Dash cam to be enabled with Autopilot V9

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
We will have to see the details of the dashcam feature when it gets released.

I don't think it will replace a high-res dashcam. I an unsure that we can download clips to post on youtube. I doubt it will record when parked and someone bumps your car. I'm not sure how many of the cams will be enabled for dashcam functionality. I'm not sure the resolution of the cams/recordings will be good enough to read license plates at reasonable distances. IIRC, the only cam that is color is one of the 3 forward cams.

FWIW, Some low-res screenshots of the AP vision AI suggest that license plates might only be readable if directly in front at close range. That being said, this feature would have been VERY helpful in my situation where it was my word against the other driver's. https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...-a-dashcam-to-avoid-what-happened-to-me.5865/

4-jpg.14686
thue8na7k7-jpg.14687

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We will have to see the details of the dashcam feature when it gets released.

I don't think it will replace a high-res dashcam. I an unsure that we can download clips to post on youtube. I doubt it will record when parked and someone bumps your car. I'm not sure how many of the cams will be enabled for dashcam functionality. I'm not sure the resolution of the cams/recordings will be good enough to read license plates at reasonable distances. IIRC, the only cam that is color is one of the 3 forward cams.

FWIW, Some low-res screenshots of the AP vision AI suggest that license plates might only be readable if directly in front at close range. That being said, this feature would have been VERY helpful in my situation where it was my word against the other driver's. https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...-a-dashcam-to-avoid-what-happened-to-me.5865/

View attachment 14686 View attachment 14687
Being optimistic what if they surprise us?

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
oh, man, i came here to post it was playing spiderman it's so addictive. anyway, I'm very excited about this ever since I saw his tweet about this a year ago I passed on the blackvue group buy on here hopefully it's up to the hype. I still wonder how it will be stored.

Bry

Country
Country
Would be awesome if the Dashcam feature works like Ring/Nest Cam, when you can monitor your car remotely from the Tesla App - Watch Live View and Recorded video.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When this first came up last year, Elon was responding to someone asking for dashcam photos preceding a wreck. It is very possible photos/videos will only be triggered by damage detected.
Until we know, it would be advisable to set expectations low.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
definitely? maybe, the devil is in the details, the question is when. elon has a long history of making promises that aren't ready for prime time.
He made it clear this was squeezed into v9 when asked about it being v9...v9.1... etc.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Played hooky this morning can't wait for this feature. Was the 2nd time the panic alarm hit in.
the reason for this is a guy that's cut across Crossroads across 5 Lanes where the two lanes go left. I had to slam on my brakes not to hit them and before I knew it there was a cop behind us lit him up and said over his speaker "what are you doing pull over".
The best part is when the panic alarm went off my kid said UH OH .
I wonder how this will work/export I think it could have been a decent youtube video.
For reference here is what the guy was doing. btw medium traffic too I'm not sure what he was thinking.
Also, this isn't a turn lane he was doing his own thing.

Attachments

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would be awesome if the Dashcam feature works like Ring/Nest Cam, when you can monitor your car remotely from the Tesla App - Watch Live View and Recorded video.
Yes for sure. Plus if they offered a cloud service for accessing dashcam footage for a small fee like 100-200 per year many ppl would pay for it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s how Tesla’s new dashcam feature using Autopilot cameras works

A source familiar with Tesla’s version 9 software update told Electrek that there are two versions of the new update currently rolling out.

One pushed to the Model 3 has already leaked, and the second one is similar – though it includes the new dashcam feature.
Thanks for the link; lots of good info in there. It's unfortunate that it requires a dedicated flash drive. So on the remaining USB port you have to prioritize charging your phone or listening to music from another flash drive. Probably not a problem for >99% of people since you can use the rear ports to charge if needed, but I keep a dedicated phone plugged in as a display for my radar detector, so I'll have to figure something out if I want to listen to my stored music.