Crazy questions/comments about your Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Oh okay. So apparently they have a pressure sensor on the handle. Nice :)
Extra note — my answer is technically wrong.

Previous to this change, if you disabled Walk Up Unlock, you ended up with the functionality we have now. To that end technically Walk Up Unlock is gone as it’s now 2 steps “walk up” + push in door handles or press trunk release.

To me it’s still walk up unlock and the benefit is your mirrors are not constantly freaking out / you have more control over the timing of the doors unlocking.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Technically it probably isn't a pressure switch. It picks up when the handle is moved not just touched. My wife's van detects touch on the handle but on the Model 3 you have to move the handle to get it to unlock. I have heard that some you barely press it and it will unlock. I need to check how sensitive mine is.

PatrickM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with SoFlaModel3, I like the newer version of the walk-up unlock. I had the issue of the car unlocking whenever I was within 20 feet it, or I'd walk into the garage to put out the garbage or something and the car would unlock. This new version is better - except that it doesn't unlock the charge port based on proximity. So you have to unlock the car by pushing in one of the door handles, and then the charge port unlocks.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with SoFlaModel3, I like the newer version of the walk-up unlock. I had the issue of the car unlocking whenever I was within 20 feet it, or I'd walk into the garage to put out the garbage or something and the car would unlock. This new version is better - except that it doesn't unlock the charge port based on proximity. So you have to unlock the car by pushing in one of the door handles, and then the charge port unlocks.
I have a trick for you! After deep sleep, press the trunk release and quickly let go. That will wake the car and now you can remove the charge cable!

Runt8

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
I’m betting/hoping this will be changed in a future update. I can’t think of any technical reason why it couldn’t work.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a trick for you! After deep sleep, press the trunk release and quickly let go. That will wake the car and now you can remove the charge cable!
I’ve ran into the charge port not unlocking when I go to unplug first thing in the morning. So, my solution, since I have my keycard in my phone case is to swipe it at the B Pillar and it unlocks the car and the charge port so I can unplug it. Previously, I had to open the rear door, close it then unplug

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
6. "I heard that if everyone had an electric car, the grid wouldn't be able to handle it and we'd run out of electricity" and then they are totally surprised when I say that it uses amount the same amount of electricity as our electric oven or electric house air conditioning unit and that you can schedule it to charge whenever." -- This is no dumb home appliance; the ability to schedule its power consumption is mind-blowing to the regular folk and you are smart to highlight that feature, but don't expect folks to understand that they are dealing with the future here. The ability to schedule charging and customize the level of charge was a nice surprise for me ... along with the other few hundred surprises that makes this a car everyone should have but that not everyone is prepared to have. If utilities really got their act together, they could create some nice DER programs that would help them and would make owning a Tesla a bit more ... lucrative. One can only hope.
Just tell them that mining for bitcoin is using more power than EVs are.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I’ve ran into the charge port not unlocking when I go to unplug first thing in the morning. So, my solution, since I have my keycard in my phone case is to swipe it at the B Pillar and it unlocks the car and the charge port so I can unplug it. Previously, I had to open the rear door, close it then unplug
I think I have found a solution to this with my works ChargePoint chargers. If I press and hold the chargepoint button on the want until the light turns white then I let go and pull the wand and adapter out all at the same time. I haven’t had to fiddle with the car being locked at all.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think I have found a solution to this with my works ChargePoint chargers. If I press and hold the chargepoint button on the want until the light turns white then I let go and pull the wand and adapter out all at the same time. I haven’t had to fiddle with the car being locked at all.
This didn’t work just now. It still requires the car to be unlocked. I tried carefully to push the back handle but mine doesn’t unlock without popping the back door open.

Joaquin

Country
Country
This didn’t work just now. It still requires the car to be unlocked. I tried carefully to push the back handle but mine doesn’t unlock without popping the back door open.
I had a similar experience.
Also, how do you know (without pulling) that the charging port is locked/unlocked? No change in LED color/blink, right?

Allan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I probably should be too embarassed to admit this but I thought the walk-up/unlock change was my car learning me. My office is above my garage so I walk past the car a dozen times a day and it always unlocks and then it is sad I don't take it for a spin. When it stopped doing that I assumed it had learned from my behavior and now waited for me to touch the handle to open up. I like my perspective better than reality.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had a similar experience.
Also, how do you know (without pulling) that the charging port is locked/unlocked? No change in LED color/blink, right?
When the car is unlocked, the LED light by the charge port lights up, then you can push the button on the charge cord handle and pull it out.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
When the car is unlocked, the LED light by the charge port lights up, then you can push the button on the charge cord handle and pull it out.
Usually for me that is when the light is white. Not sure if that really means anything or not. Usually with green/blue/red I cannot pull it out.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Usually for me that is when the light is white. Not sure if that really means anything or not. Usually with green/blue/red I cannot pull it out.
I believe that is correct. When I push the charge cord handle (UMC that came with the car), the LED shows white, then I can pull it out.

PatrickM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For me the "problem" is when using a non-tesla charger. No button to press, so I end up opening the car and manually stopping the charge in the touch screen or the phone...
Yeah, that's been my issue too. It's fine with Tesla's chargers - I hit the button when I have my phone nearby and all is good. But it's the non-Tesla chargers that are a problem. If I unplug power before I unlock the car, then the adapter gets stuck in the charging port (and the charging port door closes on it which makes me worried that it will break the door). Unlocking the car at that point doesn't release the adapter. So then I have to go back to the charger, authorize, plug in, get the green charging light indicator, and then unplug the charger again - this time with the car unlocked, and I can then remove the adapter from the port.

This has happened enough times that I know have it ingrained my head "unlock the car first no matter what".

On a related note, I was listening to the Consumer Reports video about the Tesla braking issue here:

And they mention in the video (starting at 12:12) that Elon implied that a key fob will be offered in the future (at time 13:16) by saying "we really need to provide a normal key to the customers of this car".

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
For me the "problem" is when using a non-tesla charger. No button to press, so I end up opening the car and manually stopping the charge in the touch screen or the phone...
Chargepoint chargers are non-tesla but they still work this way with the button on the wand even though you are using a 1772 adapter. I am not sure of other manufacturer's versions of the 1772 wand but the chargepoint wand if you press the button to remove the chargepoint wand the car will act on that.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Yeah, that's been my issue too. It's fine with Tesla's chargers - I hit the button when I have my phone nearby and all is good. But it's the non-Tesla chargers that are a problem. If I unplug power before I unlock the car, then the adapter gets stuck in the charging port (and the charging port door closes on it which makes me worried that it will break the door). Unlocking the car at that point doesn't release the adapter. So then I have to go back to the charger, authorize, plug in, get the green charging light indicator, and then unplug the charger again - this time with the car unlocked, and I can then remove the adapter from the port.

This has happened enough times that I know have it ingrained my head "unlock the car first no matter what".

On a related note, I was listening to the Consumer Reports video about the Tesla braking issue here:

And they mention in the video (starting at 12:12) that Elon implied that a key fob will be offered in the future (at time 13:16) by saying "we really need to provide a normal key to the customers of this car".
I saw that too. I used to get CR magazines in the past but stopped. I know there was a lot of fud on the facebook model 3 page that CR is working for the ICE manufacturers or big oil but after seeing that video I disagree. I think they really do try to be fair and honest and the big story they found actually turned out to be something real and made the car a better vehicle.

On the chargepoint charger you do need to have the car unlocked but it will respond to the button so sorry if I misunderstood those comments. On a side note today I managed to press the back door handle just enough to get the car to wake up without the back door opening. The mirrors didn't unfold and the car didn't unlock BUT I was able to get the adapter out of the car with it in that state. So I think if you can 'wake up' the car without necessarily unlocking it you can still use the chargepoint button trick to get the adapter out of the car.