Delayed Production?

I always had this question. What would happen if I move from NY to TX by the time 3 starts to roll out?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That test drive verbiage is the first time I've heard Tesla use "production" and "late 2017" together in a domestic context...

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I always had this question. What would happen if I move from NY to TX by the time 3 starts to roll out?
Hi @kp623 , had a similar question when I reserved, since I will have moved 650 miles SW to France by the time I get to order... The T≡SLA rep told me it would not change anything (of course, except for the slight difference in VAT, i.e. value added tax, between the two countries... you might have the same with sales tax). Don't believe it would change anything as far as my place in line; not sure if the similar SW move from state to state would for you...
It does remain a slight concern of mine though and one I intend to follow-up when back in my neck of the woods... this is likely to happen to a lot of folks over such a long period of time so as always I'll remain optimistic :)

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is that one line that says that production will begin at the end of 2017.

When can I test drive Model 3?
We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production at the end of 2017.
English is weird and this sentence is ambiguous to me. I can see this being consistent with the timeline that's already been shared if we reword it as so:

Once we begin production, we will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 at the end of 2017.​

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
English is weird and this sentence is ambiguous to me. I can see this being consistent with the timeline that's already been shared if we reword it as so:

Once we begin production, we will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 at the end of 2017.​
@Kizzy , I see it takes a California lady to make this clear to all of us... :D

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone else remember the language of the FAQ being almost identical on the test drive bit around the first reveal? I remember a line suggesting you test out an S for the hell of it too.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did that S test drive with my wife and put down our reservation immediately after. Very convincing sales model!
So full of confidence that 3 will be a fantastic car.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I expect to be in the first 50K but who knows when. On the Tesla Model 3 Reservations FAQ web page, it "officially" says two different production timeframes: One says it they will begin production mid-2017 and another says late-2017.
https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3-reservations-faq
I think it's a typo and most likely didn't get updated by the marketing team. Sometimes Tesla's website is a bit hit or miss with information not being 100% consistent.

Anyhow, once production begins some of the stores will get test drive cars once they have some of the backlog taken care of. Model S was the only recent car they had test drives for before production began during the "Get Amped" tour of 2012. They let reservation holders test drive beta cars so that everyone knew they were serious and the car was not vapourware.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it's a typo and most likely didn't get updated by the marketing team. Sometimes Tesla's website is a bit hit or miss with information not being 100% consistent.
You also see differences between websites for different countries. As long as it isn't urgent there is no need to be 100 % exact. I trust that when things get serious for us, everything will tighten up.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
FYI. I just joined and put in my money for a model 3 as a small effort on my part to fight Donald Trump and his followers. As long as entities such as Tesla succeed--there is still hope for this world.
@Steven C. Dondlnger , welcome to M3OC! You've come to the right place for accurate information when available, informative & often quite humorous exchanges and a great way to share good times as we all wait for the moment of bliss... the long awaited Model ≡ on our driveway (or curbside, for those who don't have a house...;))! Enjoy!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
FYI. I just joined and put in my money for a model 3 as a small effort on my part to fight Donald Trump and his followers. As long as entities such as Tesla succeed--there is still hope for this world.
Steven, welcome to Model 3! Lots of great people here sharing in your wait for this great car.

Certainly not to make this political, but as for Donald Trump, I'm not so sure he doesn't want to see Tesla succeed as well. Bringing all those jobs to Freemont, Sparks and Buffalo sure sounds in line with his promise to bring jobs back to US soil. It will certainly be interesting to see how his administration pans out.

Anyway, welcome again and I am sure you will find hours and hours of reading pleasure in the pages of this forum.

Dan

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI. I just joined and put in my money for a model 3 as a small effort on my part to fight Donald Trump and his followers.
In general, can we make a concerted effort to not post these sorts of divisive political statements? This forum is full of more than just people who agree with you, and it makes it a less inviting place to hang out when it's done.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Although I agree with you @Steven C. Dondlnger , it really doesn't matter why people are enthusiastic about Tesla and the Model 3. As long as they are and increase to be enthusiastic.So it's better if this forum stays non-political.
Elon Musk and Tesla have certainly increased my belief that it may be possible to let the necessary energy transition succeed.
Welcome and have fun! I learned A LOT since I joined. Also look up the M3OC-video's on YouTube, which will bring you up to (ludicrous) speed.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
In general, can we make a concerted effort to not post these sorts of divisive political statements? This forum is full of more than just people who agree with you, and it makes it a less inviting place to hang out when it's done.
@garsh , a healthy reminder... there definitely will be different opinions & preferences amongst an increasingly large group of M3OC members... For the most part, I believe we do pretty well in refraining from getting carried away in potentially muddy political waters, hence you were well advised in emphasising this sound ground rule.
As @MichelT3 implied, we are & should remain united by the promise of Elon's vision for the world and the mission he set for T≡SLA on this path. Moreover, we are here to learn & to share in the exciting wait for one of the most revolutionary new car in a very long time... Let our words be most constructive... Thank you.

VJD

Saw a Business Insider article quoting Morgan Stanley auto analyst, "a reliable Tesla bull" saying they don't expect Model 3 in 2017.
http://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-model-3-wont-be-late-2016-12 Excerpt below. Note that the author of the article doesn't agree!

But then Jonas reiterated what could be considered a controversial prediction.
"We do not expect the Model 3 to be launched in 2017," he wrote. [His emphasis.]
And he added this, which I'm excerpting at length:

While we cannot rule it out, we do not adopt as our base case a scenario in which Model 3 deliveries begin in 2017. We recognize that Tesla management has targeted a [second-half] launch date and that they will make every effort to satisfy high levels of preliminary demand and fill orders for the product as soon as possible. However, our base case is for a launch in late 2018. We have taken this conservative approach to allow for the probability that Tesla will choose to prioritize the quality, cost, performance and lifesaving technology of the vehicle. While Tesla still adopts a high level of vertical integration, we expect the Model 3 to rely even more extensively on 3rd party suppliers than the Model S, potentially increasing the scope of supply-related factors outside of the company’s control.

I haven't posted here before, but I have some "inside information". I live 20 minutes from the R&D and engineering facility in Lathrop, CA. I also do business with the plant in Fremont, CA and have been on site with services at the Giga factory in NV several times, doing business.
The Giga factory people that I know told me two weeks ago that production will definitely start in November of 2017 at the latest and they anticipate building all Model 3 orders by November of 2018. They were just updated by corporate and internal communications from Elon Musk that day that I was there.
I also just had lunch on Wednesday with 5 Tesla associates from Lathrop that are in engineering and R&D departments and they confirmed that they are right on schedule or even slightly ahead of schedule. I'm angling to get higher up the list (I'm at 249,500+ right now), but we'll see I get up there.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Saw a Business Insider article quoting Morgan Stanley auto analyst, "a reliable Tesla bull" saying they don't expect Model 3 in 2017.
http://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-model-3-wont-be-late-2016-12 Excerpt below. Note that the author of the article doesn't agree!
Hey, @VJD , thanks to you too for posting the link to the positive Business Insider article, thereby triggering @Bruce L Frank 's extremely encouraging input!!
We all wait optimistically (some rightly say, not always so patiently...;)) hence these great news boosting our confidence on the announced launch schedule are for sure 'music to our ears'...
Have a nice day!