Damaged trunk lid

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GRiMm-V-

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After 14 months of incident free awesomeness, I goofed and backed into my garage door while it was opening. Sensors didn't go off, but I assume that was because the door had opened approximately half way (height past the ultrasonics). The top of the trunk lid hit the door handle causing the dent seen below.

Got a couple of quotes from Tesla approved body shops as the service center here in PDX said they wouldn't do these. (they only do bumpers for now) Both quotes were in the $3k+ range.

Given its a point dent + paint scrapes on the seam + another dent to the left of the badge, does it make sense to just cover it with a spoiler? Would the spoiler even hold on properly?
Anyone else with knowledge on how much a new trunk lid might cost?
(worst case I live with it as a reminder to wait for the garage door to open fully before backing out)

Attachments

Mr. Spacely

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's going to take more than a spoiler to fix. Sorry. I'm guessing you will need a new trunk which might be $1000+

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After 14 months of incident free awesomeness, I goofed and backed into my garage door while it was opening. Sensors didn't go off, but I assume that was because the door had opened approximately half way (height past the ultrasonics). The top of the trunk lid hit the door handle causing the dent seen below.

Got a couple of quotes from Tesla approved body shops as the service center here in PDX said they wouldn't do these. (they only do bumpers for now) Both quotes were in the $3k+ range.

Given its a point dent + paint scrapes on the seam + another dent to the left of the badge, does it make sense to just cover it with a spoiler? Would the spoiler even hold on properly?
Anyone else with knowledge on how much a new trunk lid might cost?
(worst case I live with it as a reminder to wait for the garage door to open fully before backing out)
If you’ve not already, I’d check with Artistic in Beaverton. I’m in vancouver, but still would go to them if needed.

GRiMm-V-

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you’ve not already, I’d check with Artistic in Beaverton. I’m in vancouver, but still would go to them if needed.
That was one of my quotes. Them and Precision auto Body on Canyon. I ended up talking to Tesla Service and they are trying to get the cost for a new lid (factory painted) incl labor in the next couple of days. The person I spoke to seemed to think that the quotes I received were substantially high. lets see what happens