Dash cam to be enabled with Autopilot V9

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good video quality, i'm impressed! We all know this will get better and with more options down the road. It's only a matter of time before other cameras are included and options to keep the cameras recording when the car is powered off etc.... They will maximize its capabilities based on the limitations of the what the stock hardware is capable of on the current fleet of Tesla's. Very exciting!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Bummer that it uses a USB port and doesn’t allow you to use the same usb drive as your music stick. So if you have a music drive and a dash cam drive you now have no front USB ports to charge.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
tbh I'm waiting for Tesla to have an adapter I imagine its soon, I'll just use the USB ports in the back until there is an elegant solution ill give them 3 months to figure out something else,

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
So on the remaining USB port you have to prioritize charging your phone or listening to music from another flash drive.
Haha, We've had our Model 3 for 4 1/2 months and have only used the phone charging feature to make sure it worked, because our phones go well over a day on a full charge. I only charge mine to 80% to extend the battery life. Maybe it would be handy on a long, multi-day road trip in which you didn't want to bring a charger. But we have wireless phone chargers at home so the charge your phone in your car feature is more of an emergency only thing.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm pretty sure that night time video is a fake. Camera moves side to side when the car isn't. The guy who posted it wasn't willing to post the original files anywhere.
I tend to agree. I think it also looks like the camera images pitch fore/aft more than the body of the Model 3 would (unless he has some sort of crappy suspension mod that isn't balanced front/rear).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm pretty sure that night time video is a fake. Camera moves side to side when the car isn't. The guy who posted it wasn't willing to post the original files anywhere.
Marc Benton? He's the guy who posted all of the various screenshots of the V9 software. I see no reason to doubt that this is real. I just watched the video, and I don't see any of the side-to-side motion that you mention.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Marc Benton? He's the guy who posted all of the various screenshots of the V9 software. I see no reason to doubt that this is real. I just watched the video, and I don't see any of the side-to-side motion that you mention.
I tend to agree too

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree, in the night video, it looks like a camera that's loose in the mount. Like the camera is swinging up and down, not left-right.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bummer that it uses a USB port and doesn’t allow you to use the same usb drive as your music stick. So if you have a music drive and a dash cam drive you now have no front USB ports to charge.
I've not followed every little bit of information on this, but wasn't the requirement that it have a folder at the root level with a specific name? Unless someone has confirmed, I don't recall reading that the drive couldn't be used for anything else. It also seems to make sense that one of the reasons to have the specific name on it is so that the car will put the videos in the right place and not cause problems with other data/music on the stick. if it was or until it was proven you can't have anything else on the drive, that maybe there can still be must on the drive too. Hell, it's just an opinion, but don't see why it can't be done. And realistically in the bus and throughput of this car, there should be more than enough bandwidth for the video to be saved there as well. It may not be written directly there, but maybe moved after the recording happens.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did he modify his suspension? Because the video from that somewhat bumpy road looks more "shaken" than I would expect for the appearance of the road.
I *think* that's because this camera doesn't have the wide angle of view that most of your aftermarket dashcams possess.