Defective UMC

Daniel D.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I wanted to provide my experience with the UMC that was given to me at delivery.

When I plugged in my UMC to the NEMA 5-40 in garage for the first time and charged the Model 3 it immediately threw an error when plugged in. The error read "cannot charge - unplug and try again." I unplugged the UMC from the wall and tried one more time. The car began to charge but when it reached its charge limit of 70% it threw the error again.

I called Tesla support and had them read the logs. We tried several troubleshooting steps such as:

1. Turn breaker off and then on again
2. Unplug UMC from outlet for 20 seconds to reset the UMC
3. Completely power cycle the vehicle by pressing the "power off" vehicle button on screen and waiting two minutes
4. Charging through a 110v outlet
5. Upgrading to the latest vehicle firmware

Power cycling the vehicle was the only solution that worked for about 12 hours. I finally had to take a trip to the SC where they kept the vehicle overnight and charged it with my UMC. Tesla was not able to replicate the problem and thought it was a software bug.

After charging my vehicle at work for a couple of days without issue (J1772 adapter) I decided to try again at home. The same error occurred again. Upon my second visit to the SC they decided to replace my UMC to see if it was the cable. Replacing the UMC seemed to be the fix. The UMC that was given at delivery did not like to be "idle." Charging the car never seemed to be the problem. However, when the charge was complete, the UMC always threw an error and did not state "charge complete."

I wanted to share my experience in case this happens to anyone out there.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to provide my experience with the UMC that was given to me at delivery.

When I plugged in my UMC to the NEMA 5-40 in garage for the first time and charged the Model 3 it immediately threw an error when plugged in. The error read "cannot charge - unplug and try again." I unplugged the UMC from the wall and tried one more time. The car began to charge but when it reached its charge limit of 70% it threw the error again.

I called Tesla support and had them read the logs. We tried several troubleshooting steps such as:

1. Turn breaker off and then on again
2. Unplug UMC from outlet for 20 seconds to reset the UMC
3. Completely power cycle the vehicle by pressing the "power off" vehicle button on screen and waiting two minutes
4. Charging through a 110v outlet
5. Upgrading to the latest vehicle firmware

Power cycling the vehicle was the only solution that worked for about 12 hours. I finally had to take a trip to the SC where they kept the vehicle overnight and charged it with my UMC. Tesla was not able to replicate the problem and thought it was a software bug.

After charging my vehicle at work for a couple of days without issue (J1772 adapter) I decided to try again at home. The same error occurred again. Upon my second visit to the SC they decided to replace my UMC to see if it was the cable. Replacing the UMC seemed to be the fix. The UMC that was given at delivery did not like to be "idle." Charging the car never seemed to be the problem. However, when the charge was complete, the UMC always threw an error and did not state "charge complete."

I wanted to share my experience in case this happens to anyone out there.
Thanks for the post, I haven't tested out my UMC yet since I have a wall charger. This reminded me to plug it in just to make sure it works.

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I got home after taking delivery, I couldn’t get my UMC to work (car gave error message about limited charge and then stopped charging). The light by the port was flashing amber/yellow. It gave the same message when I tried using the regular wall plug and the NEMA 14-50, and the car charged fine at delivery earlier that day, so we figured it was the cable. I called tech support and they had me do several things including powering the car down completely and rebooting with no help. Then they put me up a level to an engineer and she told me to insert the cable in the car and “PUSH AS HARD AS I CAN”. After a second of REALLY putting my back into it, the handle went further in and the car started charging normally. I haven’t had any issues with it since, and I don’t have to shove hard at all anymore to get the cable inserted. Go figure. But I thought I would post my experience just in case it helps someone else :)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and she told me to “PUSH AS HARD AS I CAN”.
I'm really fighting my immaturity here. :)

It sounds like there might be a gasket (for weatherproofing) that might not be completely seated correctly from the factory. Might be in the car, but might more likely be in the UMC. So pushing just seated it the rest of the way.

Good to know.

After a second of REALLY putting my back into it...
Yeah, I don't last much longer either. :(

Going to have mine replaced tomorrow as the brick is way too hot with only 16A @120V. I can only imagine the brick temps with a 6-50. I have tested it on the the S, I have tested it by deploying a 6-20 adapter all with the same stopping and restarting fault results. I have a nice stiff 123V with no voltage wiggle even when the pool heater kicks on.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Glad I found this thread. This is what was happening to me, so I tried pushing really hard and still nothing. Took a look at the connector, it looks like one of the female sides is misaligned to the holes so it’s not catching properly :(.

Going to head back to the pick up center tomorrow to swap it out.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because of this thread I pulled out my UMC and it worked just fine except for one small detail. For some reason the button on the connector would not open the charge port door. I know there are 10 different ways to open that door but I still like things to work as intended so I let the SC know when my car was there. They checked it and said it wasn't producing a strong enough signal so they gave me a new one. Just makes me wonder how these communicate with the car. I'd guess it uses Bluetooth or something similar. Anyone know?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am in the process of getting my mobil connector replaced, the button was not functioning for a while (plugged or unplugged), then I had a few charge interruptions but it would work again, and for the last few days it does not function at all, the car reporting an error the instant it is plugged in. Support has been very slow.

Because of this thread I pulled out my UMC and it worked just fine except for one small detail. For some reason the button on the connector would not open the charge port door. I know there are 10 different ways to open that door but I still like things to work as intended so I let the SC know when my car was there. They checked it and said it wasn't producing a strong enough signal so they gave me a new one. Just makes me wonder how these communicate with the car. I'd guess it uses Bluetooth or something similar. Anyone know?
It is radio signal like a key fob when not plugged in, but signals through its single wire can connection when plugged in.