Creaking noise while steering at low speeds.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have an idea what this creaking noise could be? Noise seems to be coming from the front suspension or steering parts. Car is rwd with Vin 4xxx.
My next available appointment at the SC (Burbank CA) is on Nov. 20th and I don't want my wheels to fall off by then.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I've had this same issue. Took it once and they couldn't replicate it. Happened again today. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've heard a sound exactly like that. For me, luckily, it was nothing more than having the driver's seat being set all the way back and down (I'm tall). I moved it up and forward about 1/4 of an inch and voila! No more sound.
Hope that's all it is for you! :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I've had this same issue. Took it once and they couldn't replicate it. Happened again today. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow.
Yes it went away by itself, only RO reappear for another day. Been good ever since... So weird

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dealer? I thought Tesla didn't have dealers and instead dealt with customers directly :)

All kidding aside, please keep us posted.

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In service. I was able to replicate it during a test drive. Unfortunately they are so busy at my service center, despite my scheduled appointment, that they won't be able to look at it before end of week. Drove off in my 75D loaner, which btw these days are Enterprise cars.

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update for those who follow. As of Friday night they have not resolved the issue but are keeping the car for further analysis.
Funny side story. My 7 year old asked me today: "Dad, when you get a new car, can we get this one instead of yours". I guess after 6 months he considers my 3 OLD already and decided the S is better because it is faster....lol. When I told him we could get two 3s for what this S cost he thought about it for a moment and replied: "Ok dad. Let's not get this one and just get another one of yours for me".

Maikeru

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We had the same creaking sound. The rangers confirmed that it was something that they could not fix locally....so after a 2.5 hour drive to the closest service center this is what resulted (taken from the paperwork).

"Customer states that there is creaking sound from either right or left front suspension during slow turn such as parking or during light braking or acceleration"

"Confirmed client concern. Inspected and found bolt on subframe to lower control arm not torqued to specification. Applied lock tight and torqued bolt to factory specifications. Reroad tested and confirmed noise is no longer present."

"Correction: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis"

So the problem is not overly common but it is not unheard of.

ah_cruz24

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same creaking sound at low speed while turning the wheel. At residential speed, the sound becomes a rumbling (similar to a washing machine with belts tumbling in it). Today I took it into the service center in Fremont, CA (James was my advisor). We went for a drive but unfortunately we couldn't reproduce the sounds. He then got his tech to raise the car and inspect the front suspension. It turns out that my sway bar was loose! The tech fixed this and fully inspected the front suspension and wheel bearings. He also inspected my rear suspension (no issues there). I'm thankful for James to get that inspection done although he couldn't hear any sounds. Hope this helps you all.

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The same thing started happening about a week ago. The video in the first post sounds exactly like my car. Loud creaking, sounds almost like metal fatigue and when you turn the steering wheel quickly left and right there's almost a high pitched whining sound. I have a scheduled appointment for next week. Hope they have seen it before and can fix it quickly.

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife dropped off the car today. They need the car for a "few" days and have provided her a Chevy Cruze. :(

Also, the armrest that covers the center console storage stopped latching awhile back ago. They want to charge us $265 to repair/replace the latch as it is not under warranty. Not happy about that.

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They are adamant that they won't replace under warranty. Any thoughts?

BTW, Tesla still has my car for the suspension fix. Has been in the shop since Wednesday. Everyday they text us saying the part will be in tomorrow. Let's see if tomorrow is really tomorrow. :)

My wife is fed up with buying gas for the Cruze. Given the mileage she puts on the car, she's back to filling up two to three times per week.

Dangermouse

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have this bad right now. Left front. Too embarrassing to drive, using wife’s car. Appointment on Wednesday...