Dashboard scuff!! No No No!!!!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't remember reading about a change in material here. If someone can locate a thread where this was discussed, please post a link here.

I've been afraid to clean my dashboard because of all the reports of it being easily scratched. It's all kinds of dusty at this point. But when I touch it, it really doesn't feel all that soft. So it certainly seems possible that they changed the material.
Maybe I’m misremembering about a material change but, knock on dash wood, it seems like people who don’t have an earlier build don’t complain about it. I have an 06/18 build and have cleaned it every time I clean the interior, at least weekly when it was warmer, including the dash and have not noticed any scratching or scuffing. (Again, knock on dash wood)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe I’m misremembering about a material change but, knock on dash wood, it seems like people who don’t have an earlier build don’t complain about it. I have an 06/18 build and have cleaned it every time I clean the interior, at least weekly when it was warmer, including the dash and have not noticed any scratching or scuffing. (Again, knock on dash wood)
Hey @SoFlaModel3. I hope you don't mind, but I'm planning on (gently) feeling your dashboard this weekend. :D
I must know if there is a difference with the early builds.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The May build I lightly wiped off twice. The November build is dusty - it hasn't been wiped down at all, but is in need. I have lightly touched them to see and I thought they were alike. I'll have to check a little closer tonight.

For cleaning all I did so far was lightly wipe with a damp MF cloth. Definitely afraid to even breathe on the dash area.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FWIW, I have an August build, and it actually came with one of these scratches. :(

It's hidden behind the touchscreen from the driver's seat, so I didn't notice it at delivery, and don't see it while driving. Nevertheless, I can't un-know that it's there. :)

Sorry this happened, @LUXMAN... I hope there's a DIY solution out there for both of our sakes!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, I tried this stuff recommended elsewhere on the forum ….

img_2331-jpg.21505

While it made the dash a nice matte sheen, it really did nothing for the scratch or the swirl marks! :(:eek::mad:

img_2336-jpg.21510
img_2339-jpg.21513

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry @LUXMAN - Somewhere in the forum there is a thread on something similar, where someone used a microfiber cloth and the whole dash was swirled. That material really needs care. I wish it was the same as the steering wheel cover material. I had my windshield tinted and cant believe they didnt scratch it.

This appears to be thing we all need to have a solution for. Right now I pretty much feather dust it and nothing more.
The Steering wheel can scuff easy too ;( I have a scuff on the back side at 3 O'clock that constantly reminds me it's there. No idea how it got there.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I was kidding on the carpet at the time, it is looking more and more like a possibility. I wont be able to un-see it :(

So I made an appointment for my headliner replacement at the end of February.
I asked about the dash and he said it was one piece except the mesh for the speaker and the wood. So while it is only about $750 for the dash, they have to take the while thing apart and move everything into the dash. So with labor, it would be upwards of $2,000 !!

But he did say they would have the detailers take a look at it for me

pray-png.21526

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can second the 303 recommendation. Leaves a nice matte finish once it dries and hides a lot of little scuffs. Supposed to be a lot better than Armor All (on the Ridgeline forum, one of the guys uses it on his airplane). And yes, my son has wiped the dash down several times with no apparent ill effects (but honestly, I’ve learned not to be super picky with this car; it just triggers my OCD :). January ‘18 build.