@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like the darker aero wheel.
Where can I buy wrap to cover mine?
Sorry -- the wrap was on the car itself covering whatever the original color was (probably black as there would be no reason to spend $1k on a color and then cover it).

The wheels -- not sure how they did it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe that car was not wrapped, but had a matte paintjob. If you go back and look at the photos/videos from the 3/31/16 reveal test drives, the jambs all match the matte black

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe that car was not wrapped, but had a matte paintjob. If you go back and look at the photos/videos from the 3/31/16 reveal test drives, the jambs all match the matte black
You're right! The door handles are a dead giveaway. They're S handles.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am looking at Midnight silver Model 3 from one of their reveal and it looks the aero wheel covers are darker than what is being shipped right now. Is it just the photo or did the color change ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0zq7ufdvjv2s6d/darkcover.JPG?dl=0

As others have pointed out, this is the matte-black alpha car from the Model 3 reveal.

These are actual wheels, not wheel covers like the production cars have. They are 20" wheels, 8.5" wide in the front and 10" wide in the back. One way to tell that they are actual wheels is that there is a cut line that allows the center part to be removed to expose the lug nuts.

Part of the wheel is painted matte-black, and the other part has a carbon-fiber finish. Click on the image below to see a really good close-up view of the wheel.

TSLA_Model<3

Wow, they are actual wheels?
The look really nice especially with Matte Black Exterior.

Perhaps they will release them on Performance Model-3.
Either way, 20" is gonna be too expensive and compromise ride comfort too much for me. Wished they can come out such wheel with 18" size.

Country
Country
Wow, they are actual wheels?
The look really nice especially with Matte Black Exterior.

Perhaps they will release them on Performance Model-3.
Either way, 20" is gonna be too expensive and compromise ride comfort too much for me. Wished they can come out such wheel with 18" size.
Why not customize the 18” aero wheels? Darken the color with plastidip and add carbon fiber appliqués and it will look very similar.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As others have pointed out, this is the matte-black alpha car from the Model 3 reveal.

These are actual wheels, not wheel covers like the production cars have. They are 20" wheels, 8.5" wide in the front and 10" wide in the back. One way to tell that they are actual wheels is that there is a cut line that allows the center part to be removed to expose the lug nuts.

Part of the wheel is painted matte-black, and the other part has a carbon-fiber finish. Click on the image below to see a really good close-up view of the wheel.
This is the car that's been on my profile photo since day 1. Been obsessed with it. In reality I probably wouldn't get a matte black car for practicality sake, but I really loved the look!

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Now these aero wheels I can live with!...just don't like the current production iteration.

TSLA_Model<3

Why not customize the 18” aero wheels? Darken the color with plastidip and add carbon fiber appliqués and it will look very similar.
That's a great idea.
So Plastidip using Rust-Oleum FlexiDip spray paint than... carbon fiber appliques... wished someone has pre-cut out design that we can just slap on our Aero wheels. I should ask Mark from RPM to make one for us.

Steve

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know how the light stripe was put on the aero wheel cover? Saw this on Electrik, would like to have it on my car, thanks
Steve

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know how the light stripe was put on the aero wheel cover? Saw this on Electrik, would like to have it on my car, thanks
Some of the Release Candidate cars actually had a silver-finished wheel underneath the cover. You're actually seeing the edge of the wheel.

One of the members of this forum (I forget who) is a Tesla employee, and actually swapped his dark production wheels for a set of the lighter-colored wheels.

Steve

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some of the Release Candidate cars actually had a silver-finished wheel underneath the cover. You're actually seeing the edge of the wheel.

One of the members of this forum (I forget who) is a Tesla employee, and actually swapped his dark production wheels for a set of the lighter-colored wheels.
Thanks for the info Garsh. Should not be to difficult to do after I get the car. Would not have to paint the entire wheel.