dashcam conversations

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
thought I'd post a clip from my dashcam and a drive last night
(this is not Blackvue, but an inexpensive single camera I have installed in my current car)

also a good use case for the Apple Watch, as I can see my heart rate went from around 75 up to 123 at that moment :eek:

side note, while most people think it rains like this in Portland all the time, it doesn't. It normally drizzles a straight 6 months but rarely do we have any significant rainfall like this. (unless you are considering moving here, then keep in mind it is like this 365 ;) )
Whoa...that was a rough couple of seconds. Your Tesla wipers would have hopefully kicked into high gear at that moment. My Lexus rain-sensing wipers are very quick to respond and I’m hoping for the same from my M3.

Country
Country
Regarding the item mentioned in this post:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-owners-club-dashcam-group-buy.4861/page-11#post-45149

I bought one of these so I could quickly get my 750s up and running as quickly as possible in my Jeep (where the fuse panel is located in the engine compartment). Been using it for a few weeks with no real issues until this morning when I went to start the car only to find the battery was dead.

I had the device configured for Parking Mode (rather than Acc mode, which turns the camera off when the car is shut down), and apparently the feature to automatically power-off when the car's battery reached a certain level didn't work as expected. Admittedly, I haven't been driving my car on a daily basis, so w/o a doubt, it was probably draining the battery faster than it could be recharged, but I thought that this device was supposed to prevent the battery from getting drained so low it couldn't start the car.

Maybe I received a defective item, but since I did buy the Power Magic Pro box when I bought my camera, I now have a reason to invest the extra effort required to run the connection through the firewall and into the engine compartment.

Matthias Fritz

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Regarding the item mentioned in this post:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-owners-club-dashcam-group-buy.4861/page-11#post-45149

I bought one of these so I could quickly get my 750s up and running as quickly as possible in my Jeep (where the fuse panel is located in the engine compartment). Been using it for a few weeks with no real issues until this morning when I went to start the car only to find the battery was dead.

I had the device configured for Parking Mode (rather than Acc mode, which turns the camera off when the car is shut down), and apparently the feature to automatically power-off when the car's battery reached a certain level didn't work as expected. Admittedly, I haven't been driving my car on a daily basis, so w/o a doubt, it was probably draining the battery faster than it could be recharged, but I thought that this device was supposed to prevent the battery from getting drained so low it couldn't start the car.

Maybe I received a defective item, but since I did buy the Power Magic Pro box when I bought my camera, I now have a reason to invest the extra effort required to run the connection through the firewall and into the engine compartment.
oh pity. im using the PMP and until now the battery was not drained too much. even when the BlackVue 750s was no longer recording. seems a typical car battery only lasts ~2days until the dashcam shuts down.

Country
Country
After switching the device to ACC mode (so the camera would only be on when the car is running), I found that it was still draining the battery, though maybe a bit more slowly. That's because even after the battery recharged enough to start the car, after a few hours in my driveway (while the device in ACC mode), when I got back into my car it wouldn't start again. After unplugging the device, I haven't had any more issues. Looks like I'll need to setup the PMP device ASAP.

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, just wanted to start another quick discussion on the Blackvue dashcams as we had been discussion in one of the group buy threads that is now closed.

Quick update on my install. I finally did get my cam installed in my Model 3. I ended up using the overhead hazard / dome light to wire in for power, similar to what @ummgood & @BigBri did over in that thread.
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-owners-club-dashcam-group-buy.9254/post-178756
FYI, I ended up using the MirrorTap cord to hook up to power instead of the through wire taps. If you go this route, make sure to get the 20" one as the 15" one isn't long enough to go to the dome light. If you go through their system, they recommend the 15" ones as I believe they are assuming you are connecting to the dimmable mirror wires. I had to use the smallest taps and file the end a little to make it a little sharper to slot in, the connector was so tight.
Amazon product
I assumed not hearing back all had been working good for both of them. Everything does seem to be working well with the system for me as well, but I do notice there is some battery drain, but I am running both the in car dash cam with sentry mode, and the Blackvue DR900S. I have my car on timed charging, so I think after it finishes charging, usually by 10pm at the latest, it then doesn't charge after that. So in the morning, it seems I'm down 3 to 4% after about 9 hours +/-. Like I said, that is with both sentry / built in dashcam running and the stand alone dash cam on parking mode. Just really haven't played with it much though.

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I actually just completed the install not quite 2 months ago (7/27/2019), and on Thursday (9/19/2019), my camera started telling me to "Check SD Card." So after some troubleshooting, it won't format, won't let me release the read only status on the card, so it sounds like its permanently locked itself to read only because it thought it was failing? I knew my procrastination on getting this done might cause a problem. Cameras have a 1 year warranty apparently, but flash cards only a 6 month warranty, and since our group buy was delivered last November... bleh.:( But they want you to buy their cards because they are for high use situations. But this thing didn't even last for 2 months of use. :mad:

I do see they have a larger card now of 256GB. That was the other thing I was going to ask people about. Even with the 128GB card I had, if I was parked in an active place, the camera makes parking mode videos all day long, so heck, I'm lucky to get more than a day of footage on the camera.

Edit: Have done a little research today, and seems like a lot of people have had issues with the Blackvue MicroSD cards failing. Really upsetting for them to charge such a premium on something saying it is more durable then give the shortest warranty in the industry on the excessively most expensive cards. :mad: Seems like people are having success with the Samsung Pro Endurance and the SanDisk High Endurance MicroSD cards. Still comments of failures there, but much less and much more positive ratings. Positive ratings for the Blackvue specific ones are few and far between. I wanted a larger card, but feel a little more draw to the Samsung cards, so will probably go with the 128gb in that.

Last edited:

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, that was my other point to this thread. Does anyone have some good input on how the camera works / how to use it? I'm kind of confused by how it operates.

Let me elaborate. When looking at the videos, there are Normal (N), Event (E), Parking (P), and Manual (M) recordings. I don't see anything telling me if any of these are flagged to not overwrite or to write over last. Like it would maybe make sense if any of them except the normal ones were flagged to not overwrite. Also manual recordings seem odd, in that your activation actually starts the manual recording, and only for that 1 minute long file. I think Tesla's system where it saves the last 5 minutes into a saved location makes more sense.

So I know these cameras were more created for emergency situations where you would take the files right away, but what if something happened on the road you want to save and flag to not get overwritten? I don't see a way to do that in phone app or anywhere else for that matter. I can save it off to my phone I guess, but that starts taking up a lot of room on my phone.

I tried to look up a more detailed how to on Blackvue's website, but not a lot there, there are a few FAQs all broken out, but I would think they would want to give you a rundown of how they intended you to uses it. The guide doesn't even tell you about the different recording modes, what they mean, why they are listed. I guess they just kind of expect you to know by osmosis?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for me on better usage of the camera, especially the idea of flagging files to save for later, I would appreciate the help.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm using a Samsung 128GB card without issue since December. I've also swapped over from the direct wire to the cigarette lighter connection just so it's something the cars systems understand isn't phantom 12V use. I've not seen it happen in awhile but people were getting errors wiring direct to the 12V battery etc. I found with Sentry that 12V remains on so I get parking mode anywhere that isn't my garage. Perfect system really. 5 camera recording anytime parked (soon to be 6).

Cookiebob

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My overhead dome light power source stopped powering my DR900S in late August. Anyone else have a similar experience? I was running it for about one year. I still can draw 13.5V from the dome light. The camera can handle 12-24V and requires 1 amp. But the camera doesn’t turn on. I assume there’s no longer enough current. The camera works with the console‘s 12V. I tried an identical camera and observed the same behavior. I’d hate to redo the dome wire taps. I’m leaning on just running both DR900Ss from the 12V in the console and undoing dome light taps.

Last edited:

aquadoggie

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My thumb drive filled up and I erased it, but the car still thinks it is full. I even reformatted it entirely and still the same issue. Anyone experience this?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My thumb drive filled up and I erased it, but the car still thinks it is full. I even reformatted it entirely and still the same issue. Anyone experience this?
I think Macs in particular don't actually erase the files when you "delete" them. It just moves them to a "trash" folder. So then you need to empty the trash.

Cookiebob

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My overhead dome light power source stopped powering my DR900S in late August. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Fixed by swapping out junky Home Depot taps with posi-taps (20-22 AWG).

Last edited: