Delay (production) if order revised to add EAP.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hummed and harred about adding Enhanced Auto Pilot to my original order but didn't in the rush to put it in. After a lot of reading I feel that I do want TACC (traffic aware cruise control) which is in the suite of EAP. I called Tesla about revising my order, which is placed but there has not been any contact or VIN assigned. The lady said she would have to send a new change e-mail and it would then have to be escalated to ....another group. I asked if this would cause any delay with the production as it is only a software change ( that can be sent over the air too). She was insistent that it would cause a delay. So I told her not to bother then as I didn't want to cause a delay. But I notice somewhere on my order info it say if I add EAP ater Sept 20 it will cost 5500 not sure if this indicates when it will be built or because other reasons.

I would have thought Tesla would want to up-sell this option at any opportunity to increase the sale price with so minimal cost to them. Once someone drives away from the center I would think the likely hood of them adding it lessens greatly.

So is it possible to add EAP when you talk to your VIN assigner or up until hand over delivery at the normal price 5000, or do I bite the bullet now to ensure no price bump and accept a possible build delay?

Thanks
Greg.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
My suggestion would be to call or stop in at your delivery/service center. Somebody there can probably help you with a more reasonable response. I don't get why they tell customers about delays and such with just adding EAP or FSD. When customers want to give you more money to help pay for items already on the car just take the money! I understand changing an item like wheels or interior but software makes no sense. Good luck and enjoy your new car when you get it!! It's awesome!!!!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hummed and harred about adding Enhanced Auto Pilot to my original order but didn't in the rush to put it in. After a lot of reading I feel that I do want TACC (traffic aware cruise control) which is in the suite of EAP. I called Tesla about revising my order, which is placed but there has not been any contact or VIN assigned. The lady said she would have to send a new change e-mail and it would then have to be escalated to ....another group. I asked if this would cause any delay with the production as it is only a software change ( that can be sent over the air too). She was insistent that it would cause a delay. So I told her not to bother then as I didn't want to cause a delay. But I notice somewhere on my order info it say if I add EAP ater Sept 20 it will cost 5500 not sure if this indicates when it will be built or because other reasons.

I would have thought Tesla would want to up-sell this option at any opportunity to increase the sale price with so minimal cost to them. Once someone drives away from the center I would think the likely hood of them adding it lessens greatly.

So is it possible to add EAP when you talk to your VIN assigner or up until hand over delivery at the normal price 5000, or do I bite the bullet now to ensure no price bump and accept a possible build delay?

Thanks
Greg.
Call again. Get it added now or you’ll pay the higher price likely. It seems to depend on the circumstances and who you talk to. Their logistics are a mess right now regardless of what happens.

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I decided to splurge on EAP last minute and had the delivery team add it day I picked it up. My IDA told me after I was assigned a VIN I could add it but it might delay delivery. Obviously I avoided a delivery delay but I’m sure results will vary. Point being neither my delivery center nor my IDA said I couldn’t add it after assigned a car before delivery. Might be worth waiting for a VIN if concerned about delaying assignment.

dragonsurge

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’m struggling with the exact same question! Feels like it should be a simple add on that might accelerate your delivery since you’d be adding pure profit to Tesla’s bottom line. I do fear the delay in processing such a request though, since they are in this massive growth phase.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The online order change page is now locked as far as I can tell so I have to have them add it I think.

It does seam like Tesla are missing a trick here. I think it should be almost like a “dealer” added option like first aide kit and floor mats that they try and get you to add at the last minute before you drive away. Surely all they have to do is put you on the EAP list.
A lot of people may find too that they have had more time between placing their order and having it filled even two to four months that they now might have the extra to cover the cost of EAP and want to add it at the service center at delivery. As we know Tesla are wanting to get as much cash as quickly as possible that this would seam like the perfect way and at so little cost to fulfill that requirement.

I think I will try and go into the service center and talk to someone. I was afraid they would be crazy busy so hadn’t wanted to add to that or having to wait ages to see someone.

bearpwn

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just as a word of caution, I upgraded my AWD order to P3D- on August 7th via email (as instructed to do by phone rep to keep free connectivity/supercharging) and still as of today my online page has not changed - still says sep-nov delivery for AWD config at AWD price. I never (still never) received a formal acknowledgement of this change via email. I have called roughly once a week since then and was first told that on "their end" it says I'm waiting for a performance model but then the next time I called was told that the change was never "processed" and it was urgently forwarded to another department and then I called a week later and was told it was officially being "processed" and would reflect online within 3-5 business days and so today 7 days later I called again and the rep today even seemed to get annoyed at me for me venting (while acknowledging to him it's obviously nothing he has control over) that it's been like 35 days and I simply have no idea what is going on with this order. He said "you just need to give it time". Right. 35 days seems like a whole lot of time to simply update a webpage. So I vent all this out just to caution you about email changes. I know I'll love the car, but I really have lost some respect and trust in the company through this process. It should not be this difficult/opaque.

back51

Country
Country
I added it after my IDA contacted me and it did not delay delivery. Added it via an email

“Hey Shawn, thanks for your help. I’ve decided to add EAP to my order. Can you make that happen?”

“Awesome, I’ll add it for you!”

That simple.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I was passing through Cleveland in early August, and stopped in the Tesla SC, spoke with a representative, and decided to change the color and add FSD, it changed my delivery from August-October to October-December. I pick up my car in less that 2 weeks.
So I say do it! They isn't much lag from order to delivery from what I've seen in other threads.