Date format discussion

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
7/8? You mean August 7th, as in Wednesday? Awesome and E N J O Y your car.
I have to stop and think about it as well, remember the date formats, as much as I like and am used to Month first, I guess the US is in the minority across the world, most have day, then month.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to stop and think about it as well, remember the date formats, as much as I like and am used to Month first, I guess the US is in the minority across the world, most have day, then month.
The ONLY correct format and order is YYYY-MM-DD.
Anything else is silly.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

styleruk

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
RE; date format...
Can someone tell Tesla then (an American company), that I should get my Model 3 last month please. It's been a very, very long wait, I'm happy to jump in my time machine and collect it in July 2019, as soon as I pick it up from the menders as I broke it next week!

styleruk

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
this headline really explains a lot about Canada ;) (like how someone can give directions that include both Km and feet in the same breath).
Alas, being an engineer, I find it most irritating when people tell me they have a 9.8" screen on their tablet. We're all guilty, in the UK, we sell Litres of fuel and quote MPG! The mental math helps on long journeys though. Since I've been driving EVs though, I've been working out 13p per unit and how many miles per kWh etc... My smart EV was about 4mpkWh, model 3 is around 250Wpm. (see how I steered that back to the model 3)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think this thread contains way too much math.

Also, code all your dates better! There is zero confusion when you display it as "Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:47 pm". Except timezones, maybe, but that's only 3 more letters: "Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:47 pm EDT".

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
at work, things archived (or various current types of files saved) use YYYY-MM-DD so things are sortable by date. and the guy that ends up naming a file YY-MM-DD or MM-DD-YY(YY) is going to get blasted for screwing up the order.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When all scientists and all of China agree with someone, that person is NOT in the minority. ;)
I agree with you, majority doesn't make it right;). Take tires for example with the wheel diameter in inches and width in millimeter. ..
As for Canada we are making our way to the metric system one generation at time, almost nobody uses farh^#%^*eit anymore, liter is used at large, the kilometer too but we still have a lot to cover in the construction industry as for length measuring.
The date format came up at work too, delivering aircrafts to customers around the word having different requirements, we ended up using @JasonF format suggestion and have been using it since.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is zero confusion when you display it as "Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:47 pm".
Except for people who don't know English.

ISO 8601 is the One True Date/Time format!
Repent, all those who have not yet converted!

Man, I figured it would be just the Americans arguing against it, not the Canadians too. :p;)

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Except for people who don't know English.
That doesn't matter, the point is it's 100% unambiguous.

You will never get a 100% readable date by everyone on Earth. There are multiple calendar types, and some don't even track the year, or don't track it the same way as the Western calendar does. Even the math-oriented Unix Timestamp is based on a Western calendar. So you're out of luck until someone figures out just how old the Sun is!

styleruk

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I agree with you, majority doesn't make it right;). Take tires for example with the wheel diameter in inches and width in millimeter. ..
As for Canada we are making our way to the metric system one generation at time, almost nobody uses farh^#%^*eit anymore, liter is used at large, the kilometer too but we still have a lot to cover in the construction industry as for length measuring.
The date format came up at work too, delivering aircrafts to customers around the word having different requirements, we ended up using @JasonF format suggestion and have been using it since.
I like this...
http://wiki.c2.com/?WhimsicalUnitsOfMeasurement

For volume, I prefer...
Barn Hubble: 1bH = about a liter. An object one barn in cross-section would have to travel a thousand million light-years before it traced out one liter of volume.

That makes as much sense as a football pitch to me :)