Dashcam video script

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

japhule

Country
Country
Suggestions
Code:
1. Normal - 4 Quadrants at 1280x960 (4:3)

[    front     ][  rear_view  ]

[left_repeater][right_repeater]

2. Diamond at 16:9 (1280x720 or 1920x1080)

--------------

|   [front]   |

[left_repeater]--------------[right_repeater]

| [rear_view] |
               --------------

ehendrix23

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Diamond view as proposed would thus have a black portion in the middle between the left and right repeaters. Do you all prefer that or would you prefer:

Code:
               --------------
               |   [front]   |
       [left_repeater][right_repeater]
               | [rear_view] |
               --------------

Right now to incorporate the rear camera I'm doing:

WIDESCREEN (thus front camera is bigger on top with side and rear smaller below it):
Code:
[                 front                  ]
[left_repeater][rear_view][right_repeater]
FULLSCREEN (front camera centered on top, all 4 same size):
Code:
                 [front]                  
[left_repeater][rear_view][right_repeater]
Going to see to get rid of perspective (where the side ones are in this kind of diagonal view) and instead make it an option for each layout.

Last edited:

r-e-l

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Was hoping the renewed thread will be about something else ….

now that the new browser can support video, was wondering if there is a chance to host this script on a website, have it read the files directly from the USB in the car and finally allow us to reviewd the videos in the car .....

possible?

ehendrix23

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

now that the new browser can support video, was wondering if there is a chance to host this script on a website, have it read the files directly from the USB in the car and finally allow us to reviewd the videos in the car .....

possible?
That would mean that web site would need to be developed to allow access to local files on the car. For that one would need to know exact path within the car the files are located (in other words where is the USB drive mounted on. Like which drive letter if it were Windows, as it runs Linux it is mount point). I have not heard or seen anyone being able to state so.
Further, then the browser would need to allow local access from a web site. Doubtful Tesla would allow this as it can comprise security of the car. Just on PCs etc. browsers have been blocking this and only allowing it by opening a dialog box to specify the files to be provided.
I would more see Tesla then providing a method to view it on the screen then supporting something like that resulting in potential headlines about a Tesla car being hacked into.

ehendrix23

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In celebration of Tesla just announcing the release of V10, there is also a new release off tesla_dashcam with support for the rear camera, 2 new layouts (CROSS and DIAMOND), ability to exclude cameras, restrict based on timestamps, provide folder offsets, fast-forward through video that has no motion (excellent for Sentry videos), and more.

Release v0.1.14

Fixed:

- Merge of videos fails when a relative path instead of an absolute path is provided for --output Issue #62
- Issue during processing of metadata if files were missing
- Hidden files (files starting with period) on Mac/Linux were not ignored. This could cause issues as some programs might create these files when viewing the video.
- Checking if font path exist in Windows failed.

New:

- Support for rear camera (introduced in V10). This also results in layouts having been modified to allow inclusion of rear camera. Issue #71
- Support for hardware encoding for systems with supported Intel GPUs.
- Support for hardware encoding on Raspberry Pi (RPi) (H.264 only) Issue #66
- Layout CROSS with front camera top centered, side camera underneath it, and rear camera then underneath side cameras centered.
- Layout DIAMOND with front camera top centered, rear camera under front and side camera centered at the left and right of front&rear.
- Option --motion_only to fast-forward through the portions in the video that does not have anything motion (done through removal of duplicate frames).
- Option --skip_existing to skip creation of video files that already exist. Existence only is checked, not if layout etc are the same.
- Option --perspective for showing side cameras to be displayed in perspective mode irrespective of layout. Layout PERSPECTIVE is thus same as layout FULLSCREEN with --perspective option.
- Options --start_offset and --end_offset can be used to provide starting and ending offset in seconds for resulting video (at folder level).
- Options --start_timestamp and --end_timestamp can be used to restrict resulting video (and processing) to specific timestamps. This can be used in combination with --start_offset and/or --end_offset
- Options --no-front, --no-left, --no-right, and --no-rear to exclude camera(s) from the videos
- Option --gpu_type to provide GPU installed in the system for Windows/Linux. Current supported options are nvidia, intel, and RPi.
- Option --no-faststart for not setting the faststart flag in the video files as doing this can result in encoding failures on network shares Issue #62
- Option --temp_dir to provide a different path to store the temporary video files that are created Issue #67
- Description metadata to include video was created by tesla_dashcam with version number.

Changed:

- WIDESCREEN layout will now by default show the front camera on top with higher resolution compared to others due to incorporation of rear camera
- Include folder SentryClips in default source list if no source provided (SavedClips was already default).
- Check to ensure that Python version is at required level or higher (currently 3.7).
- Existence of font file (provided or default) will be checked and error returned if not existing.
- Existence of ffmpeg will be checked and error returned if not existing.
- If no filename provided for merged video then current date/time will be used for filename.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

possible?
What you wish for already exists, and it works very well!

https://sentrycam.appspot.com

Edit: sorry, this is for running on your computer...still no way to do this from within the car.

JML

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That would mean that web site would need to be developed to allow access to local files on the car. For that one would need to know exact path within the car the files are located (in other words where is the USB drive mounted on. Like which drive letter if it were Windows, as it runs Linux it is mount point). I have not heard or seen anyone being able to state so.
Further, then the browser would need to allow local access from a web site. Doubtful Tesla would allow this as it can comprise security of the car. Just on PCs etc. browsers have been blocking this and only allowing it by opening a dialog box to specify the files to be provided.
I would more see Tesla then providing a method to view it on the screen then supporting something like that resulting in potential headlines about a Tesla car being hacked into.
From my playing with the browser a bit when it came out, urls of the form file:/// are not allowed. So as is, there's no way to open local files with the browser.

ehendrix23

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Release v0.1.15 is available now with the fix for rear camera filename (seems Tesla changed it last minute or so) and few other items.

Fixed:

- Rear view camera filename was changed from -rear_view to -back in TeslaCam folders. Issue #78
- Missing python-dateutil package when installing from PIP Issue #77
- Missing fonts in Docker Image (thanks to moorecp for providing fix)
- Only the 1st source was processed When using MONITOR or MONITOR_ONCE, or with V10 only SavedClips was processed when not providing a source

Changed:

- Reduced sensitivity for motion detection
- Minor improvement for font path checking, mainly message provided.

Kermit

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Amazing software! Question - I was hoping to speed up my video a little bit with "--speedup 1.4" but got the error "invalid int value" ... any chance this could be made a float? 2x is comically quick and 1x is a little boring. ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Amazing software! Question - I was hoping to speed up my video a little bit with "--speedup 1.4" but got the error "invalid int value" ... any chance this could be made a float? 2x is comically quick and 1x is a little boring. ;)
and I think x5 isnt quick enough, but x10 is too quick ;)

sduck

Country
Country
Depending on what you're using to play back the files with, you can do this there. I use quicktime on my mac, and if you click the little forward arrow, it speeds up 2x, 5x, 10x, 30x. I'm sure there are similar features in whatever you're using.

Kermit

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Depending on what you're using to play back the files with, you can do this there. I use quicktime on my mac, and if you click the little forward arrow, it speeds up 2x, 5x, 10x, 30x. I'm sure there are similar features in whatever you're using.
I know clients can speed up playback. 🤣

ehendrix23

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Try with the new --motion_only; that way it will go skip anything where there is no motion (or very little motion).