Daytime Running Lights vs. Signature Lights

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always assumed that the daytime running light that is always on was also the "signature light" of the Model 3. But there are separate LED strips that outline the DRLs above the headlights that are apparently the signature lights. The first time I realized they were two separate lights was while seeing them reflecting off of a truck at a red light during the daytime. The thin signature LED strip was very obvious in the reflection, but the DRL was less noticeable. However, if you look at a Model 3 from the outside, the signature strip is harder to distinguish from the DRL.

Take a look at the two notes in this section of the manual below (p. 45 - Controlling Lights). They confirm that only the premium package will have the signature strip; looks like the non-premium package will only have the DRL. Would you prefer to have an option to turn off the bulky DRL so that only the underlining LED strip is on during the daytime?

Manual - Controlling Lights
Exterior lights (headlights, tail lights, side marker lights, parking lights, and license plate lights) are set to AUTO each time you start Model 3. When set to AUTO, exterior lights automatically turn on when driving in low lighting conditions. If you change to a different setting, lights always revert to AUTO on your next drive. Touch one of these options to temporarily change the exterior light setting:

• OFF - Exterior lights turn off until you manually turn them back on or until the next time you drive. If daytime running lights are required in your region, the exterior lights used for this purpose are always on when Drive gear is engaged.

• PARKING - Only the side marker lights, parking lights, tail lights and license plate lights turn on.

Note: If daytime running lights are required in your region, the exterior lights used for this purpose are always on whenever a driving gear (Drive or Reverse) is engaged.

• ON - Exterior lights turn on.

Note: If equipped with the premium package, Model 3 has a series of LED lights along the rim of the headlights, also
referred to as "signature" lights. These lights automatically turn on whenever Model 3 is powered on and a driving gear
is engaged.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
DRLs are required in Canada (and other places), but not in the US
This is true, so what has Tesla done, are the 3's DRL's enabled in the US or disabled? They aren't required, but yet many manufactures still enable them, GM does for the most part and Ford does not.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is true, so what has Tesla done, are the 3's DRL's enabled in the US or disabled? They aren't required, but yet many manufactures still enable them, GM does for the most part and Ford does not.
I don't believe they will be using the primary headlights as DRLs in the places that require it. I think the eyelids are meant to be the DRLs, in which case they are always enabled. We'll have to get a Canadian owner to confirm, but I doubt Tesla actually distinguishes the "if DRLs are required in your area". I'm betting they just leave them all on by default.

I'm assuming the standard package 3 will also have the eyelid DRL, but according to the manual it will not have the LED signature light strip underneath the DRL. But you can't really tell the two apart without looking closely or looking in the reflection of another car.

Dinozero

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I am really anal about headlights. Since you have shown the picture I think you are correct. I wish they would give a way to enable just the signature lighting and not anything else.

This also frustrates me on certain GMC trucks. They have "signature LED" lighting but you can't ever have it on without the headlight/DRL on at the same time so you don't see the signature lighting much.

In the GMC case it was because the signature lighting was not BRIGHT ENOUGH to meet the federal requirements to count as able to be on by it's self. I wonder if the same happened here?

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am really anal about headlights. Since you have shown the picture I think you are correct. I wish they would give a way to enable just the signature lighting and not anything else.

This also frustrates me on certain GMC trucks. They have "signature LED" lighting but you can't ever have it on without the headlight/DRL on at the same time so you don't see the signature lighting much.

In the GMC case it was because the signature lighting was not BRIGHT ENOUGH to meet the federal requirements to count as able to be on by it's self. I wonder if the same happened here?
Yeah, I wish we had the option to turn off the top DRL portion and leave the LED strip on.

And I can confirm now that the signature LED strip and the DRL are separate lights:
a) My passenger side signature strip stopped working the other day, but the DRL still lights up. The way I noticed it was via the reflection (or lack thereof) on the back of another car like the picture I posted above.
b) Tesla service center described the lights the same way as I do when I called them about it, so it was easy to get on the same page with them about what the issue was.

Dinozero

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Someone on Reddit has said that if you turn all lights "off" the Signature lights will remain on. Can anyone confirm?

Maybe Elon or someone thinks the Signature lights alone look like "small" or "weak" and they made it so the Signature and DRL are always on together to make it look more pronounced.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I wish we had the option to turn off the top DRL portion and leave the LED strip on.

And I can confirm now that the signature LED strip and the DRL are separate lights:
a) My passenger side signature strip stopped working the other day, but the DRL still lights up. The way I noticed it was via the reflection (or lack thereof) on the back of another car like the picture I posted above.
b) Tesla service center described the lights the same way as I do when I called them about it, so it was easy to get on the same page with them about what the issue was.
Someone on Reddit has said that if you turn all lights "off" the Signature lights will remain on. Can anyone confirm?

Maybe Elon or someone thinks the Signature lights alone look like "small" or "weak" and they made it so the Signature and DRL are always on together to make it look more pronounced.
The lights are named in the manual and their operation is described there.

From the manual, always subject to change:

Exterior lights (headlights, tail lights, side marker lights, parking lights, and license plate lights) are set to AUTO each time you start Model 3. When set to AUTO, exterior lights automatically turn on when driving in low lighting conditions. If you change to a different setting, lights always revert to AUTO on your next drive. Touch one of these options to temporarily change the exterior light setting: • OFF - Exterior lights turn off until you manually turn them back on or until the next time you drive. If daytime running lights are required in your region, the exterior lights used for this purpose are always on when Drive gear is engaged. • PARKING - Only the side marker lights, parking lights, tail lights and license plate lights turn on. Note: If daytime running lights are required in your region, the exterior lights used for this purpose are always on whenever a driving gear (Drive or Reverse) is engaged.
• ON - Exterior lights turn on. Note: If equipped with the premium package, Model 3 has a series of LED lights along the rim of the headlights, also referred to as "signature" lights. These lights automatically turn on whenever Model 3 is powered on and a driving gear is engaged. Warning: Always ensure that your headlights are on during low visibility conditions. Failure to do so may result in a collision. 2. If equipped with the premium package, a separate control is available to turn on fog lights. When on, fog lights operate whenever low beam headlights are on.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The lights are named in the manual and their operation is described there.

From the manual, always subject to change:

Exterior lights (headlights, tail lights, side marker lights, parking lights, and license plate lights) are set to AUTO each time you start Model 3. When set to AUTO, exterior lights automatically turn on when driving in low lighting conditions. If you change to a different setting, lights always revert to AUTO on your next drive. Touch one of these options to temporarily change the exterior light setting: • OFF - Exterior lights turn off until you manually turn them back on or until the next time you drive. If daytime running lights are required in your region, the exterior lights used for this purpose are always on when Drive gear is engaged. • PARKING - Only the side marker lights, parking lights, tail lights and license plate lights turn on. Note: If daytime running lights are required in your region, the exterior lights used for this purpose are always on whenever a driving gear (Drive or Reverse) is engaged.
• ON - Exterior lights turn on. Note: If equipped with the premium package, Model 3 has a series of LED lights along the rim of the headlights, also referred to as "signature" lights. These lights automatically turn on whenever Model 3 is powered on and a driving gear is engaged. Warning: Always ensure that your headlights are on during low visibility conditions. Failure to do so may result in a collision. 2. If equipped with the premium package, a separate control is available to turn on fog lights. When on, fog lights operate whenever low beam headlights are on.

Is there a way to turn both off? Not a big fan of DR's.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t think so. Tesla has made the lights just as integrated and automated as the rest of the car. Not much control.
Does anyone know how to access the headlight pod, I would just like to unplug the DRL's and Signature lights. I find it horribly annoying to have to turn them off every time I get in the car, I want to just get in and drive.