Decided on a Bolt!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mark C

Country
Country
Recently, I've been seriously considering going with a first production Model 3 in order to take advantage of the full $7500 tax credit. Then I thought how ridiculous it was for me to pay that much for a car {not based on the car's value, but based on my financial situation}. The question isn't, "Can I pay for it?" rather, "Does it make sense to buy this expensive a car?" I decided it was not worth it to me and, with the likely greatly reduced tax credit on the SR car, it wasn't either.

I've been watching the reasonably local Chevrolet Dealers in my area for a Bolt at a good price and Saturday I found a new 2017 Bolt Premiere with DCFC at a good price. I'm no longer a Prius owner, but a Bolt owner. I cancelled my reservation this morning.

I wish all of you the best and truly hope the Model 3 is the game changer we all hope it is.

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Recently, I've been seriously considering going with a first production Model 3 in order to take advantage of the full $7500 tax credit. Then I thought how ridiculous it was for me to pay that much for a car {not based on the car's value, but based on my financial situation}. The question isn't, "Can I pay for it?" rather, "Does it make sense to buy this expensive a car?" I decided it was not worth it to me and, with the likely greatly reduced tax credit on the SR car, it wasn't either.

I've been watching the reasonably local Chevrolet Dealers in my area for a Bolt at a good price and Saturday I found a new 2017 Bolt Premiere with DCFC at a good price. I'm no longer a Prius owner, but a Bolt owner. I cancelled my reservation this morning.

I wish all of you the best and truly hope the Model 3 is the game changer we all hope it is.
Good call making what sounds like the right decision for you. The Bolt sounds like a great car, hope you love it!

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I hope it is a great car for you, would love to hear how it does and how you like it. Even though this is the model 3 forum, the whole mission of Tesla is to move us all toward sustainable energy, so getting reliable reports back on the other vehicles out there is definitely of interest! (can't recall if there is a non-tesla forum on here? will have to go look)

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Would you mind sharing what a good price for a Bolt is? I'm holding onto my 3 reservation a little longer, but it's looking like I will need a car before the SR is available. The Bolt is on my list of cars I'm considering, I test drove it last fall and it was fun to drive :)

The Bolt sticker price seems high to me, at least compared to what is available in a similarly priced ICE. I'm curious to hear what you can get a Bolt for - maybe that will move it up in my list. Thanks!

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Chevy actually makes good EVs. I was impressed with my Volt (1st gen). I personally don’t like the look of the Bolt. Plus, DCFC isn’t prevalent enough for my tastes. (Heck, I’m not even satisfied with the state of the superchargers planned for end of 2018). I really like the look of the 3.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I optioned a Chevy Bolt to my liking at $44K and decided to get a used Mode S P85 at $49K. I was then bumped up for Model 3 and I am awaiting delivery. I’m severely impatient and I would have totally cancelled the reservation if not for a $3500 deposit loss. I would have still ended with an AP equipped Model S.

Enjoy the Bolt!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Congrats on your new car!

The beauty of our free economy is that competition makes it cheaper and better for all of us consumers. I think I saw some crazy deals for new BMW i3s @ around $25k after discounts in my area. A lot of that is because people are waiting for the Model 3s but for people who don't want to wait or need a car right away or MUST drive a German car or whatever, you can pick up some GREAT deals now. Soon, Chevy, Nissan, BMW, and all of the other manufacturers will come out with improvements and then Tesla will come out with improvements and that's how the public always wins.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yep - starting late 2019 it's going to be a hell of an exciting time for evs!
It already is...

As for the Bolt EV... it's a nice car... and I was recommending that to my mom, instead of a Model 3... however, after test driving the new Leaf, and the increased range of future Leafs, I'm now recommending the new Leaf to my mom... (a current Leaf driver)

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Congrats on the new car! Glad you found it and hope you are loving it! Maybe you can post your thoughts about the car here after a few days/weeks? I bet there are others who are on the fence between the two cars (Bolt and Model 3) and wouldn't mind the opinion of an owner. :)

Mark C

Country
Country
Would you mind sharing what a good price for a Bolt is? I'm holding onto my 3 reservation a little longer, but it's looking like I will need a car before the SR is available. The Bolt is on my list of cars I'm considering, I test drove it last fall and it was fun to drive :)

The Bolt sticker price seems high to me, at least compared to what is available in a similarly priced ICE. I'm curious to hear what you can get a Bolt for - maybe that will move it up in my list. Thanks!
It is a 2017 Premiere, w/DCFC, the Tech & Nav Pkg, Bose and stickered at over $43k. I got it for just over $35k out the door, tax, title, etc included.

To be fair, it's not nearly as attractive as a Model 3, but it is a nice driving and quick little car. With my down payment and Prius trade, I owe less than $8k on it and will get the full $7500 tax credit after I roll my Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA.

Mark C

Country
Country
+1.

(Looking at Cars.com listings around Chicago, there are a few new "Premier" Bolts listed ~$7k below MSRP. The cheapest "Premier" with DCFC is listed at $37k.)
Most area dealers don't sell the Bolt or Volt in my area, so there is little competition in my neck of the woods. I'm enjoying the incredible smoothness and quiet of the Bolt.

Last edited:

Mark C

Country
Country
I wanted to be sure and post this, if I forgot evrything else, so here it is. I cancelled my reservation on Monday 3/12/18 at about 7:00 am CST. The $1k deposit posted to my bank account on Tuesday, 3/13/18. There was the option to return the money to a credit card or bank account, and I chose the bank account because it was convenient for me and I knew Tesla would have to pay a small CC fee to put it back on a CC.

I am still a Tesla fan, that didn't change. At some point in the future, I hope to see Tesla able to sell in all 50 states and shame the rest of the industry into making desirable electric cars and trucks at a reasonable price point. I firmly believe that, if not for Tesla, the change to an EV future would be a far, far slower process.

Artdept

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I thought the title of the post was click bait ( i'm a sucker for those Buzz feed headlines), then when I read the first post I thought it was a joke, after reading the replies, I realized the jokes on me. ( good thing I am used to being made fun of)

Grashelm

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I thought the title of the post was click bait ( i'm a sucker for those Buzz feed headlines), then when I read the first post I thought it was a joke, after reading the replies, I realized the jokes on me. ( good thing I am used to being made fun of)
And it's over a year old!