Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Decided to cancel

5K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  c2c 
#1 ·
Today I made the decision to cancel my Model 3 reservation. I was a day 2 reservation holder with a Jun - Aug first production estimate. I might have mentioned in a couple of other posts that my desired config was a base 3 with EAP as long as I could get it with the Full $7500 tax credit. That's not going to happen unfortunately. I did hem and haw and seriously considered buying a first production vehicle, but just couldn't convince myself to pull the trigger. For me, the value proposition just isn't there for the current config (not an issue of financial means because I could easily pay cash for it - just a personal opinion on value). Fortunately, I am not in need of a vehicle at the moment, so plan on watching the rollout and maybe picking one up in a few years (which will also provide time for the maturation of EAP and FSD which I am most certainly interested in). Good Luck to all those waiting (some will be that much closer after my cancellation!) and glad those new Model 3 owners are enjoying their cars!! Will continue to follow the forum to stay up to date with evolution of the Tesla revolution. Cheers!

#4 ·
I fully agree with the idea of holding off on cancelling - if OP has let it ride this long, it'd be prudent to let things sit for a few more months before taking action to get their money back. If nothing else, the next few months should provide a lot of clarity around things like the production ramp, production options, etc.

That said, the idea that a base configuration option appears before the full credit disappears seems somewhat unlikely. Between white seats and AWD, which we're supposed to see this summer, it's apparent Tesla is still understandably focused on the higher margin variants and this'll probably remain the case until near the end of this year. If the number of people deciding to wait and citing AWD, or performance or other configuration options bears out, that is.

Still, in the unlikely event that the credit gets extended, or base config arrives sooner than expected, or OP reconsiders and decides to get one in a year, keeping the reservation for the time being would keep their place in line, just in case. However, I understand their decision.

#3 ·
Yeah. Makes the most sense to keep the reservation until you are 100% sure, unless you need to use the $1000 right now. If cancel your reservation and invested that $1000 at an APY of 3% for 3 years you earn $93. Seems a small price to pay for your place in line.

#6 ·
If you are June-Aug, they you are most certainly going to get the full tax credit. My thinking is, at this point, even with the LR requirement (and the other options I would have bought already, PUP,EAP,Paint) in a year (or less), the car will be worth probably what I net paid for it, not including taxes of course - but maybe. So, whatever it takes for me to finance the purchase till then (about 300$ a year) I figure I can see if I like it, find out more about if electric can truly fit into our lifestyle, and pretty much get my money out in a year.

#11 ·
I understand completely. I reserved late day 4/1/16 and have a Jun-Aug window. I expect that to officially push out any day now (despite the ramp). I didn't cancel but I did pull the trigger on a CPO S today.

I'm keeping the Model 3 reservation for now just to see how things play out. I'm guessing I will get owner priority now but I'll be happy with Model S.

Glad to hear your sticking around and good luck on the path to electric.

#16 ·
From a shareholder point of view, if they were ready to hit 200k in April/May, they should ship those cars to Canada rather than cause Model 3 reservation holders who can't afford the vehicle without the credit to be forced to jump ship to a lesser EV or an ICE and thus not be in the potential Tesla buying pool for another 3-7 years.

Tesla demand is greater than current supply, but it's not limitless. If playing the country game works out well for Tesla.. then by all means. I likewise hope they're prioritizing Europe/China/Canada Model S deliveries over the US, since those count too.

Q3 and Q4 they can go all out on the US. EU spec production isn't supposed to start until Q1.

#21 ·
Tesla demand is greater than current supply, but it's not limitless. If playing the country game works out well for Tesla.. then by all means. I likewise hope they're prioritizing Europe/China/Canada Model S deliveries over the US, since those count too.

Q3 and Q4 they can go all out on the US. EU spec production isn't supposed to start until Q1.
My guess is they are stock pilling so they can get more US customers the rebate before the rebate halves. They didn't do this earlier most likely because they needed the cash for the previous quarter, so we lucked out and got our cars then in Canada. They are highly motivated to squeeze out as much profit as they can with all eyes on them in a stock market valued by how investors are 'feeling'.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make a new version that is higher than the base $35k but lower than LR+P such as SR+P or SR+DM, and only sell the base version if there is capacity left at the factory after those. Many people will choose that to get priority. I don't see anything wrong with this other than not telling us in advanced, so people lent $1k and perhaps postponed purchasing a non-Tesla thinking they had a place in line for any version treated equal. Would be interesting to know what the plan was all along or if they changed it on the fly.

#18 ·
Cancelled my Model 3 order today. I was stretched to purchase but the $14,000 EV rebate cancellation did me in. Not giving up: just stepping back and hope the Federal Government (not holding my breath) will step up with some sort of rebate.

#23 ·
Interesting! That was the combo I had hoped to get originally with AWD on the fence, but to get it sooner and to get the Ontario rebate I went with the LR. I'm glad I did now though as real-world range is much less at 125km/h highway and I haven't even seen the winter battery performance changes yet.

You can't blame Tesla for taking the path of highest profits, it's the definition of the fiduciary responsibility to the corporation share holders. Definition of a publicly traded corp. It's too bad they are public though, Elon probably would be doing Model Y on the new all high voltage platform and just eating the initial losses.

#29 · (Edited)
I reserved around the same time as you, a day earlier, had mine delivered months ago - much quicker than I expected. If you want a Model 3 fast, select the long range version, with premium interior, and EAP. (Recently Tesla changed their website, making premium interior included automatically.) Basically, the more money you spend, the higher priority Tesla gives you. Everyone who ordered the 35K base model might get their delivery in 2020.

You said you have the cash, so if you reordered with the right options, you'd probably get your delivery within 1-3 months. Despite waiting longer than me, your Model 3 will have less defects and have some improvements (I remember Elon mentioning he made the back seats more comfortable).

Or head down to eBay and get one today.

#38 ·
To cancel or not to cancel: What if Tesla decided to make one size fit all, to keep the assembly line simple?

the difference between LR, AWD, and LR AWD Performance is the allegedly better specs on the drivetrain components, and some software. If they made too many Performance, they could de-rate that car to an LR AWD.
By the same token, an LR RWD with PUP, and an SR RWD with PUP (gotta have memory seats, after all), means the factory pops out zillions of the same thing, then let the Delivery Center load the right software version. The software likely got a new release in the 2 weeks of transit, in any event. Using a larger battery in a smaller size (as was done with some of the S versions) improves the long term performance (much less capacity loss over time due to no overcharging, so fewer warranty returns). And the more cells they make, the cheaper the cells become.

The Performance add-ons (20" wheels, silly spoiler, etc.) could be added at the delivery center.

The white interior would be tough to retrofit, as would the glass vs steel roof. But the battery could be software limited.

My point is that SR folks might not be exiled to 2020, or what feels like 2020. There could be a sizable 4Q SR deliveries.

I personally got hammered when delivery windows were over-promised, then under-promised. 1st reservation was 6 months late, & 2nd reservation was 6 months early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.