Crazy questions/comments about your Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
But isn't that accurate? They did take away the "walk up unlock" feature, but the "walk away lock" option can still be toggled, so that should be mentioned it in the manual.
But isn't that accurate? They did take away the "walk up unlock" feature, but the "walk away lock" option can still be toggled, so that should be mentioned it in the manual.
On page 82 of the manual (PDF version), the "Walk Up Unlock" is noted under Locks option. I wonder if they took that away because of all the issues people were having with it not unlocking, etc...

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On page 82 of the manual (PDF version), the "Walk Up Unlock" is noted under Locks option. I wonder if they took that away because of all the issues people were having with it not unlocking, etc...
Correct, this option was taken away a couple versions back because of exactly those issues.

ETA: I just checked page 82 on the manual and can't find any mention of Walk Up Unlock. Wonder if you are looking at an outdated manual? I opened the manual from the My Vehicle Profile tab on the website.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Correct, this option was taken away a couple versions back because of exactly those issues.

ETA: I just checked page 82 on the manual and can't find any mention of Walk Up Unlock. Wonder if you are looking at an outdated manual? I opened the manual from the My Vehicle Profile tab on the website.
I downloaded a PDF copy a few weeks back.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ah that explains it; that's outdated as there was an update on April 20,2018. Your Tesla account should have the most updated version. Click "manage" on your car's photo and on the next page scroll down a bit and you'll see a link to the Owner's Manual.
I should have known that since the software is constantly changing, it is better to refer to the manual in the car itself. Thanks!

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ah that explains it; that's outdated as there was an update on April 20,2018. Your Tesla account should have the most updated version. Click "manage" on your car's photo and on the next page scroll down a bit and you'll see a link to the Owner's Manual.
I should have known that since the software is constantly changing, it is better to refer to the manual in the car itself. Thanks!
I just realized you can always download the latest version of the manual by going to tesla.com->Your account->Manage car->Vehicle Details->Owner's Manual.

That way I didn't have to light candles in my car last night.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just realized you can always download the latest version of the manual by going to tesla.com->Your account->Manage car->Vehicle Details->Owner's Manual.

That way I didn't have to light candles in my car last night.
Good info. I didn't know that! Now I have to keep hitting F5 for the latest manual! :D I thought my F5 days were over...:p

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Everyone here knows about Teslas, with very few exceptions. The most common question is "how much did in cost?" People ask a bit less directly and more politely than that, but it is what they ask most. My response is to breakdown the price and explain the options I chose (or was required to take as an early adopter) and always point out that I've waited years. The second most asked question is "how far can you go in it?" As far as I want! :sunglasses: I do use the inquiry as a means for explaining the variability of range in an AEV and the ever-growing network of Superchargers.

People are wowed by the simple interior, center touchscreen, and lack of driver positioned gauges. I am not a highly social person, but I do love showing people my model 3.
Yep, Pacific NW loves all Teslas. On my drive to work I see at least half a dozen every day! Today I even spotted another midnight silver (it's my color too -- props for the great choice) in the wild ... one that wasn't mine ... because I still stop when I see it and realize that my car is *my* car! Interesting that you actually get into the nitty-gritty of costs (I find the question offensive mostly because it is asked directly "how much did it cost?") -- you are a better advocate than me. I do enjoy showing it off and explaining all it's pieces of tech and how they work together to make a beautiful, extremely smart car. I work with engineers, so they all know what it does :).

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Hey stop it! I haven't read the manual yet. This is new for me I love driving the car so much I haven't had any spare time to read it. Maybe tonight I'll light some candles and dim the lights and have some intimate moments with the manual.
Make sure the intimate moments are inside the TM3 ... then you'd really be ... uhm ... dedicated (or weird). Watch out for the wax drippings though ... they might not come out easily. Have fun!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
"After a ride they are speechless and just talk about how amazing it is and are grinning from ear to ear." <-- yep, pretty much! I love the speechless part or the whooo-ing when you step on the accelerator.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Here in Colorado most people seem to know what it is so my questions haven't been too odd.
1. "They should have a reserve battery so that when the main battery goes dead on a long drive, you can charge it from the reserve." Which isn't totally stupid - but they were flummoxed when I said "or just have a large battery that includes the reserve and make sure not to run out."
2. "It runs on electricity but I haven't seen very many EV charging stations so you'd have no place to charge it. "
Right... because electrical outlets are so hard to find. Everywhere.
3. "what's the point of the big glass roof if you can't open it?"
4. "what are you going to do when Tesla goes bankrupt?" I've gotten this several times.
5. "it's a neat car but I want one that I can take on road trips" and then when I explain the supercharger network they still look dubious. And then when I show a map of superchargers, they still look dubious and then pick some spot in North Dakota that they couldn't get to and say "yeah, but what if I wanted to drive there". And I'm like "do you really want to go to middle of nowhere North Dakota?" and they said "no, but I'd want the option of being able to".
6. "I heard that if everyone had an electric car, the grid wouldn't be able to handle it and we'd run out of electricity" and then they are totally surprised when I say that it uses amount the same amount of electricity as our electric oven or electric house air conditioning unit and that you can schedule it to charge whenever.
6. "I heard that if everyone had an electric car, the grid wouldn't be able to handle it and we'd run out of electricity" and then they are totally surprised when I say that it uses amount the same amount of electricity as our electric oven or electric house air conditioning unit and that you can schedule it to charge whenever." -- This is no dumb home appliance; the ability to schedule its power consumption is mind-blowing to the regular folk and you are smart to highlight that feature, but don't expect folks to understand that they are dealing with the future here. The ability to schedule charging and customize the level of charge was a nice surprise for me ... along with the other few hundred surprises that makes this a car everyone should have but that not everyone is prepared to have. If utilities really got their act together, they could create some nice DER programs that would help them and would make owning a Tesla a bit more ... lucrative. One can only hope.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wait, walk up unlock is gone? Wow, how did I miss that?
Walk up unlock is still there in realty, but how it works changed. Gone is the car flipping out the mirrors and unlocking all doors as your phone nears the car — in is the car unlocking as you press in a handle with the phone nearby. This is so much better!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Walk up unlock is still there in realty, but how it works changed. Gone is the car flipping out the mirrors and unlocking all doors as your phone nears the car — in is the car unlocking as you press in a handle with the phone nearby. This is so much better!
Oh okay. So apparently they have a pressure sensor on the handle. Nice :)