Deciding on Range - Current ICE owners

Country
Country
Thought I'd share a handy trick to help your personal decision on long range vs Short range.

Background:
I'm flip flopping between long range vs standard as I'm sure a lot of people are.
If you can afford it , the logic is its better to the long range as it will reduce stress, allow more flexibility..etc.
The contrarian argument is ponying up for the long range is essentially a upfront "range anxiety" tax

Enter google timeline.
https://www.google.com/maps/timeline

As an example, I took a overnight trip to Dublin -

297km up
- 30 minute food break at 93KM ( type 2 43kw present at lunch location)
- 109 km later, a 21 minute stop at an outlet mall ( 22 kw )
- 61 km later, 3 hour stop in IKEA (no chargers in Ireland ATM but likely coming)
- 40 km drive to hotel - On-Street Public chargers right outside.

Day 2
- 8km drive to destination for 3 hours.( https://powerscourt.com/ - a must for anyone road tripping Ireland in their 3)
[tesla destination charger in hotel but I suspect just for hotel guests not for the plebs looking around the garden :)]

- Straight Drive home (271 km)

Using abetterrouteplanner.com set to standard range model 3 & which just uses the supercharger :
12 minute charge on the way up (3 euro 42)
7 minutes charge at 2 euro 10 on the way down.

If you have timeline turned on , cycle back to your last big trip and you can see the actual difference for your own use case - I know now after checking a few random dates in timeline - the short range is more than enough for me!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Note: last I checked, A Better Routeplanner had very pessimistic presets for Model 3. I punched in the route and conditions Björn Nyland took on his test run in California and it predicted the vehicle would require 30% more energy than it actually consumed.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Note: last I checked, A Better Routeplanner had very pessimistic presets for Model 3. I punched in the route and conditions Björn Nyland took on his test run in California and it predicted the vehicle would require 30% more energy than it actually consumed.
One thing for sure, Bjørn seems to stop a heck of lot more than I’d care for (every 100-150 kms...). Yet he drives an X, he is often hauling heavy stuff and Norwegian temps don’t correspond to Florida weather... ;)

Yet, Karen, I think you are right, it is safe to expect ranges in a conservative way. If you are going to drive 400+ kms on a regular basis, I can’t imagine much less than LR range... or maybe something between SR and LR... ;)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drive 70-75 miles daily.

Standard battery is 220 miles less 10% penalty for my driving style is 198 miles and then charged daily to 85% is 168.3 miles.

Clearly I would technically make it without issue on 99.9% of my driving.

I went with long range for a few reasons:
  1. First production — I couldn’t wait anymore
  2. Full $7,500 credit
  3. More performance
  4. Faster supercharging
  5. No need to charge on days where I have to go further than normal
  6. Better road trip experience

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On average I put about 30-40 miles daily on my car. (I have around a 15 mile daily commute. I usually travel around 15 miles round trip for lunch daily.)

For the last two months, I’ve mainly used 115v standard outlet for charging and it has been more than enough for my needs. (I supercharged once to try it out, and once at my friends place who has a 220v NEMA, again just to try it out.)

My previous car was a 2006 Dodge Charger RT 5.7l (avg 12-14 mpg - I drive with a heavy foot.)

I went for a Long Range M3 as soon as it was available for the following reasons:

• Better performance
  • Guaranteed $7,500 credit
  • Planning to use for longer trips (LA <> Vegas, LA <> San Fran, LA <> San Diego)
  • Based on my weekly commute, I could avoid charging at home and use only Superchargers once a week, which is nice since I live 4 miles from a Tesla Store with 8 stations and work Down the street from a new 12 port Supercharger station that’s almost completed. (Trying to work out with our Building Services director to put in a 220v or Tesla destination Charger at the office.)
  • I had sold my Charger 6 mo ago and been driving a 2004 Sienna and wanted out!
  • And the most important reason - I’ve wanted a Tesla forever and couldn’t bear to wait any longer!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
who has ever looked at the gas tank size when shopping for an ICE vehicle?
Funny that I never did and that’s another ding against the worst car of all time (Mercedes CLA 250). The tank was small and I had to get gas too frequently. I hated it!!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny that I never did and that’s another ding against the worst car of all time (Mercedes CLA 250). The tank was small and I had to get gas too frequently. I hated it!!
to date, I've owned 3 cars with gas tanks...
the first had a 22gal tank (170 miles between fill-ups), the second a 16gal tank (260 miles) and the third a 13gal tank (235 miles). I can think of only two times their capacity/distances between fill-ups were of any stress, both purely from poor planning.
Maybe because I started out with the car that you could literally see the gas gauge needle move to the left when you laid on the gas, range has never been a big concern for me.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the first had a 22gal tank (170 miles between fill-ups), the second a 16gal tank (260 miles) and the third a 13gal tank (235 miles). I can think of only two times their capacity/distances between fill-ups were of any stress, both purely from poor planning.
Maybe because I started out with the car that you could literally see the gas gauge needle move to the left when you laid on the gas, range has never been a big concern for me.
I generally agree though I can tell you I’ve never had range anxiety in my Model 3 and did frequently have it in my ICE cars (due to poor planning).

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
who has ever looked at the gas tank size when shopping for an ICE vehicle?
I actually do and I've had cars that I loved because of the large gas tank and cars I've hated because of a small tank. Only really matters on road trips but in my younger years I'd drive 24 hours straight and only make quick stops for gas. My favorite road trip car was my 1982 280ZX, 31 gal gas tank and 30mpg. I made a 200 mile stretch in 2 hours and 10 min once! Worst road trip ever was NY to AZ in an Isuzu Rodeo while towing a trailer, 10 gal tank and 10mpg......Miserable!!

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I look at it this way, how much stress do you want to deal with on your average “worst case” time of the year? 310 miles depletes quick when you consider:

- Daily charging = 90% = now 270 miles
- Bottom end “reserve” (driving in on electro-fumes is not fun) = 10% = now 240 miles
- 10% penalty for driving style and/or bigger wheels = now 210 miles
- Cold weather penalty = 30% (could be worse depending on where you live) = now 147 miles

So on an “average” winter day, driving normally, your “useful” range is around 150 miles. That gives you an effective combat radius of about 70 miles from your home charging solution (assuming you have one). That 70 miles out, 10 miles of loitering on site at wherever you went, and 70 miles back. Anything more than that, and you have to start thinking, planning, turning stuff off, slowing down, eating into the reserve, checking SC status, basically stressing about driving. Now apply these considerations to the SR version. LR for me, thanks! Especially since I do a lot of out-and-backs within 60 miles of my home.

kaffine

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
the first had a 22gal tank (170 miles between fill-ups), .
That would give me range anxiety for my daily commute. Would have to fill up every morning. My daily commute is 85 miles each way so if I did anything other than going to work and back then I wouldn't make it without filling up twice.

I am annoyed with my car I can't make it the entire week without filling up. It would be great if my tank held another 2 gallons so I would be able to fill up Monday mornings and make it the week. If I had the option I would have put a larger fuel tank in it, it used to be an option on pickups. I have been doing math on my way home to decide if I could make it to town or if I was going to have to find a closer gas station.

That is one of the features I am going to like the most about having a Tesla is having a full battery every morning. I would be getting an even longer range version of the Model 3 if they offered one. Although 310 miles should be enough for most days I could run into issues if I get called back to work either on my way home or shortly after getting home thankfully there is a SC not that far out of my way.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I live in Texas. If you plan to leave town a bigger battery can always be used.

I know road trips to Cali that driving between Austin and Ft Stockton can be a nail biter even in my wife’s van that gets about 450 Miles out of a tank.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We decided early on to buy the biggest battery Tesla offered. Currently own a VW dieselgate and one of my favourite things about the car is the range. It would be tough enough to give up half of that highway range - especially since a lot of the places we like to go are away from major centres. A SR would work, but we’d have to stick to major highways rather than enjoying the fun way around. In our case it was well worth it, and I think it’s a safe bet we will recoup some of that difference in cost in resale.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The larger battery will also have shallower cycles. In my case the 65-95mi round trip I make most days will make for a much smaller fluctuation per cell on the LR than the SR, meaning less degradation if I decide to keep the car for a long time.