Deep sleep?

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The other day, I left my phone plugged in the car while I went off to a meeting. I had been using the wallet card to lock and unlock, the phone had very little charge. After my meeting I went back to the car and the wallet card did nothing, the car wouldn't unlock. I tried several times in different positions and same thing. I went back inside to grab a coffee and contemplate my options. Without a working phone, the wallet card was my only access. The other card was home, I was thinking the bus might be necessary to go and get it so I headed back out to walk to the bus station. I tried the card once more, pushing in the door handle and suddenly it awoke and the mirrors folded out and it let me in. Hooray! But not quite. The rest of the car was still in some sort of deep sleep. Nothing on the display, pushing the brake pedal did nothing, the car definitely was not alive. I was about to call the Tesla service number when suddenly, the car woke up and everything seemed normal. Odd, very odd. Anyone had this experience? It hasn't happened since. When it does, I'll take notes and times and exactly what I did and call Tesla but so far, this is a one time thing. I took a photo so I'd have a time/date in case it happens again.
ItsDeadJim.JPG

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes thanks. Was planning to I guess. I'm expecting another visit from the mobile service guy though---he broke a rear seat clip when he replaced the charge port door and is going to replace it---and was going to ask him if he wanted to call it in or if I should. Kinda curious if anyone else has had this happen though too!

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@tencate, I think I have had this happen once as well. I didn't pay enough attention to circumstances though to have any data to report to Tesla though. I was just happy to be able to drive away.

I *think* I may have done the same thing though, locked my phone inside (Bluetooth disabled), then the key card wouldn't open the door, and a blank screen when the door did open. I seem to also remember the window didn't roll down to clear the seal when it finally opened. However, I could be confusing two incidents.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just to followup, I seem to not have had my earlier problem with the last software update. However, I have noticed that after I reach full charge overnight, the car does seem to go into some sort of deep sleep mode and it sometimes doesn't seem to wake up very gracefully, e.g., I can't reach it with the phone App to preheat the car or I can unlock but it seems to take a second or three before the car is completely alive and ready for me. If, on the other hand, I don't reach my charging limit overnight, it wakes up much more efficiently. But I've not had the experience I had before---although these days I'm not using my key card anymore, I should try again when the car is being cranky about waking up and see if the key card works differently. Teething pains maybe? Every software update seems to produce more consistent behavior so I'm just being patient.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It would be nice if it gave you a full 24 hours before it went deep sleep. Deep sleep while plugged in is especially silly, as is deep sleep while out for a few hours. I’ll spring for a kW if necessary.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My M3 has a similar issue - first, it goes into deep sleep only after a few hours but not consistently. secondly, when i try to unlock/open the door when it is in deep sleep, it takes a while - i'm talking 30 seconds to a minute for the door to finally open. I am able to override this wait by unlocking from the app. third, the screen doesn't always turn on. I know the car is alive and ready for me, i can put it in to gear and drive but the screen will remain dark. Obviously its not the best way to drive so I have to force reset (pressing the two scroll wheels) to get the screen to turn back on.
I've scheduled an appt at my local service center for next week but was curious if any of you have this issue.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I still get occasional funky behavior when the car wakes up overnight from charging. Mostly when it reaches full charge and stops sometime during the night. In the morning I come out and it does the sorts of things you've seen and I've described above. However, I live in no-man's-land when it comes to cell phone coverage and often I simply don't have connectivity either; and I just figure it's because I live in the sticks. I find that if I'm patient, the car eventually sorts itself out and wakes up entirely. Only once did I get annoyed, it was raining (naturally) and the car took a few seconds to sort itself out. I was just about to fire up the App to unlock the door when the car finally realized I was trying to get in. I have not had to use the wallet key for a very long time now though. It's getting lots better. I'm patient. They'll sort things out.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately, I'm posting after day one with Middie.

Maybe my fault for starting an update early after getting the car home from the Service Center. They assured me latest update was installed, but I think this update literally became available after delivery.

In any event, Middie is sound asleep after working with Tesla Support and the "buttons in one minute, wait a minute" mode to force it to wake up.

Any other ideas?

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In any event, Middie is sound asleep after working with Tesla Support and the "buttons in one minute, wait a minute" mode to force it to wake up.
Can you explain in a little more detail? It doesn't see your phone as key or won't unlock when you push the door handle?

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you explain in a little more detail? It doesn't see your phone as key or won't unlock when you push the door handle?
Thanks for asking:

1. Doors open when I push the handle.
2. Charging door opens when pressing button on the mobile charger (and charges (green light))
3. Middie is completely offline, Tesla tried some "pokes", no response.
4. Mobile app reports last update at 12:45 pm.
5. I had manually started an update around 12:20pm.
6. Touch screen had locked up after showing "charging complete" in upper left (used my J1772 charger I already have, was charging with no issues)
7. Two button salute to reboot, nothing ever since.
8. Tesla reports the update completed and firmware updated from what they see on their end.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow. This doesn't sound like deep sleep, it's more of a coma! Do let us know what happens. You might need a visit from Tesla Mobile service. My car sometimes seems comatose but there's always the metallic clunk sound of the car connecting up the main battery---at least I think that's what's going on---and then all is well. Keep us posted.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow. This doesn't sound like deep sleep, it's more of a coma! Do let us know what happens. You might need a visit from Tesla Mobile service. My car sometimes seems comatose but there's always the metallic clunk sound of the car connecting up the main battery---at least I think that's what's going on---and then all is well. Keep us posted.
I did a follow up call with Tesla, seems the diagnostics team want a look at Middie.

Not sure when that happens on a holiday weekend, so expecting to hear something Tuesday.

Good thing I have another car, Middie isn't leaving the garage as she is. She won't turn on.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update:

Called Tesla support this morning.

They confirmed it's time to have Middie flat bedded back to the Saint Louis Service Center.

Got a call from the towing company, they were asking the right questions, like:
1. Is it parked in a garage? --Yes--
2. Which direction is the car facing? --Pulled into the garage, front of the car facing the garage wall--

They will be using tow jacks since:
1. Parked in the garage
2. Wrong end facing out for towing (rear)
3. No way to get the car into transport mode (blank screen, completely offline)

Needless to say, I've videoed the underside, sides, and wheels to document this car is without scratch or dent.

The service center was already notified via email that Middie will be sitting in the parking lot when service starts at 7am Tuesday.

Of course I'll provide plenty of details.

I'm still thinking it was the ABS patch that lead to this, BUT we don't know that.

Could have been a faulty e-prom that could only be programmed once before it failed.

OR.... maybe it's that 2013 GM Voltec charger I used in my garage seeking revenge!

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, we survived getting Middie on the flat bed.

Pictures attached to document how this is done correctly

IMG_20180528_081904.jpg IMG_20180528_082158.jpg IMG_20180528_082825.jpg IMG_20180528_082830.jpg MVIMG_20180528_082835.jpg

In hindsight, I wish I would have ignored the tow operator's assurance that "you don't have to remove the front aero covers". Oh well, if they're damaged, Tesla will replace.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got a call from Saint Louis Service Center (yes... all the service centers are open today on Memorial Day!)

Technicians are looking at Middie right now and I'll be getting updates as details warrant.

Man, Tesla customer service is steps above everyone else.

Looking forward to when Middie is too!

Last edited: