Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Delivery - Australia

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TrevP 
#1 ·
Tesla delivery estimator for my April 8th 2016 order shows “2019” Assuming this means New Years Eve (!) anybody believe it?

#4 ·
For cars that were evolved from existing models by an experienced manufacturer using the same technologies, that was a long wait. But on March 31, 2016, when Tesla started taking deposits, Model 3 existed only as a couple of handbuilt prototypes and Tesla had never produced cars in larger volumes (per model) than 25'000/yr. So your wait so far (3 years in 6 weeks from today ;-) is, I think, comparatively still shorter than your wait for the Boxster ;-)

The one good thing we know now: once they start building RHD cars, they will deliver the first few thousand to the UK and Australia just a month or two later -- their production line works fine and the changes needed for RHD should not cause any problem.
The question is how soon they can start using one of their production lines for RHD cars, while still maintaining a reasonable production rate for Europe and China.
Perhaps Mr. Musk would be in a position to give an estimate at this point?

#5 ·
Based on how they do production for international markets and financial concerns you can expect them to start UK/Australia builds at the very start of a quarter in order for cars to reach the farthest reaches so they can delivered and profits realized before the end of that quarter. Best guess would be no sooner than Q3 2019

#6 ·
Thanks for that perspective TrevP!
I attended a launch evening at our local multi brand dealership last week (Hyundai/Kia/Renault/Nissan/BMW) where Kona Electric, 120Ah i3, the new Leaf and Zoe were finally introduced to our fair country. At last!
But none of these cars is suitable for anything other than city work due to the non-existence of fast charging infrastructure (other than Tesla Superchargers) 25kW Chargers in shopping malls are only capable of adding, say 100km in 2 hours, which makes a long trip a lot longer!
So Tesla is the solution, but I can’t afford the entry level $150000 Model S. Let alone the $200000 Model X!
I’m hoping to pull a Model 3 for just under $90000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.