Current Brake Light Design

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Caulin

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. The current brake light design has me questioning whether or not its legal. Brake lights cannot be on trunks, hatches, or tailgates. The entire brake light of the cybertruck looks like its on the tailgate. It looks like Tesla got around this by having secondary brake/turn signal lights on the inside of the bed that are visible when the tailgate is left down. Im wondering if those are going to be large enough to be legal.

A second point, the main lights are right on the edge of the tailgate. Im sure im not the only one that has seen a lot of trucks with minor dents or major bends in the tailgate. Normal truck tailgates take a lot of abuse. If someone damages their tailgate and the lights stop working, they will have no choice but to replace what im sure is a very expensive part.

All that being said I still want one!!! But will probably have to settle for my M3 and buying a cheaper work truck.

Attachments

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Musk is pretty straight forward that Tesla's "prototypes" are pretty much the production vehicle - they don't follow the crazy BS that most other makers put out that will never see the light of day. However, the things can and will be tweaked, but I bet truly it is pretty close, as long as they have some sort of light integrated that they can make legal then the one on the tailgate wouldn't be primary. The mirrors are still another case in point - using cameras, they may have to add something before it truly hits production if they don't get a law changed - or likely many laws, as I think some of these items are laws at state levels - not a federal level. Likely something else that should change - you've got to keep up with 50 different state laws - unnecessary - should be the same across all 50 states.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. The current brake light design has me questioning whether or not its legal. Brake lights cannot be on trunks, hatches, or tailgates. The entire brake light of the cybertruck looks like its on the tailgate. It looks like Tesla got around this by having secondary brake/turn signal lights on the inside of the bed that are visible when the tailgate is left down.
Tesla wouldn't be the first company to have the primary brake lights & turn signals on a movable surface, plus a secondary light/signal in case that movable surface is... moved.

Im wondering if those are going to be large enough to be legal.
There are regulations on intensity, but none on size.
Have you seen just how small the brake lights are for a Tesla Model 3?
1595619839311-png.34959
A second point, the main lights are right on the edge of the tailgate. Im sure im not the only one that has seen a lot of trucks with minor dents or major bends in the tailgate.
This tailgate will be made of 3mm-thick 30x-series cold-rolled stainless steel.
It's going to take one heck of a hit to damage this thing.
Basically, the taillate assembly will be armor-protected. :)

Last edited:

Caulin

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@garsh honestly I didn’t know other cars had been made with that light configuration like the Audi.

snd regarding the stainless steel body. i don’t think that will mean much. I’ve seen tailgates look like a “U” shape from various things. Trees and fork lifts to name a few. Someone messes up while dumping something into a bed with heavy machinery and even thick steel plate won’t hold up. time will tell though.

gary in NY

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The chevy Bolt has brake lights on the hatch, and auxiliary brake lights on the pillars. I noticed this when I did a test drive some years ago now, and talked to the sales rep about it. Seemed pretty innovative at the time.

DanSz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Bolt secondary brake lamps are in the bumper. There’s nothing in the “pillars” Except plastic and glass. And nothing on the inside When the hatch is open.

DanSz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
I find it laughably ridiculous when anyone may think Tesla is going to ship something that’s illegal in any given jurisdiction. Like they don’t do their research into the laws or something and yet, somehow, they can design ultra-safe cars to the highest crash standards. Sorry. Have a little more confidence they know what they are doing.

i do agree that the lights on all Teslas are a little on the small side.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I find it laughably ridiculous when anyone may think Tesla is going to ship something that’s illegal in any given jurisdiction.
I think Caulin's concern is that the production version of the truck will end up looking different because the prototype may not be legal as-is.

While Tesla generally ends up shipping what they reveal, the reveal versions are often missing important safety features like side mirrors and windshield wipers. So generally speaking, it's not an unreasonable concern.

serpico007

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I'm really looking forward to the revised street legal changes on the truck. Tesla is a company that puts thought into the design to make items street legal. Other companies will just have the accountants and legal department finish off their models to make it street legal. ;)