dashcam conversations

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
But the S's rear window is slanted, the top of the 3's will be near horizontal
The top of the S rear window is pretty horizontal and I doubt the 3 will be much different. The cameras angle so you can point them where you want which will be slightly down.

In this pic you can see the camera at the top of the rear window which is basically at the roof line.
img_4118-jpg.1111

MarkB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I keep hoping that somehow we'll be able to use the onboard cameras in lieu of aftermarket ones. The Blackvue 650 is probably the best discreet dash cam out there -- but the car will already have cameras.

Perhaps we could subscribe to a dash cam service (on demand retrieval) at a reasonable cost.

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
It's unlikely given all the laws etc plus they still have their hands full rolling out the software to use all the cameras that are on board. Given that they let things like their Mobile app languish for 4 years I don't see them coming back around to things like dash cam support any time soon.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Blackvue has released a new 2Ch camera this last week, 490-2CH with a significantly lower starting price of $210 compared to $387 for the 650S-2CH starting price.
The 490 has 2MP on both the front and back (instead of 1MP for the 650S on the rear) and improved night vision. However, does not include wifi or the mobile viewing app & GPS is not built in (available as a separate piece).
I like the idea of the better rear camera; reviews comparing the 650S to other brands seem like it's rear camera is worse than those its compared to. And I planned to just access the recorded data if there was any incident, so not sure losing the wifi and needing to pull the SD car is that big of an issue.
Both have HD at 1920x1080/30fps (1280x720/30fps for the 650S rear camera) with the 490 using AVI while the 650S uses MP4 ...
For me, I think the better optics is worth the inconvenience even if priced the same. And seems like a definite when you look at the price difference. Am I missing some downside to the 490?

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Blackvue has released a new 2Ch camera this last week, 490-2CH with a significantly lower starting price of $210 compared to $387 for the 650S-2CH starting price.
The 490 has 2MP on both the front and back (instead of 1MP for the 650S on the rear) and improved night vision. However, does not include wifi or the mobile viewing app & GPS is not built in (available as a separate piece).
I like the idea of the better rear camera; reviews comparing the 650S to other brands seem like it's rear camera is worse than those its compared to. And I planned to just access the recorded data if there was any incident, so not sure losing the wifi and needing to pull the SD car is that big of an issue.
Both have HD at 1920x1080/30fps (1280x720/30fps for the 650S rear camera) with the 490 using AVI while the 650S uses MP4 ...
For me, I think the better optics is worth the inconvenience even if priced the same. And seems like a definite when you look at the price difference. Am I missing some downside to the 490?
Awesome, thanks! Big Blackvue fan. I also have the Blackvue Poewr Magic Pro. When I turn the car off it goes into parking mode. Motion and event activated. I have it set to record for 24 hours. I will install it as well in the 3. I don't need wifi or cloud storage. The micro SD is fine.

Gizmo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Losing the wifi would be a big thing for me, I have access to several cameras in different vehicles I drive including the 650S,
the 650S is the only one I really download footage from as it is so easy, faffing about removing SD cards and putting them into the Mac means I rarely check them!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Losing the wifi would be a big thing for me, I have access to several cameras in different vehicles I drive including the 650S,
the 650S is the only one I really download footage from as it is so easy, faffing about removing SD cards and putting them into the Mac means I rarely check them!
do you find the 1MP rear camera acceptable quality compared to the 2MP front's quality?

Gizmo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I don’t have the 2CH version,
BUT the image quality on the 1CH has been reduced by half to get more coverage on the SD card and the quality is more than good enough (you can still read the licence plates clearly)
on full HD recording it was like watching a film... the quality was too good for a dashcam IMO.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interested! One of the things on to-do list is to research dashcams for potential purchase. never had one and know little about them. Hope to find one that is not too clunky or noticeable and blends nicely with the minimal interior.
I highly recommend taking a look at www.techmoan.com . Thorough reviews on many dash cams. I have one in each car: A Mobius action cam (very stealth) and a Mini 0806 (has GPS).
Beginners guide to Dashcams:

Didn't want to hijack your thread, @MelindaV but lots of good info there. :)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I love Techmoan's videos!
But he is understandably behind on reviewing every camera out there.

I recently installed two in my car, in the back the tiny Mini 0903 (cost me $45) and in front the Roav (by Anker) (Cost me $67)
They both work well and take excellent video, and my wallet is still happy.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_366780.html?wid=44

http://amzn.to/2hllN7a

$ Trillion Musk

Buy XRP world reserve digital currency
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I highly recommend taking a look at www.techmoan.com . Thorough reviews on many dash cams. I have one in each car: A Mobius action cam (very stealth) and a Mini 0806 (has GPS).

I could not find this from a US supplier, anyone have any luck with that?

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The ROAV costs $90 now. How did you get it for $67?
Amazon's prices fluctuate often. I recommend using a price tracker to see what past prices are and to get notifications when they drop:
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Dashboard-Recorder-Wide-Angle-G-Sensor-Recording/product/B06XNSDRW8

I could not find this from a US supplier, anyone have any luck with that?
GearBest sells most of these, and you can select US warehouse to see items they stock here. Note prices are different. Strangely the 0903 yesterday was just $33 from their US warehouse but $90 from China.

Country
Country

Recommendation for dash cam that has both front and rear camera?