync phone
Install USB stick​
Home setup
Garage door opening
Wifi connection
Home charger test​
Test at home
Rest of delivery checklist/all features

Extra questions

All weather floor mats -- pick them up and pay for them
Slacker Radio - How long does the subscription last?
What is the recommended tire rotation interval?
Are tire rotations free?
Process if I find things wrong after I drive away? Who to contact first etc.

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK, I know this is early but I'm excited & anticipating configuring my M3 :D ... did some reading on my favorite forum here -- and elsewhere on the interwebs (e.g., some MS checklists) -- and drafted this list. Still a little time for us to refine it before delivery!

OVERALL
  • Check VIN
  • Battery capacity High/Standard
  • AWD/RWD
  • Performance/Standard
  • Paint color
  • Wheels size/style

INTERIOR
  • Interior color/option
  • Seat color/options

OPTIONS
  • Premium/Standard
  • Sunroof/Glass/Metal?
  • Subzero Weather Package?
  • Other options TBD

ACCESSORIES
  • Two key fobs
  • Front and Rear floormats
  • License plate frames
  • Front license plate mount (per state)
  • UMC EVSE pack with adapters (J1772, 5-15, 14-50)
  • Manual(s)?

INSPECT
  • Paint & clearcoat over color (e.g., no bubbling, spots, dirt under clear, etc.)
  • Trunk alignment
  • Frunk alignment
  • Wheels (no scratches, gouging)
  • No issues on tires (sidewall scratches/gouging)
  • Front Windshield
  • Read Windshield
  • Side windows (and operation)
  • Charge cover (no fit and finish issues, operation)
  • Door handles (no fit and finish issues, operation)
  • Doors aligned & smooth opening/closing
  • Sunroof if optioned (no fit and finish issues, operation)
  • Dash fit (no scratches)
  • Seats (no tears, all seats adjust)
  • Chrome trim (no fit and finish issues)
  • Bumpers (no fit and finish issues)
  • Mirrors adjust and test (auto/manual)
  • Glovebox (open/close, alignment)

SERVICE CENTER SETUP
  • Walkthrough operation & option settings
  • Bluetooth pairing
  • Tesla App connected
  • Your comms account(s) entered/activated
  • Supercharger account activation/status
  • Verify can charge via UMC (plug in at Service center)
  • Tire pressures set (per door panel, per wheel/tire option)
  • Correct software & firmware (validate with Service center)
  • License plates or temp tags, registration papers (per state if transfer or new tags)
  • HoV or other per state benefits forms or links?

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Look at car, mozy around, look at car, supercharge it, mozy around, put music in drive off, handwash car, wax car, dream of car.
Dont expect to supercharge when you take delivery:
1) Car will already be charged up
2) Superchargers at the Service centers are often full/busy for cars being serviced
3) The deliveries may not take place at locations with SCs
4) They're looking to do speedy deliveries from what we've heard so they want you in and out and enjoying :)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
You have been waiting a long time and you finally got your Configurator Invite. You put in your order and have your VIN and just got your delivery date! Your adrenaline is pumping and you feel like you're about to go on a blind date with the person you know you will end up marrying!

To help keep your head screwed on straight and not be blinded by love at first sight, I've adapted a Model S checklist that many new Tesla owners have used in the past. Read it over and bring it with you. I will update this periodically as we get feedback and/or if any Model 3 specific problems appear that we need to pay closer attention to during delivery,

Enjoy your new Tesla and WELCOME TO THE FUTURE OF TRANSPORTATION!

Attachments

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Nit-picky, but wheel sizes are listed incorrectly.
actually, they're correct. 18 is standard. 19 currently available as Sport wheels. 20 will be available with performance version and possibly as separate cosmetic upgrade. If you didn't order the 19 or 20" upgrade and get them on your car, most people would just keep their mouths shut...

Ode to Joy

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
You have been waiting a long time and you finally got your Configurator Invite. You put in your order and have your VIN and just got your delivery date! Your adrenaline is pumping and you feel like you're about to go on a blind date with the person you know you will end up marrying!

To help keep your head screwed on straight and not be blinded by love at first sight, I've adapted a Model S checklist that many new Tesla owners have used in the past. Read it over and bring it with you. I will update this periodically as we get feedback and/or if any Model 3 specific problems appear that we need to pay closer attention to during delivery,

Enjoy your new Tesla and WELCOME TO THE FUTURE OF TRANSPORTATION!
This looks great. Thanks for putting this together. Can't wait to use it!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great job with this and sorry for my delay in getting back to you with feedback. Nothing major, just a couple of things to add. This is going to be really helpful for everyone! I can attest that even though I went in with a semi-plan, I was so excited that my plan boiled down to checking for UMC and adapters, panel gaps, paint, and wheels.

For before delivery day -- make sure the Registration Name is the exact name(s) that the car should be registered to. I think it goes without saying, but it's an important point.

For Delivery Day Things to Have Handy -- don't stress title if your car is not paid off. You will sign a document allowing Tesla to payoff the loan on your behalf and handle everything.

For When the car arrives -- also confirm you received the J1772 public charging adapter. Also check for interior scrapes/scratches. Especially with most taking black interior (currently only color available) and most if not all deliveries happening inside it can be dark in the car. My glovebox door was scratched and nearly impossible to see. Bullet "g" looks like it's Model X specific.

Delivery Questions -- add how do you install the phone dock cable. In my case they noticed I had an iPhone when I walked in and quietly did it for me.

Things to do at home -- seems obvious, but when setting up homelink be in the garage or out of the garage, not under the garage door :). You can setup homelink first (if you need to be close to the garage door opener for the "learn function", then back the car out to the driveway to update the setup with the GPS positioning for the self-opening/closing setup. On Model 3, aim your garage remote at the passenger side headlight and it should work right away!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Great job with this and sorry for my delay in getting back to you with feedback. Nothing major, just a couple of things to add. This is going to be really helpful for everyone! I can attest that even though I went in with a semi-plan, I was so excited that my plan boiled down to checking for UMC and adapters, panel gaps, paint, and wheels.

For before delivery day -- make sure the Registration Name is the exact name(s) that the car should be registered to. I think it goes without saying, but it's an important point.

For Delivery Day Things to Have Handy -- don't stress title if your car is not paid off. You will sign a document allowing Tesla to payoff the loan on your behalf and handle everything.

For When the car arrives -- also confirm you received the J1772 public charging adapter. Also check for interior scrapes/scratches. Especially with most taking black interior (currently only color available) and most if not all deliveries happening inside it can be dark in the car. My glovebox door was scratched and nearly impossible to see. Bullet "g" looks like it's Model X specific.

Delivery Questions -- add how do you install the phone dock cable. In my case they noticed I had an iPhone when I walked in and quietly did it for me.

Things to do at home -- seems obvious, but when setting up homelink be in the garage or out of the garage, not under the garage door :). You can setup homelink first (if you need to be close to the garage door opener for the "learn function", then back the car out to the driveway to update the setup with the GPS positioning for the self-opening/closing setup. On Model 3, aim your garage remote at the passenger side headlight and it should work right away!
This is great, thanks for the work!
I saw a similar list published yesterday on reddit, maybe you can leverage from this if there is something missing in yours:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gw13-SKi_XQkooBmWKUunrtL6GO-g8PKSJAl1eLPsJU/edit
Great suggestions! I'll update my version shortly.

I wasn't sure if the J1772 adapter is included with the Model 3. On the Tesla site, the J1772 is not included with the 2nd gen UMC. I also wasn't sure about if the license plate frames are routinely included for free either (rear only or both? I'm not sure if there's an official policy)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great suggestions! I'll update my version shortly.

I wasn't sure if the J1772 adapter is included with the Model 3. On the Tesla site, the J1772 is not included with the 2nd gen UMC. I also wasn't sure about if the license plate frames are routinely included for free either (rear only or both? I'm not sure if there's an official policy)
Both were included for me!