Dashcam Install Warnings

Ranova

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To put it politely, your explanation is incorrect. That's just not how physics works.
My very old anker bank did allow simultaneous charging of the bank and product. However, many have said that anker and other companies have then removed this feature it was because of issues people were having and the stress it puts on the battery (added heat from the other components). So when jwardell stated to just buy one with pass through, its easier said than done. Another person in this thread bought one advertising passthrough in amazon and said it didn’t work. It was not my explanation, it was from a user in a large thread about dash cam batteries.

My point was to be careful when buying unknown Chinese battery banks - they either falsely advertise it or don’t do the appropriate testing in extreme conditions. You guys just bought a 60k+ car, spend the time or money doing your research instead of blindly following the advise of forum users and end up buying some crappy lithium ion bank that may have pass through but later causes issues

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I certainly agree with avoiding purchase of any questionable Chinese products that concentrate energy storage in flammable materials that will live in a very hot and very cold environment, the problem is where to draw that line, as pretty much EVERY battery pack is from China, reputable or not.

OK, no better time then now to run a test on my packs:

(old) Zerolemon 3100mAh slim pack: NO
Anker PowerCore Slim 5000: NO
Anker 79AN7917 10000mAh: NO
Ravpower Super-C 26800mAh with USB-C PD: YES

....like I said, more likely a feature of the higher powered/higher featured packs.
Curious to try on some smaller USB-C PD packs since they require lots of intelligence anyway.

The other three packs all disabled output when given charge voltage.

Last edited:

Ranova

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I certainly agree with purchasing any questionable Chinese products that concentrate energy storage in flammable materials that will live in a very hot and very cold environment, the problem is where to draw that line, as pretty much EVERY battery pack is from China, reputable or not.

OK, no better time then now to run a test on my packs:

(old) Zerolemon 3100mAh slim pack: NO
Anker PowerCore Slim 5000: NO
Anker 79AN7917 10000mAh: NO
Ravpower Super-C 26800mAh with USB-C PD: YES

....like I said, more likely a feature of the higher powered/higher featured packs.
Curious to try on some smaller USB-C PD packs since they require lots of intelligence anyway.

The other three packs all disabled output when given charge voltage.
Interesting find on the USB-C PD, I just tested my rav power 20k mAh without USB PD and it would charge my phone while being charged ONLY if I was charging the battery bank via micro USB and the phone with a usb-c to c cable. Did not work when I tried charging my phone via the Quickcharge 2.0 port and the bank by USB C

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting find on the USB-C PD, I just tested my rav power 20k mAh without USB PD and it would charge my phone while being charged ONLY if I was charging the battery bank via micro USB and the phone with a usb-c to c cable. Did not work when I tried charging my phone via the Quickcharge 2.0 port and the bank by USB C
I used the standard USB-A output and it worked. The USB-C port is both for input and output on this pack so I figured I wouldn't use that.

Ferd Ball

Country
Country
Hmm... exactly one month since the last post in this thread. Is that considered resurrecting an old thread?

So, I have the dreaded "Replace 12V battery soon" message. I have the Blackvue 720s and the Power Magic Pro, wired directly to the 12V battery. I also have a Uniden R3 which was wired to the battery, but I have since moved that to the CLA.

Options:
1) Have Tesla troubleshoot the battery. Replace it and reset the warning.
2) Buy the battery replacement myself and replace it myself.
2a) What is a good replacement battery?
2b) Can I reset the message just by disconnecting the terminals?

How do I prevent this battery failure in the future?

Country
Country
Hmm... exactly one month since the last post in this thread. Is that considered resurrecting an old thread?

So, I have the dreaded "Replace 12V battery soon" message. I have the Blackvue 720s and the Power Magic Pro, wired directly to the 12V battery. I also have a Uniden R3 which was wired to the battery, but I have since moved that to the CLA.

Options:

Tesla service will tell you that you cannot have anything wired to the 12V battery. They may replace the battery for you but will not reconnect the Blackvue wire to the battery. I am not sure if replacing the battery will reset the battery message. That may need to be done by service.
I bought the Blackvue Power Magic Ultra Battery B-124 and had it installed under the center console forward near the frunk and had it wired to the 12V accessory circuit but not plugged into the 12V accessory plug.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Options:

Do you know for sure that anything is wrong with your 12v battery and it needs replacement? I would be surprised.
Chances are the errors are triggered by the unexpected load and maybe Tesla can just reset them.

Ferd Ball

Country
Country
Tesla service will tell you that you cannot have anything wired to the 12V battery. They may replace the battery for you but will not reconnect the Blackvue wire to the battery. I am not sure if replacing the battery will reset the battery message. That may need to be done by service.
I bought the Blackvue Power Magic Ultra Battery B-124 and had it installed under the center console forward near the frunk and had it wired to the 12V accessory circuit but not plugged into the 12V accessory plug.
So, adding a $300 battery is one solution? Maybe I'll power it from the CLA and give up parking mode.

Do you know for sure that anything is wrong with your 12v battery and it needs replacement? I would be surprised.
Chances are the errors are triggered by the unexpected load and maybe Tesla can just reset them.
No, I don't know. How would I find out? Contact the SC?