Damaged Brake Springs

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone, I guess this is somewhat of a vent and to see if anyone else has come across this particular issue. I've had my RWD model 3 for about a month now. Let me first say that this month for the most part has been wonderful. I truly adore the car and can't wait for it to be completely fixed so I can enjoy driving it again.

The first day I picked up the car everything was fine. Drove it all day and towards the evening I started to hear a loud squeaking noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel. Sounded like the brake caliper was rubbing somewhere, but the noise happened even when I wasn't applying brakes. It happened anytime I moved and it was very disturbing. The SC had closed, but a friend of mine worked there and helped deliver the car. I told him what I was experiencing and he said he would personally have his tech come in on his off day the next day to look at the car since I had just got it. Brought the car in that morning and of course got the sound to replicate. Guy took it back and decided to replace the whole break caliper. Everything was fine and I took my road trip back home being that OKC doesn't have a service center nearby.

Fast forward to now, I'm having a weird, annoying squeaking noise coming from the other rear wheel. I'm thinking to myself not again. Only good thing is this particular squeak occurs when I reverse the car or when I'm making left turns. I know weird right. Scheduled mobile service to come to the house. They took a look and said the break springs are damaged and appear to be hitting the rotors at random spots causing the loud squeak. Unfortunately he didn't have any parts for this and said he would have to order the parts. That was almost 2 1/2 weeks ago. I texted the service guy and he said the parts hadn't shipped yet which was weird to him, so he decided to order a whole new brake caliper as well to hopefully get the part and that he would try to keep me updated. I also emailed the service department in California and a representative who scheduled the appointment said the part is on backorder and she would escalate my issue.

So now I'm playing the waiting game. It just sucks because I know this isn't a super bad issue so thank you for that, but this is a brand new car that I should be enjoying. Unfortunately for the last 2 weeks I just feel so embarrassed leaving work or driving anywhere with everyone hearing a loud squeak coming from the car. Most people are super gas guzzler individuals and talk so bad about Tesla. I just don't want my car to appear as the norm when it's not. I can't wait for this to be fixed so I can go back to driving the nice, quiet Tesla I love so much.

Okay I'm done and if you made it this far thank you for listening.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone, I guess this is somewhat of a vent and to see if anyone else has come across this particular issue. I've had my RWD model 3 for about a month now. Let me first say that this month for the most part has been wonderful. I truly adore the car and can't wait for it to be completely fixed so I can enjoy driving it again.

The first day I picked up the car everything was fine. Drove it all day and towards the evening I started to hear a loud squeaking noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel. Sounded like the brake caliper was rubbing somewhere, but the noise happened even when I wasn't applying brakes. It happened anytime I moved and it was very disturbing. The SC had closed, but a friend of mine worked there and helped deliver the car. I told him what I was experiencing and he said he would personally have his tech come in on his off day the next day to look at the car since I had just got it. Brought the car in that morning and of course got the sound to replicate. Guy took it back and decided to replace the whole break caliper. Everything was fine and I took my road trip back home being that OKC doesn't have a service center nearby.

Fast forward to now, I'm having a weird, annoying squeaking noise coming from the other rear wheel. I'm thinking to myself not again. Only good thing is this particular squeak occurs when I reverse the car or when I'm making left turns. I know weird right. Scheduled mobile service to come to the house. They took a look and said the break springs are damaged and appear to be hitting the rotors at random spots causing the loud squeak. Unfortunately he didn't have any parts for this and said he would have to order the parts. That was almost 2 1/2 weeks ago. I texted the service guy and he said the parts hadn't shipped yet which was weird to him, so he decided to order a whole new brake caliper as well to hopefully get the part and that he would try to keep me updated. I also emailed the service department in California and a representative who scheduled the appointment said the part is on backorder and she would escalate my issue.

So now I'm playing the waiting game. It just sucks because I know this isn't a super bad issue so thank you for that, but this is a brand new car that I should be enjoying. Unfortunately for the last 2 weeks I just feel so embarrassed leaving work or driving anywhere with everyone hearing a loud squeak coming from the car. Most people are super gas guzzler individuals and talk so bad about Tesla. I just don't want my car to appear as the norm when it's not. I can't wait for this to be fixed so I can go back to driving the nice, quiet Tesla I love so much.

Okay I'm done and if you made it this far thank you for listening.
When I got the the part about driving/leaving work I started imagining it my head and cringed for you. I can only guess that they love to make comments ...so any little imperfection is amplified (hey, kind of like the shorts do with Elon tweets! Lol). I get asked things like “can you drive it in the rain without getting electrocuted?” by giant truck driving Midwest blue collar types. I actually have a slightly similar feeling about my accent headlight being out... they look all nice and fancy when they work, but with one just not even working it feels...I don’t know....I feel a bit embarrassed about that, especially since I can’t get my SC to respond to me! But I’ll take the light being out over the noise you’re getting!! No offense! ;)

My only guess, and I’m not “in the know” at all, is that they’re prioritizing production versus repair/replace and don’t have the inventory built up so are behind. But even if that was exactly right, that isn’t news that’s gonna make you feel better! Here’s to hoping they get the needed parts in ASAP and get you back to fully adoring it!

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I got the the part about driving/leaving work I started imagining it my head and cringed for you. I can only guess that they love to make comments ...so any little imperfection is amplified (hey, kind of like the shorts do with Elon tweets! Lol). I get asked things like “can you drive it in the rain without getting electrocuted?” by giant truck driving Midwest blue collar types. I actually have a slightly similar feeling about my accent headlight being out... they look all nice and fancy when they work, but with one just not even working it feels...I don’t know....I feel a bit embarrassed about that, especially since I can’t get my SC to respond to me! But I’ll take the light being out over the noise you’re getting!! No offense! ;)

My only guess, and I’m not “in the know” at all, is that they’re prioritizing production versus repair/replace and don’t have the inventory built up so are behind. But even if that was exactly right, that isn’t news that’s gonna make you feel better! Here’s to hoping they get the needed parts in ASAP and get you back to fully adoring it!
Yep I think if my accent light was out I probably would still feel somewhat embarrassed but the squeaking is just annoying and very noticeable. Smh. No offense taken and I hope they somehow manage to get the part soon. I understand to focus on production but you really need to keep the customers already out there happy. They're the ones that will recommend the car for even more customers. Now unfortunately I can't speak as highly as I would like. It's not the car persay but more if you do experience issues it just takes too long to get fixed and some people don't have the patience. I have another car that I just don't want to drive because I love my Tesla so much, but I want it back perfect like it should be. Here's hoping for it to get fixed and I hope your accent light gets fixed as well. I guess a good thing about this is it seems that it's not a crazy problem that everyone experiences so maybe I just got a bad set of brake equipment.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep I think if my accent light was out I probably would still feel somewhat embarrassed but the squeaking is just annoying and very noticeable. Smh. No offense taken and I hope they somehow manage to get the part soon. I understand to focus on production but you really need to keep the customers already out there happy. They're the ones that will recommend the car for even more customers. Now unfortunately I can't speak as highly as I would like. It's not the car persay but more if you do experience issues it just takes too long to get fixed and some people don't have the patience. I have another car that I just don't want to drive because I love my Tesla so much, but I want it back perfect like it should be. Here's hoping for it to get fixed and I hope your accent light gets fixed as well. I guess a good thing about this is it seems that it's not a crazy problem that everyone experiences so maybe I just got a bad set of brake equipment.
The noise would drive me nuts! I’ve had service fix a rear door rattle noise and center console vibration/rattle noise as well so just the noise by itself is like torture to my ears!

I got motivated to call after replying to you and got ahold of someone, scheduled my wife’s car for next Friday and Mobile is going to call me soon to schedule coming out for my 3. No appointment yet so... holding off on celebrating just yet.

Keep us posted @GaryW. Couldn’t agree more with you that they need to keep us customers happy. We’re presenting their product to the masses! Most of which are people that don’t know, don’t want to know, or for some reason just want to hate EVs, especially Tesla.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear this and do hope they come through for you. Where does the Ranger come from? Do they come from Dallas? or do they have some Rangers based in OKC even though there is no SC? Just curious because my first "road" trip will be next week and it is to OKC and Shawnee, then back to Dallas. Just curious what any kind of support / repair situation should there be any break down or issue.

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The noise would drive me nuts! I’ve had service fix a rear door rattle noise and center console vibration/rattle noise as well so just the noise by itself is like torture to my ears!

I got motivated to call after replying to you and got ahold of someone, scheduled my wife’s car for next Friday and Mobile is going to call me soon to schedule coming out for my 3. No appointment yet so... holding off on celebrating just yet.

Keep us posted @GaryW. Couldn’t agree more with you that they need to keep us customers happy. We’re presenting their product to the masses! Most of which are people that don’t know, don’t want to know, or for some reason just want to hate EVs, especially Tesla.
I definitely will keep you updated. Took the car to get PPF this morning and ran into a guy with a mustang who said it's just something about elon. Makes me not like Tesla and that they couldn't even reach production levels. I said well Elon is optimistic sometimes, but you know what he does what he says he's going to do even if it takes longer than expected. Also tell me what CEO is sleeping at the floor of their factory many nights when they can be in a mansion and also what other car manufacturers who been making cars for only 6 years was able to reach such a high production capacity so soon and who has customers who want the car. Also, btw ford has a 2 million car recall for a safety issue, so it's not just Tesla with problems. It happens to everyone, but Tesla is the one always in the news because they're changing the status quo.

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear this and do hope they come through for you. Where does the Ranger come from? Do they come from Dallas? or do they have some Rangers based in OKC even though there is no SC? Just curious because my first "road" trip will be next week and it is to OKC and Shawnee, then back to Dallas. Just curious what any kind of support / repair situation should there be any break down or issue.
I believe they come from Dallas if I'm not mistaken. If you were to have a major issue they would call a tow truck to send the car to dallas from what I heard from another owner.

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With no engine noise to cover up sounds, it is really hard to ignore little squeaks and rattles. You would think that Americans would love this homegrown company employing Americans. Perplexing.
You would think so especially one that's making really good cars, but people don't like change. We see this with everything. Samsung and others thought the Iphone would fail and it took Americans a while to give Apple a shot and realize there phone was clearly the best at the time.

But you're correct. With no other noise except that squeak it's very annoying and embarrassing driving anywhere. :( Luckily the guy that I took to get my paint protection has a Model S so he already understands the situation.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the exact same issue with the squealing in reverse and turning left. in my case though, I've been lazy to contact service as it doesn't bother me that much.
if it makes you feel any better, I had an A4 before the Model3, and I had a similar issue (actually worse IMO) that service couldn't fix over my 4 years of owning the car. So they happen to all cars.

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the exact same issue with the squealing in reverse and turning left. in my case though, I've been lazy to contact service as it doesn't bother me that much.
if it makes you feel any better, I had an A4 before the Model3, and I had a similar issue (actually worse IMO) that service couldn't fix over my 4 years of owning the car. So they happen to all cars.
The funny thing is I had a A5 that had a break squeak but it was only in cold temperatures until the rotors warmed up. This one the service guy found the issue but just awaiting parts so it's definitely fixable, but that sucks they couldn't fix the problem in 4 years.

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone, just a quick update. My service tech came to my house Friday morning and switched out the rear break springs and ever since then the squeak is finally gone. I even took a road trip of about 1015 miles round trip and it hasn't returned. So I'm a happy camper now. Yay.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone, just a quick update. My service tech came to my house Friday morning and switched out the rear break springs and ever since then the squeak is finally gone. I even took a road trip of about 1015 miles round trip and it hasn't returned. So I'm a happy camper now. Yay.
Awesome news!! Thank you for keeping us posted, so glad to hear the fix took care of it!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Yep he looked at them and said he think the person that put them on bent them in a bad way that made them break off later on.
It's hard to get good help these days. I'm surprised Tesla can build cars as nice as they do without having to go to Taiwan, China, Korea, etc. It will only get better as Tesla employees become more experienced. Glad they got you fixed up!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I get asked things like “can you drive it in the rain without getting electrocuted?” by giant truck driving Midwest blue collar types.
Just tell them (in a very serious manner) that sometimes, if it's raining really hard, and you drive through a big puddle at speed while stepping on the accelerator, sometimes you will get a little tingle in the dingle, if you know what I mean.