Question CyberTruck Tires

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

JohnMon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm wondering about those monstrous tires. What are they and are they liable to cost as much as the truck when they do wear out? It would be great if @Mad Hungarian could chime in, I'm pretty sure he would have noticed the tires.

Reactions: 1 person

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I can tell you that they are Goodyears. I thought I had a picture of the size, but it ended up being blurry. You didn't get a lot of time up close. I can also tell you they were likely made just for this truck as their sidewall matches the design of the 6 "spoke" wheel cover.
IMG_6357.jpeg

Reactions: 7 people

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm wondering about those monstrous tires. What are they and are they liable to cost as much as the truck when they do wear out? It would be great if @Mad Hungarian could chime in, I'm pretty sure he would have noticed the tires.
I sure did, I was right there live to touch them :)

1574718285688.png

I can confirm the following:

- Make/model is Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
- Size is almost certainly 35x12.50R20
- Clay prototype in pic above had extra rubber cladding that concealed the original sidewalls, the running prototype did not

Due to the extreme off-road nature of these tires I would be absolutely amazed if they were to appear as the actual production tires. While something similar may be offered as an off-road package, I'm almost certain we're going to see a standard equipment tire that is much quieter and efficient in nature. Perhaps one of their suppliers is already cooking up a new form of LRR all-terrain tire just for this application! I'm anxious to see.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnMon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Cool, thanks. Need tires that will last more than one season, I bet they will be pretty pricey.

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Cool, thanks. Need tires that will last more than one season, I bet they will be pretty pricey.
That exact model/size in the U.S. goes for about $460, here in Canada $700
Again, I do NOT expect these to be the standard production tires as they are range-killers par excellence. They'll need to use something a little more reasonable in the rolling resistance department if they're going to hit their numbers. I do expect a large number of these trucks are going to be used commercially and those folks will not want anything like this kind of short life, noisy, expensive off-road tire.
Having said that I wouldn't rule out such a tire being offered as an optional off-road package, because there are absolutely going to be some buyers who want the full off-road look/capabilities.
And I fully expect a whole new category of efficient all-terrain models is being worked on by the big tire companies specifically for the needs of this beast as well as Rivian, Bollinger and offerings to come from the incumbents.

Reactions: 4 people

fritter63

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
They remind me of the BFG "Mud Terrain" tires I used run on my Toyota. They did last pretty well, but on dry pavement they are noisy as hell.... people used to turn around to see what was coming down the street. I eventually switched to All Terrain, they did pretty well in the snow as well. They're not good for your mileage/efficiency.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Seven spokes. I see seven.
I guess I forgot how to count past 6. That 7th is hard to see ! Thanks for the correction.

Either way it will be a nice little upgrade package if you get that wheel and tire from the factory! And very likley a hit to range.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had similar thoughts on the tires: No way these would be the standard delivery. I'd be a good option for the "rock crawling" set, but I would wager that 95% of these trucks will not leave the pavement, and many will become "mall crawlers" (similar to many ICE trucks and SUVs already around here). That would be a wasteful underuse of the truck's capabilities, but the rear will kneel down so it'll be easier to load those big boxes from the big box stores.:)

Last edited:

DMC-81

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
I had similar thoughts on the tires: No way these would be the standard delivery. I'd be a good option for the "rock crawling" set, but I would wager that 95% of these trucks will not leave the pavement, and many will become "mall crawlers" (similar to many ICE trucks and SUVs already around here). That would be a wasteful underuse of the truck's capabilities, but the rear will kneel down so it'll be easier to load those big boxes from the big box stores.:)

Yes, I hope that there will be at least 3 tire options for delivery:
1) a highway truck tire for the mall crawler owner
2) the aggressive tread tires on the reveal truck for the serious off roader
3) an in-between version with good highway characteristics but enough tread for occasional trips off road.

I'd likely choose the third option if offered as it will match my intended use. I chose a tire like this for my previous SUV daily driver and it worked out well.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.